Violin Alternatives?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Having just managed to fatally bash my second Violin of the year against the side of the table whilst disguising a particularly cunning heavy float serve I was wondering which 5ply blade by the main companies comes closest? I'm tempted to switch to an Alround Classic or an Allplay but is there anything that is even closer to a Violin? Any suggestions appreciated!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Hmm I don't think there would be anything like it. Seems quite unique. But if you where considering Allplay and Allround Classic, then I would suggest a bt555 instead. Has vibrations, but Stiga has slightly or a bit more. I have a heavy Allround Evolution, that is about as fast as my light bt555. Maybe last mentioned has 1-2 more gears due to a bit more spring effect when looping harder.
Is it because you want something cheaper?

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Reactions: SofaChamp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Yes, I'm thinking if I keep on breaking them then I need to find a cheaper blade. My feeling is that the Violin has less of a catapult/ bouncy/ springy effect than blades which have two layers of limba outside of the core and that is what gives it better control in the short game as well as making everything else more linear (effort put in directly correlates to shot quality).

But then I'm no expert on blades so not sure if my thoughts on control and catapult effect actually correspond with what the wider TT community agrees on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Perhaps the Stiga Arctic Wood is worth trying. Just guessing.

Funny you say that because a friend has a spare one that I did think about maybe buying off him. However, having just looked it up on TT11 it says that it's OFF+ which would definitely rule it out for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Yes, I'm thinking if I keep on breaking them then I need to find a cheaper blade. My feeling is that the Violin has less of a catapult/ bouncy/ springy effect than blades which have two layers of limba outside of the core and that is what gives it better control in the short game as well as making everything else more linear (effort put in directly correlates to shot quality).

But then I'm no expert on blades so not sure if my thoughts on control and catapult effect actually correspond with what the wider TT community agrees on.
Well, personally I don't find the bt555 bouncy for the shortgame at all. But depends what you're used to I guess. It's definetly not linear.
Persson Powerplay is like a hybrid between 5 and 7 ply caracteristic wise. It has the flex of a 5, but the directness of a 7. It's better for placements, but I find the throw a bit too low and that it lacks a bit of dwell for my taste.

Or maybe one of those baked/burned blades could be a choice?

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

I think this is actually on point regarding the Violin.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Reactions: SofaChamp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Ask one of forum builders to make you one. Ash is very easily obtainable and kiri is easy enough. There should be no problems in making a violin clone that suits your needs.

Yes, I've thought about this as well and it is tempting but chances are a custom blade would not be that much cheaper (and if there's any truth to Nittaku's claim of a unique gluing method this might make it harder to accurately reproduce the playing characteristics of the Violin).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Yes, I've thought about this as well and it is tempting but chances are a custom blade would not be that much cheaper (and if there's any truth to Nittaku's claim of a unique gluing method this might make it harder to accurately reproduce the playing characteristics of the Violin).

I think you should be able to get it for 60-80€. Whereas Violin would set you back 120€.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I don't like promoting my work on another threads but this just spreads a message that custom blades are luxurious products only affordable to big wallets, which is not true. I could, or any other blade maker for that matter, build a blade with the same composition for about a third of the price of the real thing (~170€ on TT11). Is it Aliexpress cheap? Of course not. But it's a quality product on par with, or even better than those put out by the big brands, and which people don't seem to mind paying big bucks. And using hide glue wouldn't be a problem for any of us by the way...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk