Advice on BH technique?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Yes my footwork is bad, terrible in fact. But I am working on it!!

You are all seeing my bh going from down to up, but I still go forward on it even in this vid, it would look better from side, still needs work but it ain't as bad as some of you say.

in this video i was using a carbon bat too trying it out and it aint the right bat for my pips.

Much better with Fextra today at fun tournament ill post some clips later in week.

But it needs work I agree. But that gives me some fun and a project with tt, going back to reversed and all the same predictable results would be boring.

And I could still add twiddling, keep saying I will but I need to.

I was not being rude, well did not mean to be.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Which one was YANGYANG? I watched so many of them?

Here is a YangYang video:

I think YangYang might have a good channel for people who use SP.

But, if you use the SP the way you do, sometimes, that is fine. I also think it is fine for you to take advice from people who play SP that you trust. I just do think having an understanding of how to use the material you have chosen so you can choose how you use them rather than just doing what you used to with smooth, that would cause you to go up a few levels.

But in the end, if you are having fun playing, that is fine. And if you are having fun ribbing people on the forum, I am fine with that as well. As long as you are good with getting ribbed back which you seem to be. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Here is a YangYang video:

I think YangYang might have a good channel for people who use SP.

But, if you use the SP the way you do, sometimes, that is fine. I also think it is fine for you to take advice from people who play SP that you trust. I just do think having an understanding of how to use the material you have chosen so you can choose how you use them rather than just doing what you used to with smooth, that would cause you to go up a few levels.

But in the end, if you are having fun playing, that is fine. And if you are fun ribbing people on the forum, I am fine with that as well. As long as you are good with getting ribbed back which you seem to be. :)

This is the one I was talking about. Added it to my earlier post, thanks.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Cool, yes i will watch the videos again!!

But you know if i play the bh 'loop' you all say I play with inverted the ball goes about 3 miles off the end.
What I actually do is some Frankenstein shot that is a hybrid of a reversed type loop and a pip shot.

But I go forward more than you guys think.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But I go forward more than you guys think.

I think what Lula said was:

Try to have open racket angle and hit it flat almost under/on the bottom of the ball.

The reason why you want to hit a bit under the ball, start under the ball and hit more up is because with short pimples and even more with middle is that grip is not as good as with inverted. Less grip make it less sensitive for spin, bad at creating own spin and therefore hard to get an arc. And also because you want to flat hit it is a stroke with little arc.

By hitting more under and up you still get a little arc and more margin for error. Also important because the little grip always makes the ball sink a little on the rubber.

The ball probably sinks more on the middle pimple rubber because of less grip so probably much harder to play safe with than with medium pips.

Looping with short pimple is useless so if you want to use them I recommend trying to flat hit more.

If you hit the net it can be the above mention, come to high and hit down or take the ball lower than the highest point.

If you want to flat hit, that is a stroke with less arc it is only possible at the highest point. Smash under and you hit the net. So can only smash at the highest point.

Here is a close up video that i found. Looks pretty good! He comes a bit under the ball, have open racket angle so flat hit the ball and tries to have short contact with the ball and tried to take the ball st the highest point. You can Also hear on the sound when the hit is good. Want that popping sound.

https://youtu.be/zKVxFbGLzdo

Looked at your video again. It feels you do some very good strokes but sometimes you want to brush to much. If you look at the video you can proably see that the strokes do not look the same all the time.

The ones where you hit the net is proably you close to much and brush but the ball grips to little and moves on the rubber so it goes down in the net. Other strokes you have move open and try to hit it more. That is better.

Maybe you feel you need to brush because the ball goes down in the net? try to focus at taking it at the highest point instead.

If you pay attention to Lula, the rest is not as important. The information he gives will help you.

Reactions: MOG
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We can definitely agree on that!! ;););)

Der gave nice conceptual info and there was a feel good aspect to it that seems to sit well for you. That is fine.

But Lula gave the technical details of what you need to change and how.

Most of the rest of the comments fall into the category of: "Your are not using pips the way they are designed to be used." There is an importance to you hearing that. The person who explained it best was Brs. But you have seemed to be incredibly resistant to hearing that info for some time now. Which also makes it interesting that you would open a thread asking for help and reject 98% of the actual helpful commentary.

But, if you just listen to the info Lula gave on racket angle and where to contact the ball, the rest is inconsequential.

My comments were just messing with you because someone who says "help me with my BH technique," and then says, "my BH has always been strong," and has been historically consistent in saying, "I can't return serve with my BH with smooth rubber,".....well somehow that looks to me like fertile ground for entertainment and giving someone a hard time. :)

And I would consider this post from a different thread and its meaning:

MOG, you think you know what is happening. Possibly, but maybe a little video analysis will help you correct your problem. Or you could continue to come to a forum to note a problem and then reject all suggestions from very experienced players on how to deal with it. Question is, do you actually want to improve?

Last edited:
Reactions: tt_kidz

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Der_echte wrote an excellent post, I thought I had already thank him for this.

But anyway Carl looks we agree on that too!

Can't believe how much we are in agreement on stuff these days.

It almost feels like we have developed a spiritual connection!!

:)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Der_echte wrote an excellent post, I thought I had already thank him for this.

I was pointing out that you liked his post. And why. Not that you needed to thank anyone.

But I was also pointing out how, despite you resonating with certain info, it seems you are resistant to change. :)

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There is a syndrome where despite a better way created to greatly improve some process, employees are seriously resistant to doing what they have done for years in order to do it better, even if the changes are not terribly major.

I call it the RTC factor.

Resistance

To

Change

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
There is a syndrome where despite a better way created to greatly improve some process, employees are seriously resistant to doing what they have done for years in order to do it better, even if the changes are not terribly major.

I call it the RTC factor.

Resistance

To

Change

I am a bit like this in life, I am settled in my ways. I do not like change!!

But I want to win more at TT, so I will change and improve my bh.
In several years I will post a video of my awesome bh shots and we will all laugh about my stubbornness!!

Or maybe no one will give a shit!

I am easy either way.

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Feels like it works well? If it is middle pips I think maybe you can use it to vary the tempo a bit more. Just block softer and shorter sometime.

If you can relax your hand and forearm and start to swing with the forearm instead of pushing with it your forehand game will become better.

Keep up the good work!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Feels like it works well? If it is middle pips I think maybe you can use it to vary the tempo a bit more. Just block softer and shorter sometime.

If you can relax your hand and forearm and start to swing with the forearm instead of pushing with it your forehand game will become better.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers Lula, think your right about the soft blocking and variation, a player I know said this try and get some easy balls with soft blocks and chop blocks etc, side swipes a bit like lp shots for variation and easy pop ups!!

Yes.

To MOG: Long time ago I discussed your grip.
You'll not do the upper advise with that deep and firm grip.