TTD Member 7 25
    M
    says Learning TT...

TTD Member 25 7

User Info Menu

Sep 2018
    Romania
    Read 0 Reviews

Question A new era is born and the backhand topspin is dying?

Hello,

Something is happening in the table tennis world regarding the backhand topspin.
    If you watch the video below for example, they are not performing even a single backhand topspin during the entire game. We can see all other strokes but it seems that the backhand topspin is missing from their inventory. It seems that it has been completely replaced with that drive or whatever we want to call it where the player it just redirecting the ball back to the opponent by wiping the ball with a short stroke. When I say that the backhand topspin is dying I mean the Kreanga`s style backhand topspin where you actually hit the ball with power but more than that with a full swing of your arm and body.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35BT5pEMjg
    So what is happening and what/why caused this behavior and the transition to this drive or whatever we want to call it?
    Maybe someone who is involved in the coaching process may give more details.

Best regards.

says CHO!

Senior TTD Member 589 745
    says CHO!

Senior TTD Member 745 589

User Info Menu

Jan 2017
    Germany
    Read 2 Reviews
    They are playing many backhand topspins. It's just that women tend to play closer to the table and that the new ball also favors close to table play.
    And topspins close to the table need a shorter motion because you have less time. There is plenty of spin on the ball.

Even in the mens' game you can watch that, for example Harimoto. But there are still players who have big backhand winners like Jorgic.

The Following 11 Users Like Shifu's Post:

AndroidRX93, davizoosk and 9 others

says Over 30yr TT experience

Advanced TTD Member 99 263
    says Over 30yr TT experience

Advanced TTD Member 263 99

User Info Menu

I agree with Fabian. Plenty of backhand topspin played in this match.
    It's just that the movement is different. The orthodox backhand topspin with large swing, which started almost between your knees, evolved into a short, above the table, swing.

The Following User Likes P1ngP0ng3r's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 232 349
    T
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 349 232

User Info Menu

Jan 2020
    UK
    Read 0 Reviews
    Maybe u’re obsessed to Kreanga’s backhand away from the table ) which was itself not very popular back then. It’s quite the contrary, backhand topspin is now a lot more aggressive than in the 20th century. If you watch ITTF flashback, the backhand opening during Wang Liqin-Ma Lin time focused a lot on placement to surprise the opponent. And the center of the table was covered by forehand. If you watch backhand of Wang Chuqin, Harimoto, Lin Gaoyuan, Lin Yunyu etc. there are lots of power/pace to kill and they tend to cover wider area.

The Following 3 Users Like Tango K's Post:

AndroidRX93, Takkyu_wa_inochi and 1 other

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 90 298
    R
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 298 90
    yeah I see BH topspin there. not too many kill shots off the BH in womens TT.

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 192 522
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 522 192

A new era is born and the backhand topspin is dying?

Hugo Calderano has a pretty big and nasty backhand swing (unless he is doing the weird two hand tennis stroke )

The Following User Likes BryanY's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 497 550
    Z
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 550 497

User Info Menu

Mar 2019
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    The new ball which carries less spin disincentives waiting on the ball and attempting to take a big swing to load it up to spin. As Fabian mentioned, the game has moved more towards quick countering hence the shorter strokes at the table, but, there is still plenty of topspin on the ball. It is just taken earlier and done more with the wrist and forearm rather than a fuller swing.

The Following User Likes zyu81's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 121 414
    B
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 414 121

User Info Menu

Jul 2012
    Great Britain
    Read 0 Reviews
    There does seem to be a trend to open up the game "Fan Zhendong's" style with a very minimal hand movement when brushing the ball and using the body to "lift" up the ball. And I'm not talking about the BH flick close to the table. There is many times that you see him kind of doing the BH loop but very little hand movement but mostly body and it seems to happen in womens game the most.

The Following User Likes bzing's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 197 231
    H
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 231 197
    An outright loop kill of the backhand is a lot of power, and requires quite a lot of time (comparatively) to perform.

You are watching a women's game:

a) the power to outright kill the point from the backhand against a professional player is a heck of a lot of power, and most women simply don't have that.

b) they are standing too close to the table to be doing that on the regular.

The big backhand kills are slightly more frequent in men's games. But even then it's still pretty rare. Because if you know your opponent can outright kill the point from his backhand, why would you give them the opportunity to do it?

Many male players are capable of the big backhand loop kills in today's game. If anything, the general backhand technique of the average professional player is better than in the good ol days. But because so many people are going to punish you for a soft, long ball to their backhand, gone are the days of 'oh i'm just going to block this to my opponent's backhand corner because he basically has no backhand to punish me with'.

The Following User Likes Hysteresis's Post:

thomas.pong

Last edited by Hysteresis; 10-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,705 14,122
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 14,122 15,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian2016
    Hello,

Something is happening in the table tennis world regarding the backhand topspin.
    If you watch the video below for example, they are not performing even a single backhand topspin during the entire game. We can see all other strokes but it seems that the backhand topspin is missing from their inventory. It seems that it has been completely replaced with that drive or whatever we want to call it where the player it just redirecting the ball back to the opponent by wiping the ball with a short stroke. When I say that the backhand topspin is dying I mean the Kreanga`s style backhand topspin where you actually hit the ball with power but more than that with a full swing of your arm and body.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35BT5pEMjg
    So what is happening and what/why caused this behavior and the transition to this drive or whatever we want to call it?
    Maybe someone who is involved in the coaching process may give more details.

Best regards.
    Here. You watch this match of men playing and there will be some big backhands away from the table:

The Following 5 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

Andre74, BryanY and 3 others

Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 80 174
    P
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 174 80
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    Here. You watch this match of men playing and there will be some big backhands away from the table:

Calderano has an amazing backhand. I can't get over how many times he catches Fan Zhendong completely flatfooted in this match. All he can do is watch Hugo's backhands fly by as he's not even in position to reach them...

The Following 2 Users Like PushSmasher's Post:

thomas.pong and UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 1
    E
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

User Info Menu

Feb 2021
    Lithuania
    Read 0 Reviews
    I agree, I support you.

says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 5,842 3,509
    B
    says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 3,509 5,842

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    Nobody but Kreanga ever approached backhand like Kreanga. It was why he was fun to watch. You wondered how the hell he did it and couldn't wait to see him do it again. But if you watch better players from his prime era, say, Waldner, Persson, Samsonov, Kong Linghui, you just won't see them hit those full swing backhands, never in the case of Waldner,rarely in the case of Persson (who had one of the greatest backhands ever). So the Kreanga BH can't be seen as a standard.

Certainly the plastic ball has changed the game some (for the worse in terms of entertaining rallies), but offensive BH topspin is alive and well

The Following User Likes Baal's Post:

thomas.pong

Last edited by Baal; 02-04-2021 at 11:55 AM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 9 16
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 16 9

User Info Menu

Dec 2020
    South Africa
    Read 0 Reviews
    Other than the crazy wack of Kreanga, I understand OP is talking about less loop brushing, and more using incoming speed - driving the ball back.

There are many reasons, in no particular order:
    1) different era, different styles
    2) FH dominated player vs allround vs BH dominated player etc
    3) Bigger Ball vs 40mm and 38mm of yesty years.

I would say the biggest is technique has evolved. BH is more a in the table play stroke - superior compared to FH, and the moment you start stepping back, BH is more keeping the ball on the table, and you attack with FH more. The rallies are longer due to the big ball, so technique had to evolve to meet the requirement

The Following User Likes CoachTony's Post:

Baal

This user has no status.

TTD Member 35 38
    F
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 38 35

User Info Menu

Jan 2021
    UK
    Read 1 Reviews
    As some others have pointed-out above, the BH topspin is still very prevalent; it's just that the stroke-mechanics have changed - A lot of players, like FZD, Liam Pitchford, favour the more compact stroke... Still, I've seen players like Patrick Franziska, Hugo Calderano, and occasionally, even Timo Boll playing with a larger swing..

The Following User Likes Funk Fu Master's Post:

thomas.pong, yoass

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,617 5,513
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 5,513 2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango K
    Maybe u’re obsessed to Kreanga’s backhand away from the table ) which was itself not very popular back then. It’s quite the contrary, backhand topspin is now a lot more aggressive than in the 20th century. If you watch ITTF flashback, the backhand opening during Wang Liqin-Ma Lin time focused a lot on placement to surprise the opponent. And the center of the table was covered by forehand. If you watch backhand of Wang Chuqin, Harimoto, Lin Gaoyuan, Lin Yunyu etc. there are lots of power/pace to kill and they tend to cover wider area.

Yup i agree with this! The stroke is not as big as Kreanga's but there are still lots of bh topspin strokes. Also, the ball nowadays do not need that much swing anyways.

The Following User Likes yogi_bear's Post:

thomas.pong

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor at your service!

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 10,778 10,495
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 10,495 10,778

User Info Menu

Goon Squad had better activate on authority of no-cause emergency deployment and tell that rotten, no-good for nothing BH-Man over at MyTT he should cease and desist ASAP.

The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

thomas.pong

President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 975 2,033
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,033 975
    Well, I really don't know why people are usually discussing top players only.
    When I look how the youngsters in my club are training I know that the BH top spin will not die soon.

The Following User Likes langel's Post:

thomas.pong

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 112 159
    P
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 159 112

User Info Menu

Jul 2019
    Ireland
    Read 0 Reviews

My observation
    is that effect of the 40 mm ball and then plastic has meant that its more difficult for pros to make power. The result is that on both Fh and BH the ball is being played earlier in order to maintain pressure.
    And now a natural result of that is the new generation of players have discovered that maintaining agression is easier and more efficient staying close to the table with shorter strokes.
    Pitchford is one who started out his career with a tremendous early backhand rip but had a weakness on the fh side where he tended to drift off the table. He has mended that by playing far more fh counters off the the bounce. It is almost a supercharged version of the Klampar style which some of us remember.

Last edited by pingpongpaddy; 02-05-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    ppp

bh
    spinpips chop2
    yinhe ayous wood 1 ply
    fh
    max moristo sp

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,617 5,513
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 5,513 2,617
    To be fair, banana flicks are much common nowadays because you can lift a polyball easier having backspin.

The Following User Likes yogi_bear's Post:

Tango K

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor at your service!