Stupid question about Tenergy 05!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi Carl, any thoughts on the life of R48? How long does it lasts and is it factory boosted?

The boost effect does drop after about three weeks and it does go from feeling ungodly amazing to effing good after that. But, even without the boost effect, it feels like it generates massive amounts of spin.

The sponge is odd in that it reacts differently to different impacts. The idea is it does not catapult on soft touch and it does on more powerful impact. This causes some interesting side effects like, I really like to do these touch loops where I swing hard with very thin soft contact. And that causes me to get an entirely different throw angle than when I have deeper impact. But the spin on this rubber is amazing.

But I have a feeling Kuba has a point with Gewo Nexxus El Pro 48. MOG should get that as well. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Mog has good difference between 05fx and 05, this is kind of inside info.
I will think MOG will like Rhyzer 48 2,0 unboosted( 2 days with open package)
Why;? Because the throw is higher than 05 and hardness is between 05 and 05fx.
I think Butterfly should make 05 super soft for juniors
Super hard about 65 degree with limited quantity
And something between fx and classic 05 with the same pimple structure

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl said:
...I know some people who hit really hard who still prefer T05fx...

I do not think Carl has seen my hit with T05FX on either wing on a faster blade... he would quickly become a believer... but I think he believes already.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
The idea is it does not catapult on soft touch and it does on more powerful impact.

That is what I experienced with Dignics 05 when I first tried it. Flat hit (counter) feels hard and quite dull, on tangential hit the rubber becomes activated and supports the stroke.

R53 to me did these things even better - it felt more alive on passive or flat hits, which makes the difference to the active hits less big and easier to manage.

R48 brings this to - well, us ;) (so we can leave the harder beast to Simon)

Energy Cell. It´s not just a new name invented by sales people, folks. It really works a treat.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
It is blade dependant too.

So I have discovered that part of my problem with my bad pimple hitting was my blade choice.

Tibhar Force Pro is really not that good for mid pimple hitting.

Xiom Solo is on a different planet of awesomeness for pip hitting, but something about it is playing havoc with my fh even after a month of using it. Even with 05fx my contact has to be almost perfect to get a good shot, especially a nice safe spinny placed loop.

On the force pro 05 is much better as the blade is a little soft.

On the fextra the pips are excellent and my fh loop is excellent if i get the right ball that I can loop.

When I am countering incoming speed Force Pro is by far the best as it is a bit less reactive, but I want to enhance my pip hitting as this is my unique point winning speciality, especially with the solo.

So I actually now might need to get a softer rubber for Xiom Solo to make it a little easier to loop with height and a little less bouncy (although soft rubbers are often bouncier).

But now the Ma Lin carbon seems decent with pips and much better on loops, maybe this is why many decent pip players use carbon blades as the best of both worlds.

I will try and show some video of my pip shots from last couple of tournaments. There is some in my advice on bh thread but i think everyone has lost interest in that thread.

And who could blame them!!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Buying a stiff blade for successful pip hitting is a real thing. Buying 05, 05fx, r48, and el pro 48 because you think it will change your fh loop is more like this.
https://youtu.be/InZydV39hb8

I think you are correct BRS.

What I need to decide though is what I want. Do I want the best bh pip hitting blade and make compromises on my fh which I think might be the best thing to do. But my fh cost me matches on Saturday, but maybe on a more balanced blade my bh would not have got me there in the first place.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Settle in and you’ll adapt.

The old coach I trust like no one else in TT wisdom always hammered on further developing your strengths.

I try not to be superstitious about material myself, and like to think I can play with anything as long as it grips the ball. That being said, I do prefer the feel, bite and kick of some equipment over others — and in the end I tend to pick what I have the most fun with. That may not be what I’d win the most with.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Settle in and you’ll adapt.

The old coach I trust like no one else in TT wisdom always hammered on further developing your strengths.

I try not to be superstitious about material myself, and like to think I can play with anything as long as it grips the ball. That being said, I do prefer the feel, bite and kick of some equipment over others — and in the end I tend to pick what I have the most fun with. That may not be what I’d win the most with.

If I adopt this attitude I think I would use Xiom Solo as my pip hitting is just insane when its on and the look on opponents faces is, wow!! Even if my forehand is about 10% accurate!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
whilst 05 is faster on attacking strokes, i assume it is easier to block and counter with as its harder
presumably it is easier to control incoming power loops as it is less bouncy

is this a correct assumption

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
What you said earlier. Get the best pip hitting blade. If you are going to use pips you have to build your game around the pips. Your fh will just have to adapt. You can't build it around your inverted fh and think the pips will adapt to whatever playing distance or contact timing or table positioning works for your fh. They won't.

Pips limit what where when and how. If you get all of that right they destroy people, which is why so many losers cry and complain about pips. But it's not a free lunch. You have to accept the limitations too. If you won't or can't accept it then go back to double inverted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I think you are correct BRS.

What I need to decide though is what I want. Do I want the best bh pip hitting blade and make compromises on my fh which I think might be the best thing to do. But my fh cost me matches on Saturday, but maybe on a more balanced blade my bh would not have got me there in the first place.

Or you can switch to penhold and go bareback. Less rubber = better feel.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
whilst 05 is faster on attacking strokes, i assume it is easier to block and counter with as its harder
presumably it is easier to control incoming power loops as it is less bouncy

is this a correct assumption

Blocking and countering are not T05's strengths. It's too spin-sensitive and bouncy for comfortable passive blocking (to my taste). That's why I prefer Fastarc-G1, which (to me) is in the same ballpark in terms of feeling. It comes alive once you start counterspinning, but then again, so does Rasanter R53 - which kicks T05's behind when counterspinning to boot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Blocking and countering are not T05's strengths. It's too spin-sensitive and bouncy for comfortable passive blocking (to my taste). That's why I prefer Fastarc-G1, which (to me) is in the same ballpark in terms of feeling. It comes alive once you start counterspinning, but then again, so does Rasanter R53 - which kicks T05's behind when counterspinning to boot.

G1 may have a similar feeling to T05 but I found it to be lacking in top end speed and spin significantly compared to T05, so this is worth mentioning.

I am not a fan of the term "passive blocking" - maybe I don't fully understand what it means, but blocking a shot should always be an active motion. Getting into place, getting behind the ball properly, dampening/punching and re-directing the shot accordingly. It should always be a very active motion.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
My next 2 sheets turned up today !!

R48 & RakzaZ, both in 2.0mm, looking at them now in their nice sealed wrappers!!!!!! Not for long!!!

I’ve tried the R53 it was good, some shots were great, like drives and counter hits, blocks were good, spin sweet!!! but too unforgiving for my poor technique, when I was slightly out of position I missed BIG!! (I’d miss small with other rubbers!!!) hope the R48 is similar but a little less ‘harsh’!!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
G1 may have a similar feeling to T05 but I found it to be lacking in top end speed and spin significantly compared to T05, so this is worth mentioning.

I am not a fan of the term "passive blocking" - maybe I don't fully understand what it means, but blocking a shot should always be an active motion. Getting into place, getting behind the ball properly, dampening/punching and re-directing the shot accordingly. It should always be a very active motion.

I refuse to do passive blocking even in practice, it is futile and pointless.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Passive is opposite of active , so I suppose passive block could be a block where you relax hand , very loose grip and then let the ball hit the blade, maybe move bat away from the ball slightly. Try and take off all the pace that’s on the ball, some might call it a soft block ??

Reactions: yoass and Tango K