was it correct decision?

says Aging is a killer
I think that Kun thought that the ball from Hugo hit the table then net. There were 2x umpires for that match so no doubt that the correct decision was made. But I will say that that net must have been very stiff.
I am also surprised that he did go for the ball as it's something that happens at almost every tournament or training session.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
[...] But I will say that that net must have been very stiff.
I am also surprised that he did go for the ball as it's something that happens at almost every tournament or training session.

It happens at every training session or tournament, but you still got it incorrect? The ball hit the net clamp, not the net itself. How stiff the net is has nothing to do with what happend.

says Aging is a killer
It happens at every training session or tournament, but you still got it incorrect? The ball hit the net clamp, not the net itself. How stiff the net is has nothing to do with what happend.

No need to be an a-hole in your comment. I did not look at in slow-mo. But you are correct, it hit the net clamp.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Have it always Been part of the net? Think they have changed this rule over time?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
Excuse my stupidity but the ball only seem to hit the net clamp and not the table. Was Sidorenko right in this case?
If umpire is right and it hit net clamp, then Sidorenko is wrong.
But I think that it hit table there. Because after hitting net clamp it was supposed to go more forward rather than sideways. And it looks to me that it went to the side after contact. In this case Sidorenko is right.
Watched it on a phone, so maybe I missed some details there

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
According to ColinEvolution.pdf, the rule was changed in 1993.
Net clamp defined as part of net assembly and not of playing surface.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Excuse my stupidity but the ball only seem to hit the net clamp and not the table. Was Sidorenko right in this case?

If umpire is right and it hit net clamp, then Sidorenko is wrong.
But I think that it hit table there. Because after hitting net clamp it was supposed to go more forward rather than sideways. And it looks to me that it went to the side after contact. In this case Sidorenko is right.
Watched it on a phone, so maybe I missed some details there

Watched it many times. Ball only hit the netclamp, not the table. In fact I never for once got the impression that it might have hit the table edge. So point to Yu Khinhang. Only the discussion afterwards can really be considered an instant classic.

Jan 2018
That "save" by Boll was different. LGY's return clipped the net[1], bounced on the table then touched the net[2], then bounced on either the net clamp or the undercarriage or both[3] before Boll scooped it back up.

The point was still in play for [1] and [2], but would've been over for [3] if it hit the undercarriage, according to:

2.10.1.3 if, after he or she has made a service or a return, the ball touches anything other than the net assembly before being struck by an opponent;

The question then, is it the undercarriage or attachment system? Is the attachment system part of the net assembly?
Chapter 3 and 6: https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/T1_Table_BoD_2016_v2.pdf

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The undercarriage is not a part of the net assembly. They are legs...
In all these cases the umpires were right, and the players/pundits were wrong!! :cool:
It is basic umpire training: Table is table, net is net, anything else is, well..., anything else.
According to the law these are easy situations, but sometimes it might be difficult to see.

That "save" by Boll was different. LGY's return clipped the net[1], bounced on the table then touched the net[2], then bounced on either the net clamp or the undercarriage or both[3] before Boll scooped it back up.

The point was still in play for [1] and [2], but would've been over for [3] if it hit the undercarriage, according to:

The question then, is it the undercarriage or attachment system? Is the attachment system part of the net assembly?
Chapter 3 and 6: https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/T1_Table_BoD_2016_v2.pdf

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Skjermbilde.jpg
This is from FAQ page 25 on the ITTF URC page. And from the law: The net assembly shall consist of the net, its suspension and the supportingposts, including the clamps attaching them to the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeio
Jan 2018
Some info on the FAQ, for future reference.

The FAQ was first released around Aug, 2016. It's a document of "recommendations" presented by the ITTF URC, as opposed to interpretations or clarifications by the ITTF.

This document presents a lot of questions which have been sent to ITTF URC/discussed during IR conferences and concerns/issues which are not always exactly defined in regulations and directives. Therefore ITTF URC presents recommendations, which will help us to have a common standard in all events. Nevertheless it is possible that some described procedures have to be adapted to the circumstances at each specific event.

10/2016
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ITTF_URC_FAQ.pdf
5/2017
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/FAQ2017.pdf
9/2020
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Frequently-Asked-Questions.pdf

Reactions: Mytoman