Butterfly Mizutani Zlc super info

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Hi everyone ,I would like some advice please.
I recently purchased a Mizutani Zlc Super blade ,how do I go about finding out whether or not it is genuine?

Look forward to your advice.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi everyone ,I would like some advice please.
I recently purchased a Mizutani Zlc Super blade ,how do I go about finding out whether or not it is genuine?

Look forward to your advice.

Where did you purchase it from? How much did it cost? What makes you think it is not real? Can you post photos of the base of the handle and both sides of the blade face with handle included?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Where did you purchase it from? How much did it cost? What makes you think it is not real? Can you post photos of the base of the handle and both sides of the blade face with handle included?
I bought it from a guy who is known to me,I didn’t pay as much as I would of expected but I still paid a fair few £££££’s for it though.Ive looked and the handle isn’t the same as others I’ve seen.
Photos to follow shortly.

Not really posted in along time.How do I put photos on?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
61014826-1409-493B-9CDC-08C85FB940CB.jpg80DBCECD-7B4D-4FE2-8F6B-114DD922F817.jpg9FC859E1-F7CB-4349-8882-615B83EDEE69.jpgF949599C-6764-43CC-9D00-FD03DAB95503.jpg61014826-1409-493B-9CDC-08C85FB940CB.jpg9FC859E1-F7CB-4349-8882-615B83EDEE69.jpgF949599C-6764-43CC-9D00-FD03DAB95503.jpg80DBCECD-7B4D-4FE2-8F6B-114DD922F817.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Hope someone can advise me,as I’ve contacted Butterfly in different forms and had no joy.Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
You will not like my thoughts about your Mizutani SZLC: I think, it is a fake. Sorry.
If I remember right, Butterfly released the Mizutani Super ZLC in 2014,
but all blades with serial numbers beginning with an M are produced in 2012.

Of course not all blades with serial M are fake-blades, but nearly all fake blades
have such a serial number (beginning with M) - why ever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I have to agree with Magic. Given Butterfly's very high quality control, I believe we can rule out that there is a genuine Mizutani SZLC starting with the letter M out there...as Magic explained the SZLC was released in the summer of 2014 (letter O), whereas M indicates 2012...
There are other minor details such as the size of the J.T.T.A.A. stamp for instance. With a genuine Mizu SZLC blade the stamp is within the boundaries of the yellow stripes; the stamp on your blade however actually touches the yellow stripes and the yellow and black stripes generally seem a little (too much) misaligned (see first pic) or not straight enough, whatever you wanna call it.
On first glance this might look like a genuine blade to someone, but on second glance there are some things that are just a little too odd.
My take is that it is a good, maybe even very good fake, but still a fake.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I seem to remember watching a video that showed how Butterfly blades are made and they showed how the serial numbers were """"Laser-burned""" (or something)
The blade shown here it looks like the serial number is ""stamped"""" (or something)
Could be just the picture , or my eyes.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, here is a page that gives a decent amount of info on real vs fake Butterfly equipment:

https://pingsunday.com/fake-butterfly-table-tennis-products/

Here is a link to a great article with pics and details of what to look for to determine if a Butterfly blade, rubber, shoe etc is a fake or not.

How to Identify Fake Butterfly Table Tennis Products • PingSunday

If you look a little higher up, I had already linked to this. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
The blade is definitely fake. I am really sorry that you were unlucky and unaware of it when you bought.
As some already mentioned the serial seems to state a production year that wasn’t applicable for the SZLC. The handle is asymmetric and the logos are off. The butterfly logo in the end of handle the wings should have been more shiny than the rest of the logo. The J.T.T.A.A. font is wrong and too wide. If you do a quick google search of the blade and try to look closer on the details we have mentioned in the thread you will notice the difference.

Here is a blade I tested from the first production of the MJ SZLC.

3A97D658-442A-4531-ADE8-833ED523A182.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
Yep. Also looks like the handle is not symmetrical. Pink area near the J side of JTTAA is narrower than on the A side. And, shouldn't the silver tag say Butterfly and shouldn't the wings angle out more.

I just checked my Timo Boll ALC and Viscaria (both bought in the last 2 years from TT11.com so fairly sure they're legit) and both of them have a silver badge with no "Butterfly" text and the wings of the logo are not angled out (they are spaced more like how they are in OPs photos. I'm not sure if newer Butterfly blades have silver logos with no lettering and logos with more "angled in" wings.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I just checked my Timo Boll ALC and Viscaria (both bought in the last 2 years from TT11.com so fairly sure they're legit) and both of them have a silver badge with no "Butterfly" text and the wings of the logo are not angled out (they are spaced more like how they are in OPs photos. I'm not sure if newer Butterfly blades have silver logos with no lettering and logos with more "angled in" wings.

Totally possible that the silver tag changed. I don't really know. But there would be a distinguishable difference between the color (or shine) of the wings on the tag and the background. So the tag still does not look legit. And then there are all the other things that make it so the blade seems to be a counterfeit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Totally possible that the silver tag changed...

Yes, there are two silver tags. The one you're thinking of was in use from 2009-2013/14. (Before 1987 there were no tags; the black tag was introduced sometime in 1987 and was in use until 2008 (with the starting letters G, H and I from 2006 -2008).
It's possible that the Mizutani SZLC was the first new blade that featured the new silver tag. The old one had wings of different sizes (the left one being smaller than the right one), and both wings were smaller than the current ones, allowing for a wider angle between them. On a side note: The green and red dots (green for composite and red for allwood blades on the bh side were introduced in 2016. So, the SZLC form 2014 and 2015 had the starting letters O and P and featured the "Ferrari-like" lens on the bh side of the handle until it was replaced in 2016 with the green dot.

Hypothetically speaking, a Mizutani SZLC with the starting letter N, a new silver tag and the green dot on the bh side would be a de facto fake.

Since OP mentioned that he paid "a fair few £££££’s" for it, I wonder what he will do with the information given to him. After all, he knows the person who sold the blade to him. If that person would be my friend/club mate he would get a serious talking to from me.