Inner Carbon Blades

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I have read on several different threads that inner carbon blades can be a bit unpredictable, maybe even a bit bouncy?

People like them for the woody feel but sweet spot of carbon.

Is this true or a myth?

I have played with a couple of inner carbon blades but never with an outer carbon blade.

It looks to me like all the good attacking BH short pimple players use outer carbon blades, if they dont use 7 ply wood!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I have read on several different threads that inner carbon blades can be a bit unpredictable, maybe even a bit bouncy?

Is this true or a myth?

I have played with a couple of inner carbon blades but never with an outer carbon blade.

It looks to me like all the good attacking BH short pimple players use outer carbon blades, if they dont use 7 ply wood!

Just buy V14 Pro from Yinhe (cheapest/best quality per dollar) blade and find out for yourself if you really want to know it. There is more to how blade feels than where the carbon is placed. There is also carbon quality, type, thickness, density (how much g/m^2) weave, placement, and probably many more.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Just buy V14 Pro from Yinhe (cheapest/best quality per dollar) blade and find out for yourself if you really want to know it. There is more to how blade feels than where the carbon is placed. There is also carbon quality, type, thickness, density (how much g/m^2) weave, placement, and probably many more.

Yep , agreed, nice one . XVT ARCHER B Professional Carbon Fiber Table Tennis paddle
Or just buy this one and have a nice meal out on the money you save

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Something like Avx Ma Wenge Carbon that has outer carbon is still considered having a great wood feel compared to most other outer carbon blades. So I guess it doesn't have to sit in the inner layers. Haven't tried one though, so can't tell.

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Yep , agreed, nice one . XVT ARCHER B Professional Carbon Fiber Table Tennis paddle
Or just buy this one and have a nice meal out on the money you save
I haven't used any XVT gear, but knowing how much materials cost I would be wary of quality. BTW OP was curious about inner carbon blades, but had played with inner fiber blades (I remember him talking about Ma Lin Soft Carbon). He hadn't played with the outer blade though. That's why I suggested known reliable Viscaria clone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews

Is this true or a myth?

If you have played with them, what are your thoughts of them. Why ask for opinion if you already tested them <insert thinking emote here>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Because it is interesting to hear what other people think too sometimes. To see if it reflects ones own thoughts and feelings.

Fair enough. Table tennis gear is about personal feelings, and not really absolute properties. It's easy to nerd out about gear, but its more about what you feel when you play.

I have two blades in a very similar weight, both almost exact the same composition, the only variable being where the carbon is placed.
One has limba koto zlc Kiri, the other one is limba zlc koto Kiri. Both have very good quality porous Kiri core and very dense limba top ply (a lot of dots). About qualities of different appearance limba top plies I can't speak about, but I do know that more porous cores usually feel better.

Both blades feel similar, the outer one being a little bit more challenging to control. With the outer one, it's easier to overcook topspin and balls shoots off too quickly, but both are manageable. Both are great for looping, the outer one being more sensitive to errors. Both are great for blocks, punches, smashes. The inner one has an easier touch, but the outer one doesn't fall that much behind.

Having said that, I am pretty sure someone will very quickly call this BS, because he feels otherwise, and that is totally fine, because everyone processes signals differently. Generating power with both is a bit more challenging than with 7ply but there is more of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bilge Dogan
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I haven't used any XVT gear, but knowing how much materials cost I would be wary of quality. BTW OP was curious about inner carbon blades, but had played with inner fiber blades (I remember him talking about Ma Lin Soft Carbon). He hadn't played with the outer blade though. That's why I suggested known reliable Viscaria clone.

As a guy who used to buy carbon-fiber by the 50m roll i can tell you that the amount of material that goes into a TT-paddle is , well....not very much.

but moving on, I had a couple of blades from XVT, the above mentioned and a Balsa-carbon one and looking at the quality I often wondered how they can make it so cheap.

Now something completely different: I find the expressions "inner" and "outer" confusing.

I have only ever seen 1 "inner" blade and it had 3 layers of carbon , one in the very center of the blade. Now that would be a "true inner", right ??? .......and of course absurd because that inner layer would do sweet bugger-all .

Also . I have only ever seen 1 "true outer" that looked like it actually had layers of carbon on the outside .
Now that seems to me even more absurd.

All other inners and outers really only take their names from how far away from the outside the layer of carbon or hybrid material has been placed.

I am coming down very much on the side of :
Der_Echte

says Grand Consultant to the Office
of the Goon Squad

"It is all a myth"":D

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
As a guy who used to buy carbon-fiber by the 50m roll i can tell you that the amount of material that goes into a TT-paddle is , well....not very much.

That's true, I build tt blades in my free time. Keep in mind that hybrid composite materials are more expensive. Where I buy them, almost twice the price. By hybrid I mean weave of two materials. I didn't notice the balsa part. Playing with balsa is a different story. I hadn't either made or played with a balsa blade that excels in looping though. Not by the lack of trying in both departments. I may also be biased because I buy them by 2m pieces for my toy projects, and buying 50m roll is more cost effective I guess.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I've had: inner ZLC (donic waldner champ), Outer ALC (V14pro, TBS), Inner alc (FB2, Innerforce Layer ALC).
Inner carbon is great, the ZLC with spruce was a bit much but i think thats spruce and ZLC for you!
The feel is different, ALC vibrations feel soft, outer Vs inner its like the volume but the texture is the same. Wood feels like a snappy crisp vibration.

Really they're not too different for looping but if I was a punch blocker or flatter hitting type player i would take the outer ALC as it feels a bit more direct on punches, the ball doesnt feel to sit as long, but take this from a very very very bad flat hit/blocker

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I think, what is needed is for OP to get a JM SZLC and pair it with Dignics 09c and an Apolonia ZLC and pair that with Dignics 05 and 64. There is no hope in fighting the EJ Virus.

I think I will just get my butt over to the UK, take my blade collection, and invite the guy for a pint (an alcohol-free for me lolz), and let the guy have a go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I think I will just get my butt over to the UK, take my blade collection, and invite the guy for a pint (an alcohol-free for me lolz), and let the guy have a go.

Trust me it won’t work. He’s gonna say “but maybe your ZLC blade is a bit old so the ZL has decayed a little bit” :p:p:p