Short Pimple Medium pimple Clan!!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Can we start an Short Pimple/Medium Pimple Clan?

Please write a comment about your pips and combination.

Can everyone who uses short pimples on bh especially, say which blade they use and why?

Best for bh pips?
Best for fh topspin, still good for bh pips
Balanced between the two.

From my point of view I have started using a sanwei fextra and xiom solo, both of theses blades are excellent on the bh pip side, a lot better than my previous tibhar force pro blue. My pip hitting has gone up a big notch!! But I find both a bit bouncy on fh and harder to topspin with. I recently tried a Yasak Ma Lin Carbon which is much better on my fh topspin, but somehow lacks some solidity and punch on the bh.

I think it is hard to find the balance of blade for pips and modern tensor!

Surely carbon is the way if Mima Ito is anything to be guided by!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Currently using an SDC combination blade with Spectol Red 1.8mm (although it looks like I may have to find an alternative pips with the recent Victas/TSP announcement)

Before that I was using a Nittaku Violin Carbon with Spectol Blue 1.8mm

I measured the Spectol Red/Blue and there was only 1g and 1 degree difference between them. The Red being at the higher end of its hardness range and the Blue the lower.

I got the SDC to address the exact issue of balance for pips and modern tensor you describe - it doesn't exactly do this, but it is really good for short pips without compromising the smooth side too much.

I have been using it for just over a month now, so far, compared with my last blade, I seem to be doing a bit better with it against attacking players and struggling a little more against a couple of more awkward defensive types, since there are more attacking players, on balance I'm doing better!

Edit: I've now had a second SDC blade made with the same composition. This one had a slightly softer sheet of Koto selected and also ended up a fraction thicker (~5.65mm instead of ~5.60mm) due to nature of wood and the fact it is hand built.
Although the difference is very subtle, this one does actually feel slightly better for the tensor FH whilst retaining the performance for the SP side, I think this is probably about as close as I am going to get to 'the best of both worlds', it is certainly working for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
I tried a lot of different short pimples on BH. I’ve been playing with TSP Spinpips Red for a while now. On the forehand is Butterfly Dignics 09c, and the blade is Viscaria.
I used to play with blades that have slightly softer finishing veneers, such as hinoki (XIOM Vega Tour, Darker Esteem, Nittaku Septear Feel), but for an attacking game with short pimples, a harder koto is still better. So I switched to Viscaria. Since the Tenergy 05 was too fast for me on the Viscaria, I put Dignics 09c on FH. I can say that I am very happy with that combination.

P.S. I always play with max sponges on the forehand and backhand.

Reactions: MOG