Great video- Table Tennis Match Psychology with Marles Martins

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I have watched lots of videos over the last 6 months but this interesting one has just come to my attention.

Marles Martins is a high level coach who gives a long (1 hour 22) talk about how top players use psychology to win games. Particularly he advises on ways to use the breaks between rallies to refocus and calm down if you have lost a couple of bad points or your opponent is being difficult.

For example he explains that he will get his players to look at him and make eye contact if they have lost a couple of points. If you don't have a coach then he says to pick a point in the hall and focus on that when you need to calm down.

Also if you are annoyed about losing a couple of bad points don't serve short and get into a gentle net game when adrenalin is rushing through your body. Better to serve a long fast ball and then attack the long return.

He even gives ideas about upsetting your opponent but does not recommend it!!!

This is a long and involved video and you will need to watch just a bit at a time. There are lessons for players wanting to improve particularly if, like me, you often lose your cool and make silly mistakes. What do you think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_i2B5c6JzU

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Very good! Early 2000s Marles was coach of the Brazilian team.

He is obviously an experienced coach. One of his sayings is "Play as you practice and practice as you play". This reduces the difference between playing at your club and playing in a match.

He mentions seeing a young German player in an ordinary practice session. He hit each and every ball with absolute maximum effort and commitment. I am sure you can guess who that young German player was.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
He is obviously an experienced coach. One of his sayings is "Play as you practice and practice as you play". This reduces the difference between playing at your club and playing in a match.

He mentions seeing a young German player in an ordinary practice session. He hit each and every ball with absolute maximum effort and commitment. I am sure you can guess who that young German player was.
Dima.