Actual spin and speed values of common shots?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Hi, I just got a programmable robot and trying to setup some drills. Do you guys have an estimate of the speed and spin of an intermediary player? For example a topspin with 3000 rpms and speed of 30 km/h - is that close to an actual shot? A long push would be slower, I guess... but how much slower and what rpms? And what are the rpms and speed of a good long backspin serve? Any ideas?
33494b665bae311fede81b2b6885e674.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Some of the ittf pro tour have those live measurements but i bet that may be a little too much ;)

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I'm also a bit suspicious of the number given during the match. It's like 9000 round per minute for a forehand topspin, it seems a lot but maybe

I think 9000rpm was recorded in a spin contest with the old ball by Mazunov , New ball is around 8000rpm.
Don't know what shot they were playing etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think 9000rpm was recorded in a spin contest with the old ball by Mazunov , New ball is around 8000rpm.
Don't know what shot they were playing etc.
I agree that your values seem to be correct.
What I think is awful is the robot interface that has spin is RPM instead of RPS and speed in KPH instead of meters/second.

In the TT world we deal in seconds for fractions of seconds, not minutes and not hours.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Also if you do basic drills (2 points, 3 points, opening continuous etc.), what you want is the speed/spin of the block, not the loop itself. The loop is yours. Lots of people get confused by this in my club. If you want to practise precision and power specifically, set it to be fast pace but weak power so you have to power the ball yourself.

Reactions: doppelganger_LT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Thank you! I'm mostly working on footwork (2 and 3 spot drill) and lifting backspin. I'm not able to lift more than 3200 rpms with my BH anyways :)

Also if you do basic drills (2 points, 3 points, opening continuous etc.), what you want is the speed/spin of the block, not the loop itself. The loop is yours. Lots of people get confused by this in my club. If you want to practise precision and power specifically, set it to be fast pace but weak power so you have to power the ball yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Thank you! I'm mostly working on footwork (2 and 3 spot drill) and lifting backspin. I'm not able to lift more than 3200 rpms with my BH anyways :)

A friend of mine has the same robot and I've also really struggled with the backspin you can get from this robot, especially when trying to do more than just lift it on.

If you have a search through this forum you'll find a thread where people talk about the settings on the app, that might be helpful with figuring out how to program realistic shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

Definitely set power to be weak for the footwork. The hardest part of footwork is not about jumping to the right place but also to power from your leg straightaway, and jump again. Setting to high power defeats the point.

Regarding the backspin (which is often called “opening loop”), I used to work with a very basic robot. The trick I did back then was to make it like a long serve so the ball doesn’t go fast toward you. If you let the robot catapult a backspin ball from outside the table, it’s not realistic.