Advice on BH technique?

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi MOG,

looks like you’re getting on well and enjoying your TT.

i bought a sheet of Nittaku Pimplemini, 1.5 mm sponge. Just to stick it on a blade to see what it played like (against robot). Blade is a Tibhar Balsa Def 25.
Sure felt different !!! Very slow, force had to be applied more than usual, could this be down to the blade rather than the rubber??

didn't use it for too long, maybe 45 mins, split 25 mins FH and BH Topspin type stroke against topspin and backspin from the robot, with about 20 mins serving to see what spin could be imparted.

Of course, because this was the 1st time I’ve tried using any sort of pips, my technique was likely poor especially for a mid pip rubber. But I actually played some really good backhand and forehand shots, especially against backspin which was nice!!! But very inconsistent.
don’t know how much spin was on the balls I returned, if any ???

Serving was a big surprise, took a while to adjust, still inconsistent, but I found that I could actually make the ball return towards the net, when doing a ‘ghost’ serve, this I was not expecting!!!! Of course the amount of spin was less than an inverted rubber, but the serves were low and had enough spin to do the job.
Other serves were achievable but I suppose with far less spin.
very interesting afternoon!! :)

Reactions: MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
if your using pips see if this help if u ever decide to go back
this video help me alot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgH05Ku5S0

This is a fantastic short pimples video, but it got me thinking, they emphasise hitting with short pimple with the top of the blade, not with the centre of the blade.
Now as we all know Carbon blades generally have a bigger sweet spot, so logic would suggest if you want to be positive and hit a lot with your pimple backhand, to use the technique they advice, a carbon blade would be a good choice!

It may indeed enhance confidence and consistency!