When you finally beat the player you never beat!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Does anyone not to care to mention every serve my opponent did in the whole game was shielded and he should have lost every point.
And every serve he gains a massive advantage!!

No you only care about a swear word.

Typical double standards!!

Like all the cheats (the ones who know they serve illegally and do it on purpose) in my local league.
They serve illegally deliberately and they moan and moan when someone gets frustrated and swears (which is also not really acceptable).

So ban all the illegal servers and all the players that swear! Add the loss of players who will not return after the covid pandemic and in the UK there might be about ten players left in a country of 65 million!!

;)

2.6.1 - Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's stationary free hand.

In your first few serves, every single time you roll the ball around on your paddle, catch it while it's still spinning in your palm and then start dropping your hand as you toss the ball. Therefore the ball is neither resting freely nor is your free hand stationary, and you should be banned.

This user has no status.
As much as I love watching a good old mog rant after somone catches bad logic that ain't it chief.
His first six serves are all resting on his palm albiet for a second or two before he starts the serve motion as well as extremely visible. Unless the returned isn't ready due to the bouncing around I can't see an issue with it. It's very visible
Le

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
As much as I love watching a good old mog rant after somone catches bad logic that ain't it chief.
His first six serves are all resting on his palm albiet for a second or two before he starts the serve motion as well as extremely visible. Unless the returned isn't ready due to the bouncing around I can't see an issue with it. It's very visible
Le

It is not severe but neither is the opponent's "shielding" of the ball, based on the few points I watched. His serve doesn't seem obstructed to me at all.

You can clearly see that the transition from the ball rolling around on his paddle, to juggling in his free hand, to the little drop he does before he begins the upward motion of the toss, is all one fluid motion. The ball and his free hand are never simultaneously stationary during the motion hence it is illegal.

If there was an umpire who is as stringent on serve legality as MOG is, that pre-serve motion is definitely getting faulted.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Man, you guys are wild... if you think this is some extreme example of poor sportsmanship or athletics!

Looks very tame coming from where I play. Hell, even on some edges I get I'll raise a hand to get the opponents attention and then say, "hey... and I'm not sorry, bahaha!"

Lighten up!

Unless you're a pro, the rule is you're not good enough to get mad at the game. 8.3.6 page 112.

This user has no status.
This goes to show how much competition pressure vs. relaxed games are different.
The mental game has such a big part in performance.

last year, i experienced several times the pleasure of beating guys i had never beaten before.

But the extra pleasure is that while i always lost to them in the training matches, in our (only) tournament showdown, i came out as the winner.

and to make it more fun, back at training, i keep losing to them again... LOL

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Come on, you guys are taking this so seriously ... MOG pulled off a very nice loop (just listen to the contact sound!!!) and it deserved not just a fist pump but a cho as well, notwithstanding the edge. And he did apologize.

vvk1, have you played the guy MOG is playing in the video?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
2.6.1 - Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's stationary free hand.

In your first few serves, every single time you roll the ball around on your paddle, catch it while it's still spinning in your palm and then start dropping your hand as you toss the ball. Therefore the ball is neither resting freely nor is your free hand stationary, and you should be banned.

Peace brother!!

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
vvk1, have you played the guy MOG is playing in the video?

vvk1 and I have played two or three times.
I have won once and vvk1 has once twice I think or at least once!

vvk1 is a perfect sportsman and gentlemen on and off the table! You could not wish to meet a more pleasant player and such a ferocious competitor. vvk1 has the calmness of an assassin at the table.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

vvk1 is a perfect sportsman and gentlemen on and off the table! You could not wish to meet a more pleasant player and such a ferocious competitor. vvk1 has the calmness of an assassin at the table.

All I am asking is, has he played the guy you are playing.

You are an idiot!! Try watching it properly!!
You are probably from the illegal serves club yourself!!

But I will tell you that, if you don't, fairly quickly, clean up the language in that post, you will get a two week ban for it. If I am telling BB that he gets banned for calling people idiots, you are not allowed to do that either. You are an adult. Try not to behave like a child.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
You are an idiot!! Try watching it properly!!
You are probably from the illegal serves club yourself!!

I may be, but I have watched some of the beginning and some of the end of this video, and on many of the occasions I saw, at all times during your pre-service motion, either the ball or your serving hand (or both) are in motion (from rolling the ball on your racket, to transferring it and juggling it in your left hand, then immediately dropping your hand to prepare for the toss, to the toss). Therefore, those serves are by definition illegal.

Don't shoot the messenger!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Le

Go to 1:11 and play the video in 0.5x or 0.25x speed. Let me know at which point both his free hand and the ball are stationary, as dictated by the rulebook.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

Wow, thank you for the kind words!

This user has no status.
Yep as with all of them. Rolled onto the bat a couple then onto hand. Very brief pause followed by serve motion. Ball is clearly at rest.
Mog serves very cleanly. There is no rule.forbidding movement for 5 or 10 minimum seconds before serve motion just that the ball is at rest.
There is an 80+% chance your serve will be worse and also a 100% chance that in a given right stressful game you will do at least one illigal serve. It's normal to let it slip a little. But leaving your arm out for the whole serve motion without trying to abide by the rules bieng compared to this is a little silly.

Also to mog: you're not a pro and neither is your opponant. If his obviously foul serve is making you loose say so, we are playing for fun not greatness and it's okay to be a little relaxed about the rules. But if it impacts the game call it. I do when I play and umpire. If I think it's affecting the outcome I speak up, if not then I dont, but if you say nothing and complain here he doesn't learn to do it right and you still get annoyed next game. No one will ban him from tournament play with the ittf over this so it's up to you on the day

Reactions: MOG

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
All I am asking is, has he played the guy you are playing.

But I will tell you that, if you don't, fairly quickly, clean up the language in that post, you will get a two week ban for it. If I am telling BB that he gets banned for calling people idiots, you are not allowed to do that either. You are an adult. Try not to behave like a child.

But he is talking rubbish and not telling the truth about me? I would be saying a lot more if he was in the room with me. I will however remove the comment!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Yep as with all of them. Rolled onto the bat a couple then onto hand. Very brief pause followed by serve motion. Ball is clearly at rest.
Mog serves very cleanly. There is no rule.forbidding movement for 5 or 10 minimum seconds before serve motion just that the ball is at rest.
There is an 80+% chance your serve will be worse and also a 100% chance that in a given right stressful game you will do at least one illigal serve. It's normal to let it slip a little. But leaving your arm out for the whole serve motion without trying to abide by the rules bieng compared to this is a little silly.

Also to mog: you're not a pro and neither is your opponant. If his obviously foul serve is making you loose say so, we are playing for fun not greatness and it's okay to be a little relaxed about the rules. But if it impacts the game call it. I do when I play and umpire. If I think it's affecting the outcome I speak up, if not then I dont, but if you say nothing and complain here he doesn't learn to do it right and you still get annoyed next game. No one will ban him from tournament play with the ittf over this so it's up to you on the day

He is actually a good friend of mine, and I have recently started to train with him quite a lot.

There is a lot of bad history to illegal serving in Hereford and me trying to nicely bring it up!

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Carl.

I would ask if you think the legality of my service has improved?

As you and the goon squad absolutely slaughtered me about 6 months ago for dropping my hand below the table!

I think it has significantly!! I am certainly trying to clean up the action!