Review: Butterfly Revoldia CNF

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Hello Guys,

Below is the initial review of Butterfly Revoldia CNF blade. You can find the same in the Equipment Reviews Section.

Initial Impressions:
As soon as I received the package, I noticed a beautiful box with a white/greyish color and is a pleasure to watch. As I slide the inner compartment, I noticed that the blade is more beautiful than the box. The wings are polished and doesn't require sanding. My blade weighs 91g as I like it heavy.

I couldn't wait to try it out, slapped Dignics 05 on both sides.

During the weekend, I eagerly ran to the club and started to test the blade.

Practice Drills:
Kicked-off the test with slow forehand drives and the first thing that I noticed is, this feels like a wooden blade that is fast like a composite one. As I was playing after a long time (because of lockdown situation), most of my drives went long and I had less consistency. The blade felt head heavy rated at 2 on a scale of 5.

Once I got used to this feeling (approx. 15 minutes) of FH drives, I took a step back from the table and went for a big swing top-spin. It went long and I missed. The feeling I had during the topspin, was similar to acoustic carbon inner. I was not at all happy that I missed and I tried a big swing again with a minor angle adjustment; also went long and missed. I realized that this blade is not meant for big swings and I need a higher skillset to tackle this blade to make a big swing.

I decided to do a compact stroke (same step back from table) and Voila!, it landed on the table with a quality spin almost similar to a big swing, with less speed than I am used to. All compact strokes were of good quality spin and I had a satisfactory practice drill. I had a similar experience with Hinoki blades Darker Speed 90 and 7p2a.7t. Big swings did not work on those as well.

The sweet spot on this blade is huge and I did not have any bad experience when the ball hit on the ends.

The blade has a medium-low throw and I am sure that this blade will not work well with harder sponges without boosters. (p.s. I consider Garaydia T5000 as low throw). I feel that I made a mistake by slapping Dignics05 and should've gone for Tenergy 05 or Tenergy 80. This doesn't mean that Dignics05 is not compatible with this blade, just a personal preference. The blade feels soft on finger as well as palms.

Next thing I wanted to see is how it performs on touch and serves; hence, I started off with a slow backspin serve and it didn't go long (as I had expected). The ball stayed on the table with a quality spin. My practice partner was surprised and mentioned that this blade is unique. Touch shots were nice, short and close to the net. I spent a good time on touch shots on the table and did some flicks.

I spent almost 2 hours practicing with the blade and decided to go for a match and see how it performs.

Match Play
As my opponent saw the performance of the blade during serves, I decided not to spin for the first game and will unlock that during the next game. I decided to go with all no spin/less spin serves within the table and focus on the rally, ball placements get points in a technical way; this worked beautifully and won the first match.
Second match, I decided to go aggressive top-spin and counter top-spin game, with no spin-serves; I lost 2 points as I forgot the key "no big-swings". I managed to continue rallies; ultimately lost the game as most of my top-spins went long despite of short-compact strokes.

Third match, I decided to go with "spin everything" strategy. My opponent was surprised with the spin potential; he couldn't receive my serves as he usually does and was disturbed throughout the game. Heavy spin loops were efficient and he couldn't block it. During this game, I had a beautiful moment I'd like to share. Game score was 7-1 up, it was my serve, I had planned to do a side-top spin serve to get a high ball to attack it and win.
I served and got a high ball on extreme FH side, I attacked it with a high speed, less spin drive and he managed to block it to my BH side. I was out of position to attack it with BH top-spin and decided to chop the ball; the ball landed on the table with great spin near the net and my opponent couldn't return and drops it on the net. I was surprised what wonders this blade could do.

Conclusion

This blade is not meant for beginners, and requires a high skill/technical knowledge to fully utilize its potential. It is a flexible blade with lot of gears. It has a slight vibration to it and I fear that low weight blade (below 85g) may have a hollow feeling. Mine did not have. Passive blocks wont work on this blade, you have to be active all the time to utilize its potential. Hard rubbers are a big big no, if you do not boost it.

This blade is unique and has a similar performance like hinoki all wood blades. Spinners and Loopers, this is one of the holy grail blades for you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One question. When you are saying big swings don't work well for Hinoki, do you mean for you? Or are you saying that as a general thing that may be the case for others as well?

The biggest forehand I have ever seen is from Ryu Seung Min and he was using a Hinoki One Ply.

Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
One question. When you are saying big swings don't work well for Hinoki, do you mean for you? Or are you saying that as a general thing that may be the case for others as well?

The biggest forehand I have ever seen is from Ryu Seung Min and he was using a Hinoki One Ply.

Here is where I mention that I need a higher skill set to do big swings with this blade:

I was not at all happy that I missed and I tried a big swing again with a minor angle adjustment; also went long and missed. I realized that this blade is not meant for big swings and I need a higher skillset to tackle this blade to make a big swing.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

I believe it is a fake blade

i disagree. We might be talking semantics here but in order to be a fake it would have to pretend to be a Butterfly product.................which it is not.
I would be happy with the words like : "Rip-off", or maybe "cheap copy". 😁

Having said that, when absolutely NOT comparing the lemuria with the butterfly, the Chinese product might well be a great blade, well made and
able to perform to many "non-professional players " satisfaction

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 1 reviews

i disagree. We might be talking semantics here but in order to be a fake it would have to pretend to be a Butterfly product.................which it is not.
I would be happy with the words like : "Rip-off", or maybe "cheap copy". 😁

Having said that, when absolutely NOT comparing the lemuria with the butterfly, the Chinese product might well be a great blade, well made and
able to perform to many "non-professional players " satisfaction

Hi Lodro, here in Europe this is counterfeiting, selling a blade like this is punishable as a crime. Having the same design on the wrist and being clear that it doesn't have the original Butterfly materials and being an imitation, we here undoubtedly call it a fake product.
best regrds

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 1 reviews
No, we dont. It may be copyright infringement when the design is similar enough, but thats always super hard to force legally. If it has a visible different branding, its not a fake because you are not trying to deceive anyone that its a real deal butterfly product.
For God's sake, let's not misrepresent one reality by calling another name. These blades are an aesthetic imitation of Butterfly blades with the name or without the name. This imitation they so sympathetically call a clone has a name that is Fake. I have nothing to do with whether someone buys or not, I even prefer that they buy a lot so that I have an advantage playing with those who have them. They certainly don't think that Butterfly takes 6 years of research to build a blade and then they come along and think they're good just because they throw the ball to the other side. I believe more in a Petr Korbel blade made in Europe that costs about the same and has better results and is much more faithful. Saving some money and it can take more time you can buy a Viscara 😉