Beginner equipment for my 8 year old daughter

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hi there, I’m looking for advise on what kind of blade & rubber would be appropriate for my 8 year old daughter. She has taken around 15 lessons in table tennis so far & is able to connect the ball etc. to have short rallies. I was thinking of a heavier blade like Hunter Equalizer & a thin controllable rubber like Dr. Neubauer Special Defense with 1 mm thickness for both forehand & backhand. My daughter is a Shakehand player. Appreciate any inputs/advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I can recommend Palio cj8000 36-38. To keep the weight down 1.5 mm would be fine to begin with. It's not too fast and the surface is a bit tacky and very grippy. And the sponge is lavender colored ;)

Buy it from eacheng very cheap
https://m.eacheng.net/Palio-CJ8000-36-38°-p811582.html

And for blade I see that this one is especially made for childrens hands. But I would sand the wings if they aren't already.

https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/tibhar-samsonov-start

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
[h=1]Joola Tanja ATTACK table tennis bat.[/h]This is a table tennis bat with smooth pimples in rubbers with sponge
for players with recognizable playing ability.

Ideal for young girls

Ergo Power Grip Anatomic Handle
Joola Fiesta rubber ITTF approved
Weight: 154 grams

Speed 80
Spin 84
Control 86

This is a nice blade but really, I would rip the rubbers off and add ""61Seconds Eagle" 1.5mm

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,
The set up that my kids were / are using, 10 and 12 yr old.
is -
Blade - Tibhar IVL Balsa, which is a very light blade.
Rubbers - Tibhar Aurus Sound both sides 1.7mm

this is well balanced set up and light, which I think is good for youngsters.
Its not a cheap set up, around €110 which a lot of people would consider too expensive for beginners. But the rubbers have an good reputation for lasting a long time, my kids have been using them for over 1 1/2yrs now and they are still producing good spin.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wait, why wouldn't you ask the coach who has given her 15 lessons? Take his word for what would be good for her over a bunch of us who have never seen her play.

It took 9 posts, but Carl had to be the one to pop the OP bubble with common sense.

Buy what you want man, 1mm sponge, child, please.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
As Long as the rubber have grip, Then she can use anything.

Reactions: IB66
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
And cj8000 definetly have grip ;)

So true, they are great for the money and for the very same reason I suggested """61seconds eagle"" 1.5mm.
I got some on an old sanwei J7 and can't even remember when i put them one there but they are still sticky after a very long time and give a great feel for the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
So true, they are great for the money and for the very same reason I suggested """61seconds eagle"" 1.5mm.
I got some on an old sanwei J7 and can't even remember when i put them one there but they are still sticky after a very long time and give a great feel for the ball.
Looks like Eagle is also a hybrid type rubber with slightly tacky surface that you can get in 36-38 as well. Has similar throw angle. Is it lighter and faster than Cj8000?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Looks like Eagle is also a hybrid type rubber with slightly tacky surface that you can get in 36-38 as well. Has similar throw angle. Is it lighter and faster than Cj8000?

the 61 eagle is tackier than the CJ8000
I only have experience with 61 eagle 1.5mm H36 and Palio CJ800 1.8mm H 36-38 with the "lavender" sponge.
The 61 eagle is IMO the better choice.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You guys, are you still seriously recommending equipment for an 8 year old girl you have never seen play, don't know the size of her hand, don't know how strong she is, when someone has given this girl 15 lessons who could just tell the OP what she needs?

Think about it.

Can you tell me what size shoes I should wear? I want a new pair of shoes. Can you tell me what size to get?

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
You guys, are you still seriously recommending equipment for an 8 year old girl you have never seen play, don't know the size of her hand, don't know how strong she is, when someone has given this girl 15 lessons who could just tell the OP what she needs?

Think about it.

Can you tell me what size shoes I should wear? I want a new pair of shoes. Can you tell me what size to get?
Yes we are/were.
OP came with a description of how she plays (sort of). She's obviously a beginner and a typical allround setup will do. What else would?
She's an 8 year old girl, so most likely she has small hands. A couple of blades with handles made for children were mentioned. I just came to think of an affordable blade in great quality that could maybe be an option. Just wanted to mention it. But maybe it's not light enough, and maybe the handle is too big. As you said, we don't know.

And shoe sizes are a lot more varied than handle sizes. That's also why most shoes come in most sizes, so most likely I wouldn't have to ask for your foot size. But there is difference between children sizes and grown up sizes. So recommending childrens shoes for a child would make more sense yes.

Last edited: