Advice on BH technique?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
wow...you do that with medium pips...congrats on developing a way to use medium pips almost like inverted...it makes sense why you lift the elbow and also break integrity sideways sometimes through the strokes to create the lift on the ball...i can't help you with the technique while using medium pips...if you don't mind me asking how long did it take you to develop these shots?

I been using mid pips since Feb 2020 with a break from lockdown.
I think I always had a strong bh, and I used SP for 13 months previous to switching to mid pips.
The pips are 1.8mm Keiler and this is a fast carbon blade!!

I still think the commentators are correct though in saying it could be better if I shorten and flatten the stroke. Punch more!

Lula and Der_Echte are much better players than me and I respect their advice. Lula is an experienced pip player too!!

Carl does give some good advice too but I do not know if he is better than me at table? ;););)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think I always had a strong bh,

If you combine that statement with the fact that you use the MP like they are smooth, anyone thinking about it would likely scratch their head and think "that makes no sense". Also, that comment combined with, "my BH return of serve sucks", makes no sense. If you had a strong BH, would you think you needed pips to return serve?

I also think, the fact that you could not tell how much more spin Brs gets than you calls into question your own opinion of your level. :) You said you saw he moved his feet more than you. hahahahah. No mention of ball quality: his ball is faster with 5x more spin. :) And his use of the BH pips made total sense.

However, I don't care about my level. I have no idea what my level is. The last time I played a US tournament and got a rating, I think the rating was 1678 or something. That was about 10 years ago. I just don't care about that stuff. I have had other people tell me what they think my rating is and that just isn't valid. You earn your rating at tournaments. Since my wife died, I have mostly played with my sister.

But, I can still see and show the mechanics that are flawed in your FH loop with a detail most TT players may not be able to explain. So, you could think about that. :) At least now you know why your FH is so slow and has so little spin. :) But I am glad Lula explained stuff to you about your BH. Because he said what I said months ago. And he posted a video I posted quite a while ago of Shao Yu as well.

Der, Shao is the guy who owns that club we went to with the soccer field: 42&BP's club.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
If you combine this with the fact that you use the MP like they are smooth, anyone thinking about it would likely scratch their head and think "that makes no sense". Also, that comment combined with, "my BH return of serve sucks", makes no sense. If you had a strong BH, would your return of serve with BH suck?

I also think, the fact that you could not tell how much more spin Brs gets than you calls into question your own opinion of your level. :) You said you saw he moved his feet more than you. hahahahah. No mention of ball quality: his ball is faster with 5x more spin. :)

However, I don't care about my level. I have no idea what my level is. The last time I played a US tournament and got a rating, I think the rating was 1678 or something. That was about 10 years ago. I just don't care about that stuff. I have had other people tell me what my rating is and that just isn't valid. You earn your rating at tournaments. Since my wife died, I have mostly played with my sister.

But, I can still see and show the mechanics that are flawed in your FH loop with a detail most TT players may not be able to explain. So, you could think about that. :) Now you know why your FH is so slow and has so little spin. :)

A good advice is a good advice.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lula and Der_Echte are much better players than me and I respect their advice. Lula is an experienced pip player too!!

Carl does give some good advice too but I do not know if he is better than me at table? ;););)

A good advice is a good advice.

It makes no difference whether if it comes from a better player or not.

If I go by your example, all coaches or those in the coaching profession needs to be a better player than the person they are coaching or advising, before they can provide any constructive feedback.

I think you may have missed that MOG was messing with me. So I am messing with him. :) And I am not the one talking about level even if I am responding to it. But I have said the same things to him for months that Lula just said. But when Lula said them, he listened because Lula is quite a high level player and he plays with pips. So someone is at least presenting that advice has to be from a higher level player. But, I honestly think MOG just likes messing around. So why not give it back if he wants to barb people in the first place.

And because it is through video, I really have no idea what MOG's level is in comparison to mine. We would have to play to find out. But there are things that drive MP players crazy that I would have fun trying on him. :)

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Looked at your video again. It feels you do some very good strokes but sometimes you want to brush to much. If you look at the video you can proably see that the strokes do not look the same all the time.

The ones where you hit the net is proably you close to much and brush but the ball grips to little and moves on the rubber so it goes down in the net. Other strokes you have move open and try to hit it more. That is better.

Maybe you feel you need to brush because the ball goes down in the net? try to focus at taking it at the highest point instead.

Do not think Lula was saying my bh was all bad!!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Today played a mini fun local tournament group of 6 all play all.

I was ranked 5 out of 6 in group.
I won the group beating the 4 players above me and losing once to the one below me.

The pips were probably the deciding factor in me winning!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do not think Lula was saying my bh was all bad!!

Nobody said your BH is all bad. You use your BH like you are using smooth rubber.

I think I always had a strong bh,

But if your BH was as good as you are saying in the quote above, you would not be using pips to cover for your weakness in returning serve with your BH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
These are not SP strokes and you are not getting SP results. Thw bat is too closed and you are swinging from below table height up to your chest. Your partner even blocked a few off the end. With SP hits you would expect him to play in the net.

You are basically using your pips like a bad inverted by trying to topspin with them. That is what everyone does who tries to switch from inverted to pips without completely changing their stroke and timing. You can do it. It just doesn't allow your pips to do their job.

BTW: Brs plays with SP. Based on video footage he is several levels higher than you. Much more spin. More pace on all shots. Serves with real spin; varied serves. Powerful forehand. Nasty rips with BH that are just what you would use the pips for. Why didn't you include him and his advice in your above statement?

His comment is pretty solid.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
goes to the nose and just to the nose, strikes that schnouzer crsuhing it into his grill with your glove on the end of the knuckles or even the top part of the glove to sting 'em like a bee...

Love the idea of thinking about the ball as a guy’s nose =))))))

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I was not being rude to Carl or BRS, I have chatted to BRS before.

You do not need to be a better play than the person you coach or advice Carl, you are right about that. Just need to know what you are talking about it. And I think you give some good advice on here lots.

But I am not that interested in any advice about pimple play from someone that has not played with them, it is OK to say this or that about my bh with pips, but the fact is (no offence) I only want to here from people that have played me or use them and no what they are talking about it. No to be fair I would listen to those people more, I will listen to anyone that has an opinion on table tennis because it is all part of the fum, all the nerdiness around the game.

I can assure you that my bh was a weapon today and caused my opponents problems and probably some of the time I did an inverted type shot with it, but it was still causing problems.

So I can work on the flatter and shorter shot and that will be good, but good pip players loop backspin and turn it into topspin so my bh is good at this!! So I am not ditching it completely!!

Everyone does not have to have textbook shots to be decent, but we do need consistency and good movement.

:)

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Like other people have already stated: your shots are actually quite good when the hit is compact and you don't try to top spin. You get a nice sink effect and your son nets his blocks a few times. As soon as you top spin you put them in the net or overshoot or they're quite weak. Why not just look at your own video and take note of the good shots and try to practice to repeat those?

Reactions: MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
That was the idea of me videoing Martin!!

I know a top 50 vet pimple player in England and he said a good pip player loops and hits with pips and the variation is the danger!! It is like you all keep saying never loop with pips but I think this is wrong!! You gotta loop backspin with pips if you want to be positive, this is a strength of short pips!! Well all pips actually. Even your Dtecs are awesome for looping hitting backspin as you know!!

I could do that loop on my bh with dtecs and get great shots v backspin!!

:):):)

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hitting through backspin is a staple - agree. Hitting - not looping.

Countering/looping topspin will only give you the odd cheap point against players who don't know your "material". Won't do you any good against someone who knows what you're doing.

Not sure I agree with you on this Martin, agree to differ I think!!

;););)

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I been using mid pips since Feb 2020 with a break from lockdown.
I think I always had a strong bh, and I used SP for 13 months previous to switching to mid pips.
The pips are 1.8mm Keiler and this is a fast carbon blade!!

I still think the commentators are correct though in saying it could be better if I shorten and flatten the stroke. Punch more!

I don’t play with pips but I think I should know enough about table tennis to give you some general advice. Regarding my level I would be around 2250 US when in good form, on a bad day or when out of practice, who knows. Anyways, I am not sure about whether I am better than you on the table so please disregard the following if not.

As others have mentioned you play the shots as if it is inverted. You don’t hit through the ball you just loop. I posted a Yangyang video on one of your earlier threads but it doesn’t appear you do any of the things mentioned in that video. I don’t know enough about pips stroke mechanics so I won’t comment on that but I do see your form is rigid and pre-set. I don’t see your arm or body moving to incoming balls and you essentially are making the same shot every time - this works in a drill like this when you know where the ball is coming but I am wondering how this would look in open play. You need to go “find” the ball not just let it come to you and then tear away - this doesn’t work in open play. I am guessing you are late to a lot of balls and have a lot of total mishits because you do not adjust and set up appropriately in time.

Last edited: