Cross Laterality and Table Tennis

I don't know about you, but I have crossed laterality. my right hand is dominant, but my left leg is dominant. right when I learned table tennis, I saw that for those who were right-handed like me, the transfer of body weight in the forehand stroke starts on the left side and goes to the right side, that is, I can easily transfer all the weight of the my left leg and hips to the right. on large side jumps this also helps. but would that be an advantage, disadvantage or does it simply make no difference?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Well. Maybe you shouldn’t care. I’m heavily left-handed but I play right hand, which is probably much bigger a problem. And it’s been fine.

Admittedly if I let natural reactions go, I tend to lean left a little too much even on my forehand but focus on leg practises is driving it away.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't know about you, but I have crossed laterality. my right hand is dominant, but my left leg is dominant. right when I learned table tennis, I saw that for those who were right-handed like me, the transfer of body weight in the forehand stroke starts on the left side and goes to the right side, that is, I can easily transfer all the weight of the my left leg and hips to the right. on large side jumps this also helps. but would that be an advantage, disadvantage or does it simply make no difference?

I have to be honest, I have no idea what you mean. Is there a way you can show a video of it?

I am going to throw some ideas out there that may be relevant.

Most people who are right handed, if you rolled a ball towards them, they would kick the ball with their right foot. In this action the right foot is doing the skill/coordination movement and the left foot would be the plant foot which means you are balancing on it and it is doing the work to hold you up. So it is common for right-handers to have left legs that are slightly stronger. And for them to be able to balance a little better on the left leg than the right. That is totally normal. It develops a cross-pattern from upper to lower body or from lower to upper body that counterbalances the action.

So, if you watched most people's arms when they walk, if they were not thinking about it, when the left leg steps forward, the right arm will swing forward in counterbalance to the movement of the legs.

Now, if you are talking about weight transfer, in TT, usually what that term refers to is when you load weight on one leg and transfer the weight to the other leg during the stroke to add power to the stroke. For a right-hander, on a FH stroke the weight would be loaded onto the right leg on the backswing and as you stroke the weight would be transferred from right leg to left leg giving momentum to the stroke.

It is easy to see in a baseball swing because the weight transfer is much larger with the bigger swing and no need for recovery time:

In any of the side views of the swing in this video, you can see how the back leg (for a righty, the right leg) gets loaded and then the weight is transferred to the left leg as the hips move forward towards the pitcher's mound.

In TT the motion is much smaller, much quicker, and you sort of have to have better timing to pop the weight transfer and the hip rotation so that it is well timed with the contact of the ball. But the principle is the same. And that is what the term "weight-transfer" refers to.

But I am not really sure what you are talking about when you refer to weight transfer. Is it possible for you to use some form of video to demonstrate what you actually mean. And, like Tango-K alluded to, you can teach your legs to weight transfer in either direction. It is a skill that can be trained.

Well in lateral movements your opposite leg is the one you are using to go to the opposite side i. e. , left leg kicks if going laterally to the right vice versa. I do not think it is a problem. If you have problems with side dominance, it can always be overcome by training.