Alternative for a 1 ply hinoki?

says Aging is a killer
Basically all blades with Hinoki outer plies have broadly similar feel/effects. So a Hinoki user like me can pick up a Primorac Carbon or Joola Emotion etc and not be lost.
As to weight, you can get 1-ply blades come in a wide range of weights. Eg, I have several Hinoki1-ply blades with weights from 85g to 97g. Just ask the seller if you are serious about buying.

Basically all blades with Hinoki outer plies have broadly similar feel/effects. So a Hinoki user like me can pick up a Primorac Carbon or Joola Emotion etc and not be lost.
As to weight, you can get 1-ply blades come in a wide range of weights. Eg, I have several Hinoki1-ply blades with weights from 85g to 97g. Just ask the seller if you are serious about buying.

Well, I'm a Hinoki outer user too, but the Hinoki "film-thin" outer of the Rossi Emotion has nothing to do with the Hinoki feeling.

Reactions: amekun and lasta
This user has no status.
Reactions: thomas.pong
Yes, I am playing with a 1-ply genuine Japanese kiso hinoki blade bought from this store. My club mates have altogether bought 10 blades from this store in the last year. If you search for my posts on this forum you can see that I am a big fan of this brand, sold by its owner through his own website.

The quality is really good, being a former OEM for BTY black tag blades until BTY moved their manufacturing to China perhaps 25 years ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Reactions: amekun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
The 1 ply is great i played also before, the problem is it is too thick, i prefer 7ply pure hinoki same feeling but stiffer, depends.on the quality of the hinoki wood, xiom hinoki s7 is a 7 ply hinoki so far the best 7 ply hinoki i have used its just a little.bit fast for my level.

Sent from my Redmi 6A using Tapatalk

Have you tried that.blade? is it stiff enough short pips? i have been looking that.blade.before, it might not stiff for my sp

I haven't played with Moby-7 blade. I'd suspect it is not as stiff as the single-ply kiso hinoki (Moby) blade. According to the manufacturer's website, the 7-ply is slower but spinnier than the 1-ply, implying it is not as stiff.

I don't play with sp, so don't know whether this blade is any good for sp.

This user has no status.
Yes, I am playing with a 1-ply genuine Japanese kiso hinoki blade bought from this store. My club mates have altogether bought 10 blades from this store in the last year. If you search for my posts on this forum you can see that I am a big fan of this brand, sold by its owner through his own website.

The quality is really good, being a former OEM for BTY black tag blades until BTY moved their manufacturing to China perhaps 25 years ago.

Im a Shakehand player and the American Hinoki 1 ply version is very appealing to me

This user has no status.
The 1 ply is great i played also before, the problem is it is too thick, i prefer 7ply pure hinoki same feeling but stiffer, depends.on the quality of the hinoki wood, xiom hinoki s7 is a 7 ply hinoki so far the best 7 ply hinoki i have used its just a little.bit fast for my level.

Kamusta ka kabayan, Im glad to see a fellow one ply fan as well. Im currently using BBC Single Cypress at 10mm. I do agree with you that it is too thick. Well as for me, its hard to hold and twiddle with.(IMO) but other than that its great. I just ordered BBC Single cypress at 9mm. hope it caters well. Try talking to charlie about customizing. For example: 1mm Hinoki - 0.5mm Carbon - 5mm Hinoki - 0.5mm Carbon - 1mm Hinoki. Carbon next to the outer layer tends to make them stiffer. Imo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Kamusta ka kabayan, Im glad to see a fellow one ply fan as well. Im currently using BBC Single Cypress at 10mm. I do agree with you that it is too thick. Well as for me, its hard to hold and twiddle with.(IMO) but other than that its great. I just ordered BBC Single cypress at 9mm. hope it caters well. Try talking to charlie about customizing. For example: 1mm Hinoki - 0.5mm Carbon - 5mm Hinoki - 0.5mm Carbon - 1mm Hinoki. Carbon next to the outer layer tends to make them stiffer. Imo

ayos lang kabayan hehe, im a penholder i think 1ply hinoki limits the wrist movement in penhold because of the thickness of 1 ply, thats why prefer multiply blades which are thinner, i can move my wrist freely though hinoki has a wonderful feel in every shots.

This user has no status.
If you are just looking for a lighter version, you might want to try a custom blade maker. I have had 2 blades made by Kevin at American Hinoki. They are great blades, and compare very favorably with my Darker Speed 90 and Imperial 2020 blades for a fraction of the cost.

A custom blade maker can get it to the weight you need or want. Just a thought...

Okay , forgive me for hijacking this thread with a little off-topic, but I need an answer to this question:

So I've been reading about hinoki blades, even found this one thread here about saving the hinoki forests on a nexy post, 1 ply, 3+2,5,7, w/e. And on all of them I see a consistent theme of "Hinoki blade is soft", "the blade is stiff/not-flexible". And I am just sitting here and I cant wrap my idea about something being soft but not flexible. I mean technically if you have a piece of very thin piece of metal, it is flexible but not soft. But I just cant imagine something that is soft but not flexible? Is it soft because you can easily chip it with a nail? And yes I have not tried a hinoki blade of any kind.
I will give this question my best guess, but no proven science behind my answer. The wood itself is softer compared to lots of other types of wood used in table tennis blades, in the direction perpendicular to the surface of the blade, which gives it the famed "soft feeling" of a hinoki blade. However, the blade is relatively stiff compared to lots of other blades, by virtue of its thickness. That is why you find most single-ply hinoki (cypress) blades in the 9 to 10 mm thickness range. My suspicion is a "normal" 6 mm single-ply hinoki blade would easily break near the neck of the handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
Maybe Darkers Sakura Alba & Sakura Serio could be interesting for you? Darker claims that they have succeeded in reproducing 1-ply hinoki characteristics in these 7-ply blades with their gluing techniques. I haven't tried out these blades myself, so can't tell if Darker is right. Interesting nevertheless, I would say.

https://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=page&id=40

Last edited: