Advice on BH technique?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I've used Spectol Red and now use Spectol Blue in 1.8mm.

I mostly play a fairly conventional SP hitting/inverted FH looping close to the table game, but what I like about Spectol is it is very easy to achieve a lot of spin variation with, which is something I can fall back on to try and set up more opportunities to attack if I am out of position or I start to get dragged in to a pushing rally for example.

Going back to the original topic, I do think your backhand is good, and perhaps 'using it sparingly' was overstating it - maybe working on a more conventional SP stroke to use in addition might have been a better way of putting it.

Out of interest, and I don't want to encourage you to try more equipment, have you ever tried a more spinny type of pips? Just wondering how they might work for you with your backhand.

I used Spectol Red for 12 months plus, but it is a bit wild and bouncy at times.
I have tried briefly Victas 102 and SP AX, which I think are both spinnier, but they never seemes to work for me as well as Spectol.

However Keiler seem to suit me. I played with them well immediately and seem to get good variation with them.

I do agree that I really need to add the proper 'pip hit' to my arsenal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think more serves that you get topspin against you would suit your game better. Especially long fast serves where you can Borrow their tempo/power. Block well with pimples then kill easy ball with forehand.

What nobody wants to tell me I don't move and I should be using reversed on backhand!!

To be fair, that genuinely does actually look like a fantastic backhand stroke.... for a non-pimpled rubber lol. Without actually reading what rubbers you were using, I was just impressed with the fluidness of that backhand stroke.

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Something which might also help with your SP/MP game is trying not to take a step back from the table as often. You are doing this quite a lot, even when it is you that is putting your opponent under pressure.

I think this is because I was trying to use a faster bat with lower arc and did not trust myself closer in. I don't normally do this, it was strange.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
I think this is because I was trying to use a faster bat with lower arc and did not trust myself closer in. I don't normally do this, it was strange.

Here's a theory: as you say, you do this when you are not comfortable, in this case because of the faster bat.

In the video on post #63 on a couple of occasions you are moving backwards as you hit the ball into the net, at 0:10 for example. This counteracts the forward motion of the bat.
Could this also be contributing to your issues with ABS balls?
e.g. You are less comfortable when using them, end up further away from the table, which then exaggerates the issues caused by slightly less grip than you are used to with the pips.
Since you are good away from the table with your forehand, it doesn't cause you the same issues on that side.

Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I don’t play with pips but I think I should know enough about table tennis to give you some general advice. Regarding my level I would be around 2250 US when in good form, on a bad day or when out of practice, who knows. Anyways, I am not sure about whether I am better than you on the table so please disregard the following if not.

As others have mentioned you play the shots as if it is inverted. You don’t hit through the ball you just loop. I posted a Yangyang video on one of your earlier threads but it doesn’t appear you do any of the things mentioned in that video. I don’t know enough about pips stroke mechanics so I won’t comment on that but I do see your form is rigid and pre-set. I don’t see your arm or body moving to incoming balls and you essentially are making the same shot every time - this works in a drill like this when you know where the ball is coming but I am wondering how this would look in open play. You need to go “find” the ball not just let it come to you and then tear away - this doesn’t work in open play. I am guessing you are late to a lot of balls and have a lot of total mishits because you do not adjust and set up appropriately in time.

I am still wondering about what I suspected in the second half of this post. You posted a highlight video so it is hard to tell where the problems lie - we need to see the points you lost in order to find that out. But you are basically stepping off the table and looping the ball as if you play with inverted. So again I am really confused as to why the pips.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Here's a theory: as you say, you do this when you are not comfortable, in this case because of the faster bat.

In the video on post #63 on a couple of occasions you are moving backwards as you hit the ball into the net, at 0:10 for example. This counteracts the forward motion of the bat.
Could this also be contributing to your issues with ABS balls?
e.g. You are less comfortable when using them, end up further away from the table, which then exaggerates the issues caused by slightly less grip than you are used to with the pips.
Since you are good away from the table with your forehand, it doesn't cause you the same issues on that side.

Looking at some of my older videos, this stepping back thing is quite a recent thing, I am quite sure it is a reaction to trying to control a more repulsive blade. I am going to remedy this by going back to the Xiom Solo initially, and if this does not remedy the issue I will go back to the tibhar force pro.

However I may see if I can source a heavier force pro, I think mine is about 89g, I will try and see if I can get one 95g plus.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I am still wondering about what I suspected in the second half of this post. You posted a highlight video so it is hard to tell where the problems lie - we need to see the points you lost in order to find that out. But you are basically stepping off the table and looping the ball as if you play with inverted. So again I am really confused as to why the pips.

The only points I lost with my bh that are not in this clip are bh pushes to serves which got whacked past me with third ball winners. And the only other points I lost did not involve my bh.

But Zyu if I use an inverted and play a good bh loop, topspin drive I am then the same player as everyone else. Because my footwork is weak and my reading of spin is sometimes suspect I then become an easy and predictable player to play. No with either rubber on bh I can and will improve these things, but I like the ability to play differently. I like having variation from fh to bh in my shots. And without being bigheaded how many players have you seen that hit this well with mid pips (considering my average level), I don't know anyone in England that use mid pips the way I do.

Surely the way forward for me would be to add twiddling so I sometimes hit a more conventional bh with reversed at times, if I could master this, I would truly become a badass!!

My pip hitting is a work in progress, I will improve on the more traditional flatter shots with them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
The only points I lost with my bh that are not in this clip are bh pushes to serves which got whacked past me with third ball winners. And the only other points I lost did not involve my bh.

But Zyu if I use an inverted and play a good bh loop, topspin drive I am then the same player as everyone else. Because my footwork is weak and my reading of spin is sometimes suspect I then become an easy and predictable player to play. No with either rubber on bh I can and will improve these things, but I like the ability to play differently. I like having variation from fh to bh in my shots. And without being bigheaded how many players have you seen that hit this well with mid pips (considering my average level), I don't know anyone in England that use mid pips the way I do.

Surely the way forward for me would be to add twiddling so I sometimes hit a more conventional bh with reversed at times, if I could master this, I would truly become a badass!!

My pip hitting is a work in progress, I will improve on the more traditional flatter shots with them.

I just watched the videos a little more in depth and I am not really seeing what you are doing with MP that you wouldn't also be doing with inverted. Are you not sacrificing shot quality and the ability to rally on the backhand with the way you are currently playing with MP? Does that outweigh the gains you might get on serve return?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I just watched the videos a little more in depth and I am not really seeing what you are doing with MP that you wouldn't also be doing with inverted. Are you not sacrificing shot quality and the ability to rally on the backhand with the way you are currently playing with MP? Does that outweigh the gains you might get on serve return?

It is not just serve return! If I play those shots with inverted they all come back, every one is used to that. The shots I play with MP are harder for me to play but they are more rewarding when I play them well. I know it does not look that way, but in last 18 months since my switch to pimples I beat so many players that beat me every time for twenty years. I have only really used MP for two months, surely in 12 months of using them when I build in the shorter stroke pimple hits and add some subtler blocks v spin I will be more dangerous, especially if I add the twiddling shots.
And I do not want to go on about it but since switching to pimples I do not worry as much about illegal serves, I just bash them back.
These videos in some ways are bad examples, the blade is too fast (sanwei fextra) for my play. But you think I am playing a normal inverted shot but I am not, when I switch to inverted on bh all my shots go long as I am playing a different shot, you only see me going upwards with the stroke you dont see me going forward or flipping over ball as I do in some shots.
Maybe you would have to watch me up close and train with me to see the gains I get from the pimples, but they are there.

Even if it is just that I believe in myself more with pimples?!?
;););)

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If I am not the one to pop the MOG bubble, then some other fool would be.

MOG, in your level of play and those who are competing with you in league or whatever you post on your vids, players make a lot of errors. Players at that level who face the same opponent who they beat for years who now make different shots with a different surface are gunna have some losses until they get better vs that kind of play.

Still, you are on to something. TT must be enjoyable and fun enough keep playing continually... so a player must like TT to keep playing. Competitors want to see results... and you are seeing some results at your level. Just understand why this is what you have to do for your goals, whether it is a higher division or being a top player in your division.

Reactions: NextLevel and MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Maybe if I gain confidence from using pips, and improve on some of the many things I need too. Maybe some day I will use inverted again on backhand, but even then I would go for Chinese rubber or defensive rubber probably for the control it gives a player.