Backspin serve problem

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Hello guys I want to ask I see a lot of people on videos in youtube performing short under-spin serve and they’re ball is coming back to the net easy with very little brush motion however when I try doing it the max I get is the ball stopping or just a little coming back and I feel like I brush the ball a lot more and the ball stays longer on the racket than the people in the videos and its not like my rubber doesn’t have spin its skyline tg 3 neo on 2 months racket is stiga all round classic I don’t know where is the problem I even see some people brushing the ball downwards not horizontal and still managing it to come back to the net

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Search for Dan tabletennisdaily video on Ghost serve. Practise for a month on each step he says, 3 times a week, 30 minutes each. When you are good, ofcourse everything looks easy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Read 2 reviews
You're not totally wrong about them having little brush movement, but here's the thing - it is not about how big your motion is, it is about the speed of your swing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
You're not totally wrong about them having little brush movement, but here's the thing - it is not about how big your motion is, it is about the speed of your swing.

There is a bit but not much about speed of the swing. When you are ok at it, you increase the speed of the swing to increase the amount of spin/energy, but the basic doesn’t need a lot.

Ma Lin’s serve is particular. It’s essentially the same but watch for the speed of the ball coming out then coming back. It’s probably NOT what you want when you start.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hello guys I want to ask I see a lot of people on videos in youtube performing short under-spin serve and they’re ball is coming back to the net easy with very little brush motion however when I try doing it the max I get is the ball stopping or just a little coming back and I feel like I brush the ball a lot more and the ball stays longer on the racket than the people in the videos and its not like my rubber doesn’t have spin its skyline tg 3 neo on 2 months racket is stiga all round classic I don’t know where is the problem I even see some people brushing the ball downwards not horizontal and still managing it to come back to the net

Hi,

Any chance of seeing your serve practice on Video?

I think you should be able to learn to make the ball stop and come back (slowly) without any real wrist action, tightening grip at impact, or even arm movement, minimum brush !!!!

Basic speed of the serve action comes from the body movement.

I fix my arm in place, bat held flat and then try and serve using just my body service action, rotation / forward movement produced by the serve action.
Really strange to start with but you'll find that more than enough initial speed is generated by only using your body.
Then you can try and add a small arm movement (no wrist) or wrist (no arm) which gives some more speed, then add the wrist and arm (stroke is getting faster now), then 'pinching' of the fingers at impact which adds even more speed.

what I've found is that the more speed you try and add to the serve stroke, the harder it is to get consistent contact,

the 'rigid' serve practice using only the body movement just helps to show that what appears to be less is more!!!
body movement / rotation / weight transfer is overlooked sometimes, especially for serving.

you will also be surprised that when you add the additional arm / wrist movement how much extra spin is added because of the extra speed.

INITIAL BASE SPEED SHOULD BE WITH BODY MOVEMENT/WEIGHT TRANSFER

SPEED & LIGHT BRUSHING AT BALL CONTACT ARE VERY IMPORANT TO PRODUCE THE HIGHEST LEVELS OF SPIN.

Also, don't get caught up too much with trying to do the 'Ghost' serve, it's easy to return with a push, (if you read it correctly!!)

All very good short serves have some element of side spin, generally back/side spin, pure side spin, top/side spin etc. these are 'trickier' to return!!

There's also a video out there on U tube '49 ways to serve' well worth a look. he makes it look oh so easy!!

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Apparently now the key is not only the wrist, but also ‘pinching’ the thumb and index finger.
as the wrist snaps thru, pinching the fingers increases the speed at contact and therefore the spin.
You can also use the ‘trigger’ method, to get extra speed at contact and therefore spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Need video. No idea to try to help otherwise.

This user has no status.
Apparently now the key is not only the wrist, but also ‘pinching’ the thumb and index finger.
as the wrist snaps thru, pinching the fingers increases the speed at contact and therefore the spin.
You can also use the ‘trigger’ method, to get extra speed at contact and therefore spin.

What is the trigger method please?