Weight After Setup Has Been Assembled

mat

This user has no status.

mat

This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Hi, when blade is glued with 2 rubbers, does weight after asemlence stay the same for all the time or does it go lower/higher? Blade is yasaka sweden extra, fh andro hexer sfx anf bh andro powergrip sfx. Glue is normal donic vario clean...

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Hi, when blade is glued with 2 rubbers, does weight after asemlence stay the same for all the time or does it go lower/higher? Blade is yasaka sweden extra, fh andro hexer sfx anf bh andro powergrip sfx. Glue is normal donic vario clean...

I live in a very humid area, so my blades tend to gain 1.5g after I receive them and weight them right away. Sweat can also add some weight to the handle.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
From my experience blades become a bit heavier with time, but not so much. the rubber/glue weight won't change.
But if you buy the same rubbers again, those might be heavier or lighter, the weight of the sponges has some variance.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
16 fluid ounces of water weighs 1 lbs.

16 fluid ounces of water = 0.473176 liters

0.473176 liters = 0.453592 kilograms = 453.592 grams

So if a pint of water weighs over 453 grams a normal amount of sweat for Der_Echte easily weighs 453 grams. :)

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
This is why you lacquer the blade and saturate the handle with Danish oil. Adds about a gram to the handle but keeps the sweat out.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
16 fluid ounces of water weighs 1 lbs.

16 fluid ounces of water = 0.473176 liters

0.473176 liters = 0.453592 kilograms = 453.592 grams

So if a pint of water weighs over 453 grams a normal amount of sweat for Der_Echte easily weighs 453 grams. :)

... per drop, yes.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Actually, lacquering the blade not only does not change it's characteristics if you are putting on thin layers of lacquer but keeps it's characteristics more stable over time as it helps keeps the water from water based glues from soaking into the wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Aya. I tried lacquering one of my blades’ handle. Then cannot ever use it anymore. The handle becomes weirdly sticky, not very comfortable. Be sure you know that it will change before you try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
@Tango K, which is why I mentioned using Danish Oil on the handle and not lacquer. Polyurethane based lacquers can make handles feel plasticky when it is cured. Watco's Danish Oil on the other hand keeps the natural wood feel when it is applied according to the instructions and has been wiped and dried. Except for the fish oil smell for a couple of days, you probably won't notice it is treated with Danish Oil by feel. It may darken the wood slighty however.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Aya. I tried lacquering one of my blades’ handle. Then cannot ever use it anymore. The handle becomes weirdly sticky, not very comfortable. Be sure you know that it will change before you try.

That was the case for me with a blade I bought used from someone who had lacquered the handle, so sticky it was terrible to hold. I removed it with fine sandpaper and it's now back to normal.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am fine with different people doing different things, liking different things. Many blades don't "need" or should I say benefit from sealing. I tend to like the kind of blades that benefit from sealing. I have a way I like to seal the blade face that works for me. Very thin layer to simply protect the top ply a little.

Most blades from Butterfly don't need this. But I would likely do it to any of the ones with a Limba top ply anyway even though Butterfly often uses thicker top plies when they use Limba. And Butterfly blades usually do not self destruct when changing rubbers. :)

If anyone wants to see how I seal, I did make a thread on the subject with Der-Echte filming and providing comedy relief commentary to support my comedy relief presentation.

And as far as the handle is concerned, I know some people who like to seal it. I see some hand crafted blade makers seal their handles so that they stay looking pretty. Someone like Der often puts wads of tape on the handle to hide the fact that he has ripped the handle open and added Iron bolts to the hollow space inside the handle and that, when he glued the handle back on, it somehow did not fit right anymore. :)

But for me personally, I don't want anything but the naked, natural wood on my handle so:

1) I can feel the wood grain with nothing else.
2) My sweat can sink into the wood and mark the blade as MINE. :)
3) And lastly, so that as the blade ages and gets dinged and banged, IT GETS DIRTY TOO, so people know that my blade has been through the wars with me.

Other people can do what they want with the handles of their blades as far as I'm concerned. But the handle of my blade is not going to have anything but my sweat, earned dirt, and battle scars on it. :) hahahahaha.

Anything else and the goon squad will be chasing someone down. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
To Nate's credit, I did not have to do any surgery to the blade handles, he made them decent size.

Yes IGOR, it works !! Now hide those extra bolts inside the next shipping container of 62 New York Sewer Rats to London departing from the Krooklyn Navy Yard Container Port, since the Covid sewer runoff has mutated them into something NYC doesn't want anymoar...