2020 China National Championship

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I haven't really watched enough in recent times to say, but it feels like (and based on sentiment from those in the know) that Sun Yingsha may end up being the leader of the women's team in the next generation...

Sun Yingsha and Wang Manyu - in fact on mytt, I remember someone posting that ZYL had missed her chance to win a WTTC because the SY/WMY generation was coming up too quickly (and at this time, we barely even know who they were). I thought he was being too pessimistic, but he has largely turned out to be right, even with CM and LSW playing in the last WTTC final.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
CM: I've been suppressing my form for the last several years so that I could win the Grand Slam in the shortest amount of time - 150 days!

For reference, ZJK did it in 445 days. If CM pulls it off, she'll make history for achieving it without any national and continental titles, except for a now-defunct regional title that almost no people remember anyway. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Rather than telling people they should have been able to read your mind and personal feelings on the matter, you can just say that you worded your first post poorly and clearly stated that his performance at this tournament has an affect on his GOAT title and legacy, and he needs to prove his skill. It is literally your exact words.

It does actually affect Ma Long's reputation if he faces LGY again and loses again in another event. Then you could say that he's recently lost twice now to LGY which says something about his performance and whether it's just a team's match or not, it's still a serious match that it's a test of players' skill and how good they are.

And it's not like Ma Long can afford to lose at all especially that he's past age of 30 and needs to work extra hard to prove himself still being worth of being able to beat all the top players otherwise he can be easily replaced. Do you think that the CNT does not take these things into account? I think they do, even teams matches like these.

Maybe the word legacy is too big of a word to use in that context, but the teams match does affect the perception of the players performance and makes the player reflect on their overall game strategy. Because if he doesn't then can easily lose again to LGY in another event that really matters.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It does actually affect Ma Long's reputation if he faces LGY again and loses again in another event. Then you could say that he's recently lost twice now to LGY which says something about his performance and whether it's just a team's match or not, it's still a serious match that it's a test of players' skill and how good they are.

And it's not like Ma Long can afford to lose at all especially that he's past age of 30 and needs to work extra hard to prove himself still being worth of being able to beat all the top players otherwise he can be easily replaced. Do you think that the CNT does not take these things into account? I think they do, even teams matches like these.

Maybe the word legacy is too big of a word to use in that context, but the teams match does affect the perception of the players performance and makes the player reflect on their overall game strategy. Because if he doesn't then can easily lose again to LGY in another event that really matters.

To put it mildly, you have a very interesting view of TT. You probably need to get closer to how the Chinese coaches view the national events. Ma Long is mostly playing this year to stay in shape, this is not an event he usually tries to peak for - it isn't the National games. He would probably have skipped it this year had the Olympics happened and might have skipped it if he played the Olympics Test singles.

The top players on CNT lose to each other - in fact, Ma Long is probably the only player in TT history with good results in both national and international events of every kind and level. Beijing losing is not a big deal in the least when put in perspective for ML.

Last edited:
Reactions: matzreenzi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

If this second ML-LGY loss happened, and LGY lit up everybody else on the CNT, and LGY won a major event, and ML was injured, then maybe LGY would take his place in Tokyo 202x. I'm sure somebody in Macau would give you great odds on that as a prop bet.

Reactions: NextLevel
Jan 2018
https://www.sondakika.com/haber/haber-masa-teniscileri-cin-de-ceyrek-finalde-2807484/
masa-teniscileri-cin-de-ceyrek-finalde-2807484_o.jpg

Jan 2018
https://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2020-10-07/doc-iivhvpwz0693817.shtml
5 Ma Te 1-3 6 Liao Hongran
8 YA 0-3 7 Niu Guankai
9 YZY 2-3 10 Zhang Chao
12 Zhao Zhaoyan 1-3 11 Liang Yanning
24 Xu Haidong 0-3 23 Zeng Beixun
25 Sun Wen 0-3 26 Wang Bo
56 Zhou Qihao withdrew, 55 Quan Kaiyuan W/O