Blade choice for short pimple

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hi everyone

My partner is trying to start using short pimple on her backhand, and we are not sure which blade she should use.

Here is her background... She has received proper training when she was little, so her forehand basic is very decent. Her backhand on the other side is very basic. Nothing more than blocking and pushing, very passive. Now she is interested in picking up short pimple on her backhand. The idea is utilise short pimple on backhand to set up for her forehand attack, since she is a lot more confident with her forehand.

Our question is, can we put a short pimple (SpinLord Waran) on her current 5 ply wood blade?
It is a Nittaku Violin. Slow, and control, with Ash as top ply. She knows it well, been using it for several years now.

We notice most online discussions suggest to use 7 ply wood instead. Will she be able to learn short pimps on her current blade? Or is she better off starting on a 7ply wood straight away.

Personally I use inverted rubbers on a Nittaku Adelie. Its 7ply, slow, good control, limba top, and thin. I wonder if I should just let her use my blade instead.

In my collection, I also have a Samsonov Force Pro Black, Donic Ovtcharov Senso V1 (walnut top). I found Samsonov a bit too fast, and Ovtcharov a bit too hard for myself. But it could just be me. I am happy to try them again if Adelie is more suitable for her.

Many thanks in advance:eek:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hi there!

Why doesn't she try it by herself ? I mean if it doesn't suit her, then she can reglue the waran on another blade.
I never tested the Violin but I heard many times it is a good blade for a blocking/hitting player. Pairing it with the Waran seems to be a good idea.

Hi :)
We are still waiting for the rubbers to arrive. So I thought I'd ask. She is indeed more pro hitting than she is looping.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
Thats good to hear! Do you like ash because of its hardness? Relative to limba anyway.
Yes, exactly this.

Also there is something about how it feels in comparison to other woods that have a similar hardness which just seems to work with SP for me, this is probably just a personal preference though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Yes, exactly this.

Also there is something about how it feels in comparison to other woods that have a similar hardness which just seems to work with SP for me, this is probably just a personal preference though.
Its very helpful to know. Thank you :)
Also I am thinking to just get her to practise blocking and pushing to start with. Is there anything short pips beginner should know about?

Many thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Waran is my favourite short pimple for a long time. Over a year with testing other rubbers in between.

It is great on hard and stiff blades but lacks the option for good spin.

If you use a blade with a little flex like the violin, you change the character of the rubber. It blocks and drives amazingly well and you have the option to spin the ball properly.

At first start with 1.5 mm sponge if your partner doesn't spin often. The thin sponge will create a limited amount of knuckle or float balls. If she likes to spin the ball a bit, move up to 1.8mm.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
It is expensive, but if her violin has too much flex for short pimples, she could try violin carbon (the outer carbon).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
It is expensive, but if her violin has too much flex for short pimples, she could try violin carbon (the outer carbon).

Yes, this is what I used until recently when I changed to a SDC combination blade, the SP side of which is loosely based on the Violin Carbon.

I'm sure the regular Violin will be fine for getting to know if Short Pips are going to work for her, if after a while she wants to upgrade to something a bit stiffer, something along the lines of a Violin Carbon could work.

7 ply all wood blades are also a good choice for SP, but if the main aim is to set up a FH attack, then something like this would be a good compromise.

Reactions: virtuososiu
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Waran is my favourite short pimple for a long time. Over a year with testing other rubbers in between.

It is great on hard and stiff blades but lacks the option for good spin.

If you use a blade with a little flex like the violin, you change the character of the rubber. It blocks and drives amazingly well and you have the option to spin the ball properly.

At first start with 1.5 mm sponge if your partner doesn't spin often. The thin sponge will create a limited amount of knuckle or float balls. If she likes to spin the ball a bit, move up to 1.8mm.
Thank you for the advice. We will try that :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The pips will be good on the force blade if she wants to attack. I think she could Maybe try medium pips. Attack with short pips are much less margin for error than inverted. If she will use backhand more passive i think medium pips would be better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
The pips will be good on the force blade if she wants to attack. I think she could Maybe try medium pips. Attack with short pips are much less margin for error than inverted. If she will use backhand more passive i think medium pips would be better.
Thats good to know actually, regarding margin for error.
which medium pimples would you recommend for beginners

Reactions: Trevize84

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Thats good to know actually, regarding margin for error.
which medium pimples would you recommend for beginners

I switched to spinlord kieler after using spectol red short pips.

Kieler are excellent imo and very versatile in 1.8mm, I have found them very easy to use.

They are much better on a hard or stiff blade, much, much better!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
HZW uses a Clipper CR.

If you are talking about his earlier basswood blades, 24 is a tall order. I can only get you 6. Weight and thickness are really the only important variables amongst these, don't loose sleep on the spec's that someone else uses.

563 is a good introduction to medium pips, and hard to beat at any price point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Clipper CR is a good blade! Can also loop with it. Good to think about the inverted side too. Fast and hard is good for pimples but maybe more difficult for inverted side.