Do you enjoy playing opponents that use tacky rubbers more than tensors?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
To me playing against players that use tensor rubbers has never been that much fun. The ball always springs from the racket and the game is very linear, which translates into being boring.

And the ball mostly travels most of the time with the same trajectory and it feels like it's too fast.

When it comes to pushing game with the backspin after serve, it's difficult to open up the game, especially when the player is using a setup such as Timo Boll ALC + Tenergy 05 or MX-P Tibhar rubber. And in the push game the ball always flies too long and it's difficult to open up so it seems like a never ending push game.

Then once the game opens up with a top spin, the top spin that comes from MX-P or other tensor rubber is basically the final shot of the rally, where it either lands on the table or it crashes straight into the net or outside.

With tacky rubbers, both using them and also playing against the opponent that is using them, it seems to be a lot more enjoyable.

The game seems to have so many more different situations and feels more interesting. You can do slow brush loops, you can do fast-attack hit strokes, you can do drop-shots, chops and the rallies seem to be a lot longer. You can also do those with tensors but it feels all very different.

I feel like playing against tensor rubbers can sometimes give you that seasick feeling because of that constant catapult effect, and with that it just feels unnatural. Tacky rubber-based game feels more natural all around because you have to put in more effort.

Share your experience of which game you enjoy more, when it involves tacky rubbers or tensor rubbers because they seem to be completely two different worlds it feels like. Almost like a different sport altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
Lol, tensor rubbers are apparently the new junk rubbers.
:))) I would say that tensor only users are simply not open minded. You get more power with hard & tacky rubbers, I saw Dan from TT Daily making a review for Neo 3 commercial saying it's slow, his technique is junk.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
:))) I would say that tensor only users are simply not open minded. You get more power with hard & tacky rubbers, I saw Dan from TT Daily making a review for Neo 3 commercial saying it's slow, his technique is junk.

I'm hoping the above is a joke. If anything, the above posts are proof of the opposite. Claiming that certain shots are attainable with tacky rubbers only or that tacky rubbers have some magical properties is just silly. Do not forget that it is the player who makes the strokes ...

Reactions: Aurelian Mihai
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
This is me with one of my friends (both beginners), last weekend, in a battle tacky vs tacky https://youtu.be/VgmbWsPcX-8

I don't matter if my opponent uses ESN/Tacky, in fact in Romania you will hardly find tacky rubber users

I love the reruns in slowmo!;)

Reactions: Aurelian Mihai
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Tacky rubber user like myself can create a more dynamic game. You can go short or long. You can go soft or hard. You can go for a powerful third ball attack or a short super spinny loop. In defence you can counterloop or chop.

And if you are a penholder like myself with tacky rubber on both sides, you can create far more tricks.

Just watch Ma Lin’s game and you will know what I am talking about.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Well, that is not because of tackiness but because of the low catapult effect of hard rubbers. But hard rubbers like Tenergy 05 hard also allow a similar game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Feel like same same. More different if they have pimples or anti.

This user has no status.
Depends on skill and style. With medium sponge tensors a lot of people can use a smaller compact stroke with medium power that lets them reset quickly and get ready for the next ball. All of that usually leads towards more consistency and longer rallies.

But, if they are trying to do a full stroke with big power most of the time, then yeah the game will go as you describe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
I'm hoping the above is a joke. If anything, the above posts are proof of the opposite. Claiming that certain shots are attainable with tacky rubbers only or that tacky rubbers have some magical properties is just silly. Do not forget that it is the player who makes the strokes ...
Yup, it was a kind of joke

Reactions: vvk1