Is my fast blade a “crutch”?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just to put visuals to what Zyu and NL are talking about. These are followthroughs from one of the videos posted in post #34:

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.17.09 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.17.41 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 1.18.08 AM.jpg

Compare them to the followthrough in the shots from the video with your previous blade. The stills I posted look much more like the followthrough in a tennis shot where recovery is not an issue. But it also indicates a followthrough to the side rather than forward. In two of those, your chest is turned almost fully towards the BH side.

[edit] I said that the followthrough looked more like a tennis followthrough. I want to qualify what I meant. I am talking about the finishing position of the arm where a tennis player lets the arm whip around so the hand ends at about the opposite shoulder (right hand with racket to left shoulder for righty). But during the stroke, a good tennis player will have his body lead the arm (as NextLevel and Zyu were saying) and the motion leading up to and through the contact would be forward. It would only be the continued motion from letting the racket really whip that would cause the racket hand to end at the opposite shoulder across the midline. But if you watched a tennis player's feet, the transfer of weight and rotation would not look like it was going right to left as is clear in the stills above.

In tennis, the motion leading to and sustained after would be forward and the followthrough would whip till the arm wraps. But you don't want the arm to wrap in TT:

Not that you should do what the guys in the video are doing. But so you can see that everything leading up to contact is forward. Even when Nadal is leaning back for extra topspin he gets his chest and arm to move forward. :)

Ideally, in TT, at least while training the strokes, the racket and arm do not notably cross the midline of your body (nose, eyes, between the eyebrows). Top players, in big rallies often cross the midline. But they have trained the strokes so well that they know where their body is. And when they do that, they are usually far enough back that they can recover for the next shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: BryanY