Hi I am a new forum member! Actually a born again forum member!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I only EJ with blades but now that is all behind me!!

artic wood.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
People keep talking about EJ'ing Virus, but I'm not sure if I qualify.
Yes, I played with countless different rubbers over the last few years.

But I always keep playing them till they are worn down and then I replace them with something different.
I usually buy something in the same range so it's never a big deal to adjust.
And yes, I'm kind of searching for that elusive holy grail that fit's my play style 100% ,which I know may not exist. But I'm not buying extra Rubbers for it, it always play them till the end.
I play TT 4 to 5 days a week so I just burn through rubbers fast.

I mean Dynaryz,R47,R48,Gewo Nexus 48 don't play THAT much different.
Tbh every rubber in the ESN 46 to 48 hardness range kind of plays the same with small differences for me.
Nothing I can't overcome.

So does this fit the EJ virus?I mean, if I would commit to 1 Rubber like T05 I would still buy it every 2 to 3 months because I don't like playing with worn down rubbers.

Sometimes, people talking about the EJ virus are just joking around.

There is nothing wrong with trying to get a setup that is in the range of being okay for you. And, often where people go wrong in testing lots and lots of equipment is that they end up with setups that are too fast for them.

To me, even people with serious EJ Virus, if it is fun, it is fine.

These are photos from RokPhishTT on Instagram. He is a great photographer and completely unrepentant EJ Maniac, in the best way possible.

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.13.41 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.10.56 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.04.09 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.08.42 AM.jpg

He has photos of literally hundreds more blades on his instagram. Now, he does this because he enjoys it. That is totally fine.

But someone who is changing blades every week hoping to find the holy grail, and for 3 weeks they think they found it, and then, once they get used to the blade, they are no longer focused on what it helps them do better, but, instead, what they can't do as well with the new piece of equipment, and then they start their search again, and the thought is that they will find something that helps them do everything better instead of working on the skills they need to improve, and that is making the person less happy, well, that is really the only time EJing is actually problematic. And it is not problematic for anyone except the person who is making their life more stressful thinking they can solve an issue that is about training and developing skills with a new piece of equipment.

TT is about learning a skill and having fun while you learn the skill. The rest, if it is fun is totally fine, and if it causes you to be stressed or unhappy, it is beside the point so, not necessary.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I've got a couple if friends that are proper EJs to the point where it is the only thing they actively focus on in their games and it actually gets boring to practise with them because all they say is 'I'm no used to this bat yet' followed by (after they take a set off you) 'Now I can play with this bat' followed by 'I need more control/ power/ spin/ mana'.

Gets boring after a while.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Well, for me I played with Tenergy 05 and 05fx for almost 10 Years I think.
But when they were harder and harder to get from retailers because they started to work with exclusive dealers etc. I started switching to different brands because they were cheaper and easier to get.

The irony is they have improved their webshop so it's easy to get now and the other brands here in Belgium are now almost as expensive as Tenergy anyway.

Most new rubbers like R48 ,Dynaryz are 60 Euro also and they are way worse in durability.
For example I use R48 and V11 Extra on my blade since August 2 and it's almost time again because they are getting worn down. The R48 in particular lost a lot of speed a grip at the moment.

So I might switch to Tenergy again and be done with these other ESN brands.
In the end Tenergy would be cheaper because they are so durable.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. And trying new rubbers when you are done with the ones you are using is not the same as someone who is really EJing, like the scenario SofaChamp is alluding to. That distinction between trying new stuff when it is time to get something, or adjusting your equipment because you realize something about it is not working for you, is different than someone who, over and over, is getting something new thinking it will fix their footwork. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Yeah. And trying new rubbers when you are done with the ones you are using is not the same as someone who is really EJing, like the scenario SofaChamp is alluding to. That distinction between trying new stuff when it is time to get something, or adjusting your equipment because you realize something about it is not working for you, is different than someone who, over and over, is getting something new thinking it will fix their footwork. :)
Some things can fix your footwork. Not necessarily the way someone might think, but if your setup spanks your butt for standing in place it might point you in the right direction.

Reactions: SofaChamp
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Some things can fix your footwork. Not necessarily the way someone might think, but if your setup spanks your butt for standing in place it might point you in the right direction.

It is true. Something that makes you have to be in the right position to get an effective shot will make you need to move.

But I have a feeling you know what I was referring to. :)

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
That distinction between trying new stuff when it is time to get something, or adjusting your equipment because you realize something about it is not working for you, is different than someone who, over and over, is getting something new thinking it will fix their footwork. :)

Yes but Carl, if you're footwork is weak, would it not be logical to try a slower set up so when opponent blocks you have time to move them?
But no maybe with a faster set up one could just hit freaky one shot winners, then no need to move feet.

What if an Ej had found a good set up, but then started practising with plastic balls, and realised he played crap with them with his happy set up.

Lots of good players on here have said they need a quicker blade now to get ABS shite moving and spinning!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes but Carl, if you're footwork is weak, would it not be logical to try a slower set up so when opponent blocks you have time to move them?
But no maybe with a faster set up one could just hit freaky one shot winners, then no need to move feet.

What if an Ej had found a good set up, but then started practising with plastic balls, and realised he played crap with them with his happy set up.

Lots of good players on here have said they need a quicker blade now to get ABS shite moving and spinning!!

Equipment is a small issue. Adjusting to a slightly faster setup is one thing. But the equipment does not fix the underlying issues. And the real question is, if the ABS balls have been the standard for as long as they have, why are you only now realizing you have to get used to playing with them?

A little adjustment to equipment is totally fine. But it won't fix the underlying issues. And training will, even if you used the same setup you were using. Although, I still do think you would be better off with smooth rubber on the BH based on how you use your BH. :)

In the end, that is your choice. And if you are having fun trying new stuff, it is totally good. But it won't fix the underlying issues and any equipment change requires tradeoffs. Faster setup, more speed, less control, less spin.

Reactions: MOG
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lots of people say my bh looks more like reversed, but I reckon 90% of people I play find me easier to play with reversed rubbers!!
In the last 18 months my results have significantly improved even with all the blade EJing!!

Just think how much more effective you would be if you were using the pips the way they were designed to be used. :)

But, in the end, how you play and what equipment you use is your choice.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
TBF I have no comeback for that!!

Imagine!!

In the end, I do think, it might be worth thinking about the information that a high level player and coach like Lula, who uses SP has presented. You can still use them how you do and learn to do a certain amount of what Lula is talking about and the outcome may surprise you.

And the thing is, when you step up to levels where the guys you are playing against are skilled at handling all kinds of Pips, if you are using those MPs how you are, you may get different results.

Last edited:
Reactions: mart1nandersson
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
RULE 27. While it is allowed and perhaps even mandated to own an insane number of blades (see rule 20), it is not allowed to believe that the next one you buy will appreciably improve your level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
And the thing is, when you step up to levels where the guys you are playing against are skilled at handling all kinds of Pips, if you are using those MPs how you are, you may get different results.

+1 on this one. At a certain point pips/anti becomes a handicap unless you don't maximise the usage of what they were designed for. Playing a bit oddly and/or smart will only work up to a certain level.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl