Limba and Koto combination blade!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Does anyone know if anyone makes a combination blade, preferably 7 ply with a limba outer and a koto outer?
or Koto one side and Ash or anything else more loopy other side.

I have decided I need a nearly stiff 7 ply with limba etc for fh and koto for bh pips!

There must be something out there.

Nexy Arche might do it but looks more like a looping blade?

Reactions: nymose
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
That would actually be Awesome. I don't use pips on backhand, but I do more drives, smashes and short loops with my backhand. I really like limba on the forehand for serves and very spinny loops. But sometimes on the backhand I feel that the ball can hang a bit too long.
So Yeah, if there exist such a blade, I would really like to try it :)

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I'm not sure of specific compositions, but take a look at the selection of Combi blades here: https://www.vodak-dreva.cz/kategorie/combi/21/

I know they will also happily produce custom designs for you.

Their blades are absolutely top quality. I'm sure that's also true of other custom/niche producers on this site so I don't mean that Vodak is "the best". Rather, I mean that you needn't have any reservations ordering from a reputable/proven custom/niche producer rather than one of the big brands.

(Note: the website is in Czech, but if you open it in Google Chrome it should offer to translate it for you. You can also correspond with them in English via email and you'll get good feedback.)

Reactions: nymose
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I'm not sure of specific compositions, but take a look at the selection of Combi blades here: https://www.vodak-dreva.cz/kategorie/combi/21/

I know they will also happily produce custom designs for you.

Their blades are absolutely top quality. I'm sure that's also true of other custom/niche producers on this site so I don't mean that Vodak is "the best". Rather, I mean that you needn't have any reservations ordering from a reputable/proven custom/niche producer rather than one of the big brands.

(Note: the website is in Czech, but if you open it in Google Chrome it should offer to translate it for you. You can also correspond with them in English via email and you'll get good feedback.)
Awesome thanks! This One seems promising and not too expensive either:

https://www.vodak-dreva.cz/dreva/prometheus-combi-off-off-minus/44/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I don't seem to be able to copy a link directly to it, but if you look on SDC Handmade Blades' Facebook page, at the post dated 15 October, you'll see the following (with photos):

Asymmetric blade for a customer that plays with short pips on the BH.
Composition: Ash / A-C / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Koto

That might be close to what you're looking for? And if you want it thicker (which is what you seem to suggest) I'm sure Hipnotic will make it to your specification.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
That blade would be too thin for mid pips on bh, but they have some interesting stuff on there!!
Didn't notice that it's only 5.8 mm. Hmm, and I prefer all-wood. I Guess you could ask for a costum blade.

I've seen in older threads that Avalox p700 was often suggested for short/medium pips on one side, while still being good for looping on the other. I guess that was a good compromise. What did people move on to from there after the plasticball? Carbon blades?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Didn't notice that it's only 5.8 mm. Hmm, and I prefer all-wood. I Guess you could ask for a costum blade.

I've seen in older threads that Avalox p700 was often suggested for short/medium pips on one side, while still being good for looping on the other. I guess that was a good compromise. What did people move on to from there after the plasticball? Carbon blades?

They make an all wood version too.
Avalox P700 is a bit old school and rubbish no for short pips and abs balls.
My Xiom Solo is excellent I am just stuggling a bit with the fh side with the koto being a bit bouncy!!

I have just varnished the hell out of my bh side on my tibhar force pro blue with yacht varnish in the hope it makes it feel a bit harder and repulsive for pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
They make an all wood version too.
Avalox P700 is a bit old school and rubbish no for short pips and abs balls.
My Xiom Solo is excellent I am just stuggling a bit with the fh side with the koto being a bit bouncy!!

I have just varnished the hell out of my bh side on my tibhar force pro blue with yacht varnish in the hope it makes it feel a bit harder and repulsive for pips.
Yeah, I thought it would be.

But if the solo had limba on backhand, it would probably not be suitable either right?

Yacht sealant? Hahaha, s*** [emoji23]

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Yeah, I thought it would be.

But if the solo had limba on backhand, it would probably not be suitable either right?

Yacht sealant? Hahaha, s*** [emoji23]

I want the limba on the fh for nice soft dwelly fh!
Koto on bh for mid pip hitting.

I have had two very beautiful blades made by Afro Bro from the forum. But they did not quite work out, a little too fast in the end.

I feel like trying to get another custom blade made!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I want the limba on the fh for nice soft dwelly fh!
Koto on bh for mid pip hitting.

I have had two very beautiful blades made by Afro Bro from the forum. But they did not quite work out, a little too fast in the end.

I feel like trying to get another custom blade made!!
Haha yeah I feel you on that one. I always had problems generating spin with Persson Powerplay (koto outer) and sriver fx rubbers before the poly ball. So I don't want koto on my forehand. Maybe on backhand for less dwell time.
Right now I'm using bt777 with fx-s on both sides. The rubbers lacks grip, so was thinking on trying Fastarc c-1 For forehand at least for more dwell time and a bit harder sponger. It's known for being great on backhand, but maybe Something like Goriki Rapid would be suitable for my style instead, I don't know.
Maybe I could try a P700, but I don't want less dwell time on the forehand. Will meranti in 2nd layer give me less of it compared to bt777?

But yeah maybe I should also try a custom made one day, if I can't find a solution in already existing equipment.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Haha yeah I feel you on that one. I always had problems generating spin with Persson Powerplay (koto outer) and sriver fx rubbers before the poly ball. So I don't want koto on my forehand. Maybe on backhand for less dwell time.
Right now I'm using bt777 with fx-s on both sides. The rubbers lacks grip, so was thinking on trying Fastarc c-1 For forehand at least for more dwell time and a bit harder sponger. It's known for being great on backhand, but maybe Something like Goriki Rapid would be suitable for my style instead, I don't know.
Maybe I could try a P700, but I don't want less dwell time on the forehand. Will meranti in 2nd layer give me less of it compared to bt777?

But yeah maybe I should also try a custom made one day, if I can't find a solution in already existing equipment.

Think you will be disappointed with P700 tbh, not much different to what you have already!

I might have a fextra for sale but it will be a fair bit faster than what you have

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Think you will be disappointed with P700 tbh, not much different to what you have already!

I might have a fextra for sale but it will be a fair bit faster than what you have
Yeah, was thinking that too.
I'm not really Looking for faster. Not on the forehand at least. On backhand it could be ok. Fextra is as thick as Clipper right? Because I don't like how thicker blades feels in my hand. Also a thicker overall setup makes my timing with the ball akward and I have bigger chance of hitting the ball on the edge.
Have been flirting with the Idea of trying a Carbonado 45. But it's a bit expensive just to try out and I don't know any who has one.
So maybe sticking to bt777 and trying a more direct inverted rubber on the backhand could be the solution.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Yeah, was thinking that too.
I'm not really Looking for faster. Not on the forehand at least. On backhand it could be ok. Fextra is as thick as Clipper right? Because I don't like how thicker blades feels in my hand. Also a thicker overall setup makes my timing with the ball akward and I have bigger chance of hitting the ball on the edge.
Have been flirting with the Idea of trying a Carbonado 45. But it's a bit expensive just to try out and I don't know any who has one.
So maybe sticking to bt777 and trying a more direct inverted rubber on the backhand could be the solution.

As a recovering EJ, I say stick to the blade you have and try a slightly different rubber on bh.