Advice against a chopper/blocker

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
How do you play against an opponent who blocks/chops every shot you do, sometimes i get so frustrated I overplay the ball and goes out or I get into chopping/underspin battles

drives me crazy [emoji12]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
is he a chopper or do you mean that he pushes a lot and then block?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
is he a chopper or do you mean that he pushes a lot and then block?
all of that, a defensive player, no topspin, all blocks, chops, underspin, slices

just thinking about the matches earlier makes me sad [emoji26] lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Learn to loop better and start at late contact when the ball is going down after the bounce.
good idea, I guess it exposed my poor techniques because before that, all the players I've played were mostly attackers too so I didn't have to do much to return the ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
I guess that is a good idea, first time I've played against someone like that, I keep on attacking the ball until I make a mistake [emoji26] thanks , I'll check this out

what drives me crazy are the short underspin balls , I get confused whether to flick them or just push lols

Outlasting the opponent till they make a mistake is basically what any defender's game plan is about. That's why patience and avoidance of unnecessary risk (like trying to flick short underspin balls) is key. Another point is to attack the chopper's middle and try to bring them in and out, not side to side. Good luck. Post a video of you vs your opponent - you might get some valuable insights from forum members.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Vary placement and tempo. This Will make it harder for him to block or and defend well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Outlasting the opponent till they make a mistake is basically what any defender's game plan is about. That's why patience and avoidance of unnecessary risk (like trying to flick short underspin balls) is key. Another point is to attack the chopper's middle and try to bring them in and out, not side to side. Good luck. Post a video of you vs your opponent - you might get some valuable insights from forum members.
yeah, been trying to flick short underspin balls, not good lol
Vary placement and tempo. This Will make it harder for him to block or and defend well.
I should remember this, I got so frustrated and was trying to overpower him lol
If those chopers do not use pips, consider using heavy topspin +/- sidespin serves or fast empty/topspin serves. Those are hard to push. If your opponent either gives you an empty ball back or attacks the ball. Both outcomes should be handleable.
yup no pips

actually I'm glad I lost majority of the sets to the defensive player, just shows which area I should work on, especially my looping, previously was just counter hitting other players lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
How much variance are you in terms of speed and speed are you giving this player? Are you doing only full power smash/drive?
that was the problem, was trying to hulk smash everything earlier lol

next session is on Friday lol [emoji38] lots of table tennis videos watching to do

thanks for the advice guys, lots of mistakes on my part

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Remember, don't beat yourself. You don't need to play likhe Ma Long just yet. Pick your shots to attack, try to set it up by making your opponent move. Don't always attack to the same place. Don't forget to attack at his body.

Most of all, don't beat yourself. The problem with watching lots of videos is if you aren't good enough to execute what you see. And pros easily do things amateurs have problems executing consistently.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
You could always play very fast top or no spin serves. Is he able to push ("skära") those serves? At least you would be in control during the points when you serve.

If he's a true long distance chopper then move him in and out from the table. Loop. Push. Loop. Push until infinity and beyond.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
that was the problem, was trying to hulk smash everything earlier lol

next session is on Friday lol [emoji38] lots of table tennis videos watching to do

thanks for the advice guys, lots of mistakes on my part

Give him spinny boy and follow it up with fast kill or vice versa. Repeat. If he doesn't have pips and is blocking with inverted. He will have to adjust constantly. The spin variation will help you. You can do everything in between to throw him off his game. Just don't do the same thing a few times in a row. In my case usually crosscourt loop, followed by down the line loop drive finished by cross court smash solved that problem (or variation of those). Usually if someone was playing that kind of game, didn't get up to 3rd attack (7th ball?).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Remember, don't beat yourself. You don't need to play likhe Ma Long just yet. Pick your shots to attack, try to set it up by making your opponent move. Don't always attack to the same place. Don't forget to attack at his body.

Most of all, don't beat yourself. The problem with watching lots of videos is if you aren't good enough to execute what you see. And pros easily do things amateurs have problems executing consistently.
yes, I had some success attacking to his body, and yup I will keep it simple, stick to one video first lol
Bait them to make a weak attack and then counter lull
yeah I was trying to attack everything lol
You could always play very fast top or no spin serves. Is he able to push ("skära") those serves? At least you would be in control during the points when you serve.

If he's a true long distance chopper then move him in and out from the table. Loop. Push. Loop. Push until infinity and beyond.
I will try a fast top spin serve
Give him spinny boy and follow it up with fast kill or vice versa. Repeat. If he doesn't have pips and is blocking with inverted. He will have to adjust constantly. The spin variation will help you. You can do everything in between to throw him off his game. Just don't do the same thing a few times in a row. In my case usually crosscourt loop, followed by down the line loop drive finished by cross court smash solved that problem (or variation of those). Usually if someone was playing that kind of game, didn't get up to 3rd attack (7th ball?).
I guess I didn't do much variation and just kept on trying to overpower the backspin with topspin lol