Wildish errors by players -- so vexing, so abundant.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
As far as football / soccer is concerned why wait for a generally longer period of time for a ball to go in a net, when you can watch TT / Tennis (or in the case of badminton a shuttle) go into a net on a much more regular basis !!!:);)

I was brought up watching sport, if there was any form of sport on the TV when I was a kid, that channel was chosen ( huge choice of 3 channels) !!!

it’s strange really, snooker became really popular overnight when colour tv became available, but what a slow sport!! Generally pretty boring, bowls to, Golf 4 - 5 hrs for a round, but all day event if you watch from 1st tee to last ball putted in, cricket, yawn!! Rugby, ok but !!! and so on.
Darts, that’s got the spectator side of things really sorted out!! Everyone there watching is usually P####d !!! and can get away with almost anything!! And the actual matches are generally fast and exciting, with ‘characters’ participating!!!

Maybe that’s what TT needs, fancy dress, loads of beer for the spectators and shorter 3 point games, but 1st to 11 sets!!
:):rolleyes:
Hahaha yeah maybe that's what's needed [emoji23]
A fat man with a bicycle moustache here and there. Then people could really start taking the sport more seriously [emoji848] or maybe not [emoji28]

No, one important reason to why tabletennis could be lacking popularity is the understanding of how the sport work. I think a lot of hobbiest (someone who has never learned the basics of tt) gets discouraged quite quickly when playing against someone who HAS learned the basics. They often don't understand what's going on with the ball. How to return the spin, tactics and all that. And some people don't even see tt as a sport. Ironically it was originally an after-dinner game, so was never intented to be taken srsly in it's original state :)

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Two color ball would be for the audience not the players. Now the audience that do not know table tennis think the player is just bad because they do no understand spin. With a two color ball they would see the spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I ask myself if all those changes made any difference for the TT popularity. I’m not against to try new things but if something didn’t work as it should, why not go back?

I would love to know if someone has any official data about how all those changes impacted the sport in all kinds of way.
I would like to see what happened if we went back to 38 mm celluloid and instead of speedglue then allowed approved boosters. What equipment would people change to? Would most pros play with all-wood again? Or are equipment rule changes not the only reason why pros goes to faster setups as time progresses. Maybe their aggressive game just gets better and better over time for each generation. Because I mean, the pros do practice a s***-lot, and when you practice a lot on something, you obviously get better at it at some point. So your standard will also be raised with time. And the new generations will also have new standards to aspire to.
No amount of rule change of equipment will stop the natural course of evolution.

Another thing that I've been thinking about is the future of plastic. If we look at what direction the world is going in, in order to try and safe our environment. Plastic will most likely not be banned as material anytime soon. But one day the production of new plastic materials might come to an end. And companies will most likely be allowed to only reuse the plastic that are already out there, and there's A LOT. Enough for centuries usage before it becomes unusable, I think (anyone knows?).
But the re-used plastic materials also have to be fitting for tt-balls. So when will we have to change to a new plastic-like material?
Also synthetic rubbers and sponges. Will we have to go all natural rubber or will that be bad for the environment in terms of rubber-trees? Would we have to find an alternative method that is less harming for factory workers and environment?
What about the wood in blades? Will there come some new rules in future that all tt-blades has to be made of a certain percentage of wood and a certain percentage of other non-plastic based materials in order to safe deforrestations and safe our climate?

It's very very interesting to see what would actually happen. But one thing's for sure, changes to tt are not gonna end :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Nothing ever ends ;)
That's true. There's no actual thing as beginning and ending. It's just all transitions. You can't go down in the smallest and pinpoint exactly when something starts and ends. There's no such thing as smallest and largest. Science will figure that out one day ;)
So yes it's all one big change happening at once.
Funny thing about tt is the dynamic back and foward between a spinning ball. To me that's a clear symbol of change. The spiral have been a symbol of that for a long long time. Spinning ball = spiral. Something going back and foward is the only way to move foward. It's the nature of evolution. The friction between contrasts and its outcome. I've learned this through my whole life.
First when I did judo practice as a kid, I learned that when my opponent is on top and having me in a lock and he is too heavy for me to turn around, I had to use the opponents weight moving back and foward to create friction (energy in motion) to turn the opponent over.
When I sailed as a kid my boat got stuck once and I was told that to get out, I had turn the stick (what's it called in English?) Back and foward to get out.
When I got older and got my finger stuck in a glass bottle, the only way to get it out was to move it side to side to create friction and moist to get it out.
And when I became a grown-up I learned that friction between contrasts is the nature of our whole existence. It's how changes happens. You can't have positive without having negative.

So yes as with any sport, tt will experience changes through its existence. But one sport more than any (probably. I don't know [emoji28]) it's more directly related to change. And I imagine that it has always been and will always be :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango K