2020 China National Championship

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
LoL People thinking that Ma Long should change is set up just because he loose 4-3 in a final. Let me tell you something, Ma Long today was not even at his top. I think he recover only 90% of his form
It's not just this match. Father time is catching up to ML. His playing in God mode is becoming more streaky. ML's last career goal is winning a 2nd Olympics Men's Singles gold. A less important goal for him is to win his 4th consecutive WTTC Singles title. Both events are in 2021 if covid-19 doesn't interfere.

A few players can now stop him from his 4th WTTC title. For Olympics, it's only FZD when both are playing relatively well or Harimoto in top form and ML on an off day. This assumes ML and FZD will play in Olympics singles.

Trying a viscaria now will let him know if he can adjust and maintain his variation game effectively along with more power that is needed with the 40+ ball. He has settled with H3 on his BH. No need for any rubber changes.

And most importantly on TT forums, the solution to any problem is equipment change ????.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Its really funny reading stuff.. like.. people who never really won something meaningful are here to suggest Ma Long what he should change. haha, really funny! :)
Ma Long knows what to do. Dont you worry.

Another question - I would be really happy and grateful, if there was someone who would put all the results from all rounds in one post.
Men, Women, doubles.... Can anyone do it, please?
I think we are missing pretty much out!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I believe that it was a matter of Ma Long's bad tactics especially at the end. He should play FH top spin to Fan Zhendong FH side.

I know it's easy to say just to play to his FH but FZD isn't that good at continuing FH rallies. Once Ma Long would do a slow FH loop to his FH side, it would be hard for FZD to go full power on Ma Long and would probably miss a lot of shot.

But if Ma Long tries to play to his BH then FZD is gonna easily change directions and play to ML's wide forehand which he did twice at the end of the match.

I mean look, Ma Long is probably even well aware of that, when after FZD had done this twice in a row at 7-7 and 8-7 at the end of the match. And this was the crucial point of the match, where FZD did exactly the same tactic twice on Ma Long.

Last edited:
Reactions: matzreenzi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Just watched the WD Final. Has to be the Match of the tournament. Lot of long rallies and some crazy shots. Thank God pro TT is back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Its really funny reading stuff.. like.. people who never really won something meaningful are here to suggest Ma Long what he should change. haha, really funny! :)
Ma Long knows what to do. Dont you worry.
What's so far fetched about ML trying another blade. I'm sure CNT coaches and players discuss equipment changes. Didn't Ma Long change his BH rubber and his BH became much stronger, more stable. His FH pivot is often blocked/countered with 40+ ball. He needs a little faster blade to get a bit more power. His body is already breaking last few years due to more physical requirements of 40+ ball. Recent CNT equipment changes that appear to be successful are those made by LJK and CM.

Now is the time to try it. Maybe it gives him an edge. From now to WTTC and Olympics is training time for him anyway.

ML maintaining his level isn't good enough for his final career goals. Others are catching up or have caught up.

Reactions: drunix80
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Good match. FZD and ML are now a toss up. ML's rally change ups don't bother FZD as much. WCQ and LJK improving fast. LGY has his moments.

Time for ML to follow CM and switch to a Viscaria for a little more pop. He can keep his current blade handles. Should do this now to prepare for Tokyo Olympics.

Do you realise the W968 ML is using has far higher power and spin ceiling than Vis?

Pay attention to ML’s FH loop. The arc and dive after bounce are unbelievable. The spin is insane that is comparable to Xu Xin’s FH.

But I do understand where you are coming from. Vis enables faster recovery so it could be a good option for older athletes. However for world class athletes like ML, he would need a special Vis that has far higher power and spin ceiling.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
I believe that it was a matter of Ma Long's bad tactics especially at the end. He should play FH top spin to Fan Zhendong FH side.

I know it's easy to say just to play to his FH but FZD isn't that good at continuing FH rallies. Once Ma Long would do a slow FH loop to his FH side, it would be hard for FZD to go full power on Ma Long and would probably miss a lot of shot.

But if Ma Long tries to play to his BH then FZD is gonna easily change directions and play to ML's wide forehand which he did twice at the end of the match.

I mean look, Ma Long is probably even well aware of that, when after FZD had done this twice in a row at 7-7 and 8-7 at the end of the match. And this was the crucial point of the match, where FZD did exactly the same tactic twice on Ma Long.

I like to disagree here quite hard actually.
Nearly every player who plays against FZD frequently is avoiding his fh. If you watch the first games he played in the last 2 tournaments at least, you can see why. They all try to play fh ralleys against him.

His backhand though is quite deadly but predictable. That is why Ma Long and LJK especially focus their shots on his backhand. From this position they can build up and play on their on strategy terms.
Another reason for that might be that FZD isnt that good with incoming spin into his backhand. He usually blocks quite much instead of countertopspins. Though if his opponents try this on his fh, FZD is fast enough to nearly always go for a countertopspin with his fh.