Sanwei Paramid Blade

Reposting and separating this review for the Paramid blade to make this easier for online search.

Sanwei Paramid
Weight: 82 grams
Plies: 5 wood + 2 Carbon Aramid layers
Thickness: 5.66mm
Speed: Off+

TFdMZ5v.jpg

nMpA0ek.jpg

ifhlKTE.jpg

bGLZr3R.jpg

The Sanwei Paramid will be replacing the Sanwei F3 Pro blade. The Paramid is a 7 ply composite blade. It has Ayous outer plies with 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] layer Pine or Spruce and a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] layer Carbon-Aramid with Ayous core. This is a thin blade at about 5.7mm or in my case 5.66mm. The overall construction of the blade is fine and smooth to touch. At first glance, you can see that the quality of the Paramid blade is on par with Butterfly blades or Euro blades that are also made in China. For me this is the best blade of the 6 blades that I have received as I will be explaining further. The F3 Pro is a good blade but the Paramid blade offers a softer and better feel. The feedback is one of the most pleasant among Chinese made blades in the market right now. I have not felt this blade feedback feel since Adidas table tennis stopped producing blades. Blade head size for this is 159x150mm. It is advertised as having a length of 259mm but this is because the 100mm blade length is included in the measurement.

Speed

This is an off+ blade. I have used the Tibhar MX-S and also the Gears Hyper (37, 38 & 39 degrees sponge hardness) for the test. The Paramid has a fast speed and comparable to other famous blades like Butterfly Viscaria or the new Xiom Stradivarius. The speed is fast but it is not on the level of Tamca blades. It is fast enough for offensive shots but there is a high amount of control. Imagine that the Gear Hyper rubbers are already in the level of Donic Acuda S1, S2 and S3 speeds but the Paramid remains controllable. With the Tibhar MX-S rubber, it was even faster with a lot of sponge compression at far distance from the table. I would say this is a bit slower than the Sanwei LD Light or at the level of speed with Yinhe T-11+. More or less the Paramid is also in the level of Butterfly Innerforce ALC for its speed.

Looping

Looping is the best feature that this blade performs. With the Gear Hyper rubbers and MXS, it produces a medium to medium low arc when looping underspin. The blade has a good balance of flex and rigidity but favors more on the softer side compared to pure carbon blades in the market. The partial flex that the Paramid has gives some sort of a good amount of “dwell” when brushing the ball against backspin/underspin. This was a great looping machine especially when I used the Tibhar MX-S rubber. You could feel only a minimal amount of vibration on impact and the great feel upon impact enhances your loop which gives you a good amount of control that you can sense. Overall, it feels like a 7-ply all wood blade that is rigid but offers great looping capability.

Smashing and other flat hitting strokes

The Paramid is above average for smashers and flat hitters. It could be even excellent if paired with hard rubbers which have a range of hardness of 50 degrees ESN scale and above. Punch blocks have a bit of higher arc compared to other rigid blades like the Sanwei Hynover which is better at flat drives and smashes. It is fair to say that the Paramid can perform these strokes with above higher expectations despite these strokes not being its forte. I can attribute the lesser capacity if flat drives probably due to the blade thickness and also the carbon aramid component which gives only a medium still feel.

Blocking, etc.

The Paramid is excellent in blocks and because of the great feel the blade offers, blocking is not hard on this blade. It is fairly stable when blocking fast and powerful shots. There is some vibration that you can feel when blocking very strong shots but it is minimal and does not affect play. On softer shots like drop shorts or flicks, the Paramid performs very high in my list.

Conclusion

So far this is one of the best budget blades in the market that can go toe to toe with Viscaria or Innerforce type of blade. At a lower price, it can definitely do everything those high end blades can offer even at higher levels of play. This is the blade to watch out for this year. I would recommend it especially for technical players and loopers who rely mostly on heavy spin coupled with fast and powerful speed while not sacrificing control in every shots they make.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Hi Yogi. Can you compare this blade to the xiom 36.5 ALX? Which is better for intermediate player? Thanks.

Hi Yogi. Can you compare this blade to the xiom 36.5 ALX? Which is better for intermediate player? Thanks.
Depends. Both have almost the same speed but there are times the Paramid feels more woody. You cannot really say 1 is better than the other. It is on how you use them.

Thanks for the review Yogi. Since you mentioned softer feel I imagined the typical muffled feel of aramid. Is it so, or it is more like the all-wood softness?

Yogi is there a new 7ply all wood coming out on sanwei line?

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk
They remade the Fextra.