Return of International TT Matches

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
ML screamed like Harimoto at 4:5 FZD serving in G5. Same thing after 8:6. Also his not-so-silent/authoritative celebration at the end of the match. Is ML's screams disrespectful to the opponent?

LGL: "...if you're strong, then you should be even more inspired by such an opponent"

x6VDw9y.jpg

UFHUGJS.jpg

Mcl0XNT.jpg

QsX3OD3.jpg

bqMSNuV.jpg

eyhxfax.jpg

Cd8yvoH.jpg

yCm3JK1.jpg

dhlmJW8.jpg

XDQ29cT.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
CM: Stop calling me "Queen of Opens", call me "Queen of WTGF"! I'm the reigning National Champion, World Cup holder, and 4-time-back-to-back WTGF Champion!
cache.php

ML: Move aside, I'm 6x.

Still a little perplexed by why the ITTF officials still insist on stacking the wins this year with previous wins when this is clearly not the same WTGF. Wells, I guess they wanna restart the events on a 'high' note by churning out all these new 'records'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Lineup-wise I don't think there would be many differences had the season played out normally. All the strongest players were here, minus Timo and injured players from CNT.

Possibly true for the men, but capping each association to four players has surely prevented many Chinese women from playing. Then of course going by WR instead of WT standings affects match technicalities like seeding and draws etc. but that's unimportant for now (or ever).

The last updated WT standings suggest that some of the 'lesser' known players (e.g. Uda Yukiya, Cho Seungmin) have achieved decent results at the start of the year, but are unable to build on that. Pity. Nonetheless, being able to watch TT again at this point in time is most fortunate. Cheers.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.18.14 pm.jpg Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.19.12 pm.jpg

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
CM on Kato:
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-20/doc-iiznctke2338903.shtml
  “能赢下比赛还是给自己肯定,但在比赛中,对手其实给我制造了很多困难,感觉打得不是很流畅。”陈梦说。
"Winning the match is a self-recognition, but during the match, Kato actually created a lot of difficulties for me, I feel that my play was not that smooth," said Chen Meng.

CM on Solja:
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-20/doc-iiznezxs2906970.shtml
  “今天打得比较惊险,前两局都是在关键分上输了,对手发挥得非常好。第二局10:8领先时候,自己接发球打得过于小心。10平后自己想换一个发球,但效果不好。”陈梦说。
"It was rather close today. The first 2 games were lost on crucial points, and Solja played very well. In the second game, when I was 10:8 ahead, I played too safe when receiving. After 10-all, I wanted to change the serve, but the effect was not good," said Chen Meng.

Harimoto on JWJ and JWJ on Harimoto:
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-19/doc-iiznezxs2721224.shtml
  “刚跟张禹珍打过比赛,对他进行了研究,所以本场比赛前几局打得挺好的,但第五局拿到赛点之后有点虚了,落点有些单调,被他拼到了。今天现场听到有人为我加油我挺高兴的,但没赢下比赛挺难受的。”张本智和赛后说。
"I'd just played JWJ and studied him, so the first few games were very good, but after getting matchpoint in the 5th game, I was a little bit blank. The placement was a bit monotonous and he got it. I am very happy to hear someone cheering for me today, but it is very uncomfortable to not win the match," said Harimoto.
  张禹珍在赛后表示,刚开始比分落后时以为自己要输了,但后面可能运气好点,再加上对方有一些犹豫,才能反败为胜。
JWJ: I thought I was going to lose when behind in score at first, but perhaps my fortune was a bit better later on, coupled with some hesitation in Harimoto, that I could turn the tables.

Last edited:
Possibly true for the men, but capping each association to four players has surely prevented many Chinese women from playing. Then of course going by WR instead of WT standings affects match technicalities like seeding and draws etc. but that's unimportant for now (or ever).

The last updated WT standings suggest that some of the 'lesser' known players (e.g. Uda Yukiya, Cho Seungmin) have achieved decent results at the start of the year, but are unable to build on that. Pity. Nonetheless, being able to watch TT again at this point in time is most fortunate. Cheers.

View attachment 22516 View attachment 22517

Does anyone know how they chose who gets to participate in the current tournaments? (ITTF Finals, World Cups, Macao, etc). This creates a scenario where it'll start to become impossible for high-potential players who are not yet ranked in the top 20 or 25 to rise in the world rankings, and in turn, lose their chances to play at big tournaments in the future. That's a problem.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
CM on Kato:
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-20/doc-iiznctke2338903.shtml

"Winning the match is a self-recognition, but during the match, Kato actually created a lot of difficulties for me, I feel that my play was not that smooth," said Chen Meng.

CM on Solja:
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-20/doc-iiznezxs2906970.shtml

"It was rather close today. The first 2 games were lost on crucial points, and Solja played very well. In the second game, when I was 10:8 ahead, I played too safe when receiving. After 10-all, I wanted to change the serve, but the effect was not good," said Chen Meng.

Oh, that explains why ZYL is not getting any chances. Her role has been overtaken by CM. Poor thing XD Seems like a new gen of LXX/LSW/DN trio is in the making.

Markings of a Confucian society – seniority = business class.

0e4a20a4462309f79d9e4050650e0cf3d6cad6fb.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
@driversbeat LSW is not playing. She said on her weibo that she is only joining the team to train with them. Oops. The dangling continues...

OTOH, unverified sources say that FZD and LJK are denied entry to Macau (??) because of their military men identities (But Jeoung is there!).

Last edited:
Jan 2018
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-22/doc-iiznctke2713980.shtml
  马龙赛后说:“虽然比分是4比1,但是每一局都非常累,我能感觉对方也非常累,有些比分可能没有很精彩,但相互限制比较多,比赛非常费脑子。今天赢在比赛关键球自己处理好一些。”

对于樊振东的表现,马龙说:“今天小胖也打得非常好,只是关键球自己把握住了比分,也有一些幸运球。最近两次比赛的决赛都打到最后输给樊振东,这一年我都没有拿到冠军,非常渴望获得冠军。我觉得这个冠军对我来说,即来之不易,也非常可贵。”

六冠王马龙说,“我很喜欢向世界第一发起挑战,很幸运能拿到这个荣耀,很幸运这个人是我。
"Although the score was 4-1, every game was very tiring, I could feel Fan Zhendong was also very tired, that some points might not have been very exciting, but there were more counterbalancing between us. The match was very mind-exhausting. I handled the key balls a bit better today and that tipped the balance today," said Ma Long after the match.

“Little Chubby also played very well today. It’s just that I got the points on the key balls, and then some lucky ones. I lost to Fan Zhendong after going the distance in the last two encounters. I hadn't won a title this year and I was very eager to take it. I think this title did not come easy for me, but also very valuable," said Ma Long regarding Fan Zhendong’s performance.

Six-time winner Ma Long said, "I like to challenge the World No. 1 very much. I am very lucky to have earned this honor. I am very lucky that that person is me.

https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-23/doc-iiznezxs3249074.shtml
“纪录就是要被打破的,很幸运也很荣幸,打破纪录的那个人是我。”马龙激动地说。

“现在和很多外国选手打,还有最近和许昕、樊振东打,整体上感觉自己没有上一个周期那么有优势,我要面对这样的现实,也确实要向他们挑战。”

“今天我们两个人都发挥出了非常高的水平,可能场面上没有像世界杯那样打到7局,但是每一个球的处理上我们都发挥得非常好,想赢每一分都非常难,打得非常累。”

“现在的樊振东无论是整体技战术能力还是心理抗压能力,都具备了世界第一的水平。之前全锦赛和世界杯,我在场上也比较投入,但很遗憾没有赢得最后的胜利,这次我把握住了机会。今天在关键分上比前两次处理得要好一些,也可能是运气好,包括能够大比分3比0领先为我带来了很多信心。世界杯打完没两天又继续比赛,消耗还是非常大,整体感觉上打得并不像上一站那么流畅,特别是半决赛、决赛和两个队友打,可能更多的是意志力上的较量。”

“最近一两年无论面对许昕还是樊振东都输得多。这次比赛能够赢下他们,在提升信心方面的收获大于获得冠军。竞技体育对对手最大的尊重就是全力以赴,再次感谢樊振东,我们都做到了。也感谢自己依然不问终点,全力以赴,继续加油!”
"The record is meant to be broken. I am very lucky and honored the person who broke the record is me," said Ma Long excitingly.

"Now when playing against many foreign players, and against Xu Xin and Fan Zhendong recently, I feel on the whole my edge is not as obvious as it was in the previous cycle. I have to face the reality and I really have to take them on."

"Today, both of us played at a very high level. While we didn’t play 7 games as in the World Cup, we played very well in the handling of every ball. Every point was very difficult to win. It was very tiring."

"The current Fan Zhendong has the World No 1 level in terms of overall technical and tactical ability and psychological resistance. I was more immersed at the National Championships and the World Cup prior to this, but unfortunately I did not come out victorious. I seized the opportunity this time. Today, I handled the key points better than I did in the previous two. It might also be luck, including being able to lead by 3-0 in games, which gave me a boost of confidence. Having to play again two days after the World Cup, the energy drain was still very large. Overall, my play was not as smooth as it was at the last stop, especially in the semi-final and final against my two teammates. Perhaps, it was more of a contest of willpower."

"In the past year or two, I have lost a lot whether it be Xu Xin or Fan Zhendong. Defeating them in this competition, the gain in confidence is greater than winning the title. The greatest respect for competitive sport is to go all out. Thank you again, Fan Zhendong. We have achieved it. I thank myself for not questioning the end still, going all out, and keep on keeping on!"

Last edited:
Jan 2018
CM on equaling ZYN's record of 4-time WTGF title:

https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-11-22/doc-iiznctke2720528.shtml
  “全锦赛和世界杯对我来说是两次突破,之前都没拿过。总决赛冠军之前拿过,这次也算是一个突破,状态能够延续下来,对我来说是以往没有的。”陈梦称,这段时间不管是备战还是比赛都值得肯定,不断拿冠军也会极大提升自信心。

陈梦赛后透露,总决赛前两场并不在最佳状态,但半决赛和决赛无论是对阵孙颖莎还是王曼昱,都不能再犹豫了,“稍有一点侥幸和犹豫,比赛就会很困难了。”

连拿世界杯和总决赛冠军后,陈梦直言目前最大的对手就是自己,“有时候在场上也会有人球合一的感觉,这是一种巅峰状态吧,但在一些球的处理上还能做得更好。
"The National Championships and the World Cup are the two breakthroughs for me. I had never won either before. I have won the WTGF before. This time is also a breakthrough. The form can continue, which is unprecedented for me." Chen Meng said that both the preparations and competitions during this period are worthy of recognition, and winning the title will greatly enhance self-confidence.

Chen Meng revealed after the match that the first two rounds were not in her best condition, but whether it was against Sun Yingsha or Wang Manyu in the semi-final and final, she could no longer hesitate. "The match would've become very difficult at the slightest thought of fluke and hesitation."

After winning the World Cup and the ITTF Finals, Chen Meng said bluntly she herself was her biggest opponent, "Sometimes I get the feeling I've become one with the ball on the court. This is a peak state, I guess, but I could do better handling some balls.

Jan 2018
So nice to hear Cantonese in addition to Mandarin and English.

Reactions: Janard
Jan 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
According to official ITTFWorld on Weibo, FZD has pulled out for personal reasons. LSW also won't play after consultations with the team doctor, but will tag along with the team for training.

https://weibo.com/3515112791/JvmXLCRDP?from=page_1006063515112791_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime

An unverified source says that it is due to the disbandment of the PLA/Bayi competitive sports faction. But since it has yet to be fully effected, FZD and LJK are not allowed to participate in commercial events. National Champs, MWC and ITTF Finals do not fall under such a category.

"因为军改问题,原属于八一队的球员暂时不便参加商业活动。世界杯,总决赛,全锦赛属于官方比赛"

An unverified source says that it is due to the disbandment of the PLA/Bayi competitive sports faction. But since it has yet to be fully effected, FZD and LJK are not allowed to participate in commercial events. National Champs, MWC and ITTF Finals do not fall under such a category.

"因为军改问题,原属于八一队的球员暂时不便参加商业活动。世界杯,总决赛,全锦赛属于官方比赛"

I read somewhere that FZD and LJK don't get their visa approved because they're related to military.
As we know their team is a military team :D