When is a good time to upgrade the racket?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Yeah guys when is a good time to upgrade the racket I am playing with stiga allround classic from one year with a coach my plan for me next racket is off- stiga offensive nct so it should not be such a big leap I think I know all the fundamental skills so I don t know when is a good time for faster racket what do you guys think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Yeah guys when is a good time to upgrade the racket I am playing with stiga allround classic from one year with a coach my plan for me next racket is off- stiga offensive nct so it should not be such a big leap I think I know all the fundamental skills so I don t know when is a good time for faster racket what do you guys think?
Edit: offensive NCT might be fine, but haven't tried it, so don't know if it's too stiff because of the coating coming from allround classic. If you really feel like lacking speed, then just go ahead. Though the more obvoius upgrade would be either allround evolution or offensive classic. Energy Wood V2 is a bit faster version of allround evolution.

You could also Change to faster rubbers instead. But I would only Change 1 thing at a time, so you can better noticed the where the difference in Change is.

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Can we see footage of you playing? Has your coach recommended you upgrade?

Personally, if you were going to upgrade, I would go with a blade like the Xiom Offensive S rather than the Stiga blade you mentioned. The play quality will be similar. The Xiom blade will have better craftsmanship and will be able to last for longer.

But the truth is, there is nothing wrong with what you already have. I would just continue to use it unless you actually have a real reason to get a faster setup. For the first 5 years, usually, if someone uses something in that speed category, it is better for their development. But if your coach tells you it is time to upgrade, listen to your coach.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

Personally, if you were going to upgrade, I would go with a blade like the Xiom Offensive S rather than the Stiga blade you mentioned. The play quality will be similar. The Xiom blade will have better craftsmanship and will be able to last for longer.

But the truth is, there is nothing wrong with what you already have. I would just continue to use it unless you actually have a real reason to get a faster setup. For the first 5 years, usually, if someone uses something in that speed category, it is better for their development. But if your coach tells you it is time to upgrade, listen to your coach.

I guess you are right carl I have very good progress but I should get more consistent I just have very high standarts and my coach told me I cant get such quality and fast shots with slower blade and that it is harder to serve too but I guess it is still too early for me to change I will try to upload clips from me doing basic drills before few months

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Looking at the current setup that shows up in your profile, I've a feeling that you will love Butterfly Viscaria. I'd like to share my personal experience when I asked similar question few months back. At that time, I had been playing for about a year and half, and I asked if I should go for Viscaria. I was mostly told to take baby step and don't do any big jumps. I accepted the common wisdom and stayed with what i had at that time. Time passed and I did not play much in last 6 months due to the COVID pandemic, so my game style or skill did not change much. Interestingly only recently, my sister gifted me Butterfly Viscaria on my birthday. I was afraid that it's going to be to too fast, too difficult to control and would be just too much for me, but the truth is that I Love this blade, I'm enjoying playing Table tennis lot more. It's really a gem of a blade, the vibration is just perfect for me. It has a great finish and the handle and the head is little small. Perhaps that's helping me to switch from FH to BH with more ease and do nice loops with more spin and accuracy. I felt that i shouldn't have listened to what most of the people suggested me at that time (about 6 months back). Don't get me wrong, I'm very sure that they all wanted to help me and were giving the best advice that they could based on what little they know of my playing skills, but the fact is that now I feel that I took a wrong decision at that time. So based on my personal experience, I recommend you to not to hold yourself back on a high quality blade and please don't take baby steps; You would end up owning a lot of blades. Be brave, try Viscaria today :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Looking at the current setup that shows up in your profile, I've a feeling that you will love Butterfly Viscaria. I'd like to share my personal experience when I asked similar question few months back. At that time, I had been playing for about a year and half, and I asked if I should go for Viscaria. I was mostly told to take baby step and don't do any big jumps. I accepted the common wisdom and stayed with what i had at that time. Time passed and I did not play much in last 6 months due to the COVID pandemic, so my game style or skill did not change much. Interestingly only recently, my sister gifted me Butterfly Viscaria on my birthday. I was afraid that it's going to be to too fast, too difficult to control and would be just too much for me, but the truth is that I Love this blade, I'm enjoying playing Table tennis lot more. It's really a gem of a blade, the vibration is just perfect for me. It has a great finish and the handle and the head is little small. Perhaps that's helping me to switch from FH to BH with more ease and do nice loops with more spin and accuracy. I felt that i shouldn't have listened to what most of the people suggested me at that time (about 6 months back). Don't get me wrong, I'm very sure that they all wanted to help me and were giving the best advice that they could based on what little they know of my playing skills, but the fact is that now I feel that I took a wrong decision at that time. So based on my personal experience, I recommend you to not to hold yourself back on a high quality blade and please don't take baby steps; You would end up owning a lot of blades. Be brave, try Viscaria today :)

I would love to see footage of you playing with that Viscaria. That would be nice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I think the viscaria will be too much for me I like hitting the ball hard and specially in games when there isn’t much time to be precise I will make much unforced errors still cant control at 100% my brush to hit ratio its not that I lack speed in my shots its just that when i get a good ball the speed isn’t a problem its on the hard balls that I feel my setup doesn’t compromise me at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I would love to see footage of you playing with that Viscaria. That would be nice.
Sure. One of these days I'll record. Infact I've been meaning to record myself for sometime now, specially the backhand since My backhand needs to improve lot more than my Forehand.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I think the viscaria will be too much for me I like hitting the ball hard and specially in games when there isn’t much time to be precise I will make much unforced errors still cant control at 100% my brush to hit ratio its not that I lack speed in my shots its just that when i get a good ball the speed isn’t a problem its on the hard balls that I feel my setup doesn’t compromise me at all.

My personal take on my setup which is currently Viscaria blade is that it can be slow or fast, as and when you want it to be. Yesterday another guy at the club tried my setup briefly (Viscaria + Hurricane Neo on FH and Rasanter r53 on BH) and his immediate response was that it feels great and doesn't feel too fast at all.

This would also help a lot.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess you are right carl I have very good progress but I should get more consistent I just have very high standarts and my coach told me I cant get such quality and fast shots with slower blade and that it is harder to serve too but I guess it is still too early for me to change I will try to upload clips from me doing basic drills before few months

Well, that sounds like your coach is implying you might want a faster blade. Ask him what he thinks of you getting an Off- blade like the Offensive S.

Reactions: Tango K