My Journey to reach the National Table Tennis Olympic Team! Join Me

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Adding onto your post, from what I hear, the ages of 14-18 is the time-frame in which those said provincial players generally have to make it to the national team (B) team. After that, chances become bleak. It can still happen I believe by placing in the top 8 at the National Games or National Championships but generally if you haven't made it to the B team by around age 18-20, you're done.
Yes, that's roughly how the CTTA categorizes the ladder. And for those who missed Zhang Yudong's reaction after placing in the top 8 at the national championships.

http://www.ctta.cn/syzl/zcfgzq/2016/0802/110819.html
  2、培养渠道和培养模式

我国乒乓球项目的后备人才的培养渠道主要有:第一层次为全国各省、自治区、市的地区业余体校和全国乒乓球后备人才基地以及一些俱乐部的业余运动队和半专业的运动队,运动员的年龄多为8-10岁左右;第二层次为省、市,俱乐部以及乒校优秀运动队的二、三线队伍,年龄多为10-13岁;第三个层次为省、市,俱乐部以及乒校优秀运动队的一、二线队伍中的年轻运动员,以及国家集训队中的二线运动员,年龄多在13-17岁。
2. Training channels and training models

The main channels for training reserve talents for table tennis in China are: the first level is the regional amateur sports schools of all provinces, autonomous regions, and cities across the country, the national table tennis reserve talent base, and the amateur sports teams and semi-professional sports teams of some clubs, where most of those athletes are around 8-10 years old; the second level is the second- and third-tier teams of the provinces, cities, clubs and table tennis schools, mostly 10-13 years old; the third level are those young athletes in the first- and second-tier teams of the provinces, cities, clubs and table tennis schools, as well as the second-tier players in the national training team, mostly 13-17 years old.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yes, that's roughly how the CTTA categorizes the ladder. And for those who missed Zhang Yudong's reaction after placing in the top 8 at the national championships.

http://www.ctta.cn/syzl/zcfgzq/2016/0802/110819.html

That's interesting. So now, he basically gets an honorary spot on the B team and gets a little to prove himself before the spot gets replaced? I can't imagine that someone who just catches a flash in the pan would necessarily become a priority all of a sudden. Sun Wen came in like this too IIRC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Sounds like the slogan below.

China: Get your map right first.
cache.php

Well if you really want to boycott china dont buy any hurricanes or any other dhs, chinese equipment that makes tt cheaper.

Jan 2018
That's interesting. So now, he basically gets an honorary spot on the B team and gets a little to prove himself before the spot gets replaced? I can't imagine that someone who just catches a flash in the pan would necessarily become a priority all of a sudden. Sun Wen came in like this too IIRC.

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. Making the B team could very well mean the beginning of the end.

There are 2 humongous 40-day closed-door national training camps every year, once in the summer and once in the winter, where the promising provincial players from all around the country get the chance to train with the national B-team members and hopefully catch the attention of the national team coaches.

At the end of it is a round-robin tournament among the bottom 8 national B-team members and the top 8 provincial players, where the top 4 finishing provincial players get promoted to the national B-team and the bottom 4 finishing national B-team members get sent back to their respective provincial teams.

The last segment of episode 2 of the "Table Tennis in China" series follows the one in summer 2013. See how many CNT players you can spot.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
In my opinion, the goal is too high to be easily demotivated, sorry.

I remember the time I started playing this sport again 3 years ago. At the first training, two girls were training like beast. I said myself that I was going to play like that in a year. I got a national level coach for a year, 3 times a week. After a year I was no where near my goal. Those girls were Super League players :) but I improved faster than other friends.

I remember the time I asked my coach if I could be a professional player :) He said if I quit my job, work hard full time, have enough coaching, and play lots of tournaments I could be pro in 6-7 years.

Then I realized that I could never be a professional player.

According to my TTR score graph and others that have improved already, I have more realistic goals right now.

If you spend your 10000(!) hours very very efficiently and wisely, you will reach a quite high level.

Enjoy the process.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L09 mit Tapatalk

I dont think I will get demotivated as I have passion for this sport. It if doesn't work out I think I will be pretty good fitnesswise atleast and I might even reach the state level which is itself a big deal but I tend to always aim high, its in my blood.

I have played against seven different US team members who played at the WTTC, possible because six of them have lived in my city. One of these guys also played at the Olympics. I was coached by three of them. Then there are a handful of former Chinese provincial team people I played with. Also once with Wang Hao -- not the great penholder, rather the older Chinese defender. Some of you will remember him. In my young years I played Danny Seemiller a couple, of times when he was first emerging as the top US player. Seeing how good these guys are quickly smashed any possible ideas that I would ever reach their level (I never believed I could, but seeing firsthand verified it). If you need more evidence, watch any of the videos where Dan plays international players and they pretty much toy with him. There is a massive gulf between good amateur players and pro players. And the top players in India these days are really good.

Practice hard, improve. But don't quit your day job. Somebody above wrote "anything is possible". Sadly, some things aren't.

Yes noone is quitting their day job :) Just competing with myself here and looking to improve to whatever level possible!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Update 1 : (Will update once a week atleast so the progress is visible enough)

This is my day 3 of training. I am spending around 30 to 40 mins per day on fitness followed by shadow practice, multiball and 10 to 15 mins of stretching.

This is what was done today and here are the 4th Nov highlights of the multiball training.

Early Morning Shadow Practice by myself:

30 freehand squats
109 - Forehand counter
61 - backhand counter
28 - forehand and backhand drill with movement

Afternoon Training session with coach:

Running - 5 mins
Jumping Jacks - 30(2 sets)
Squats - 15 reps with 3 KG ball(2 sets)
Side running - 10 rounds - 2 sets (To and Fro movement makes 1 round)

Shadow practice

60 forehand
48 backhand
50 forehand counter
50 FH , BH
45 forehand topspin
35 forehand topspin 2 position

and then the following multiball training

Things I need to improve on:

- STAMINA! As you can see my shots suffer after a while because of stamina. My coach is working hard to improve my stamina and I am confident this should improve much more. Day 1 was even worse when it came to stamina and now I am seeing some improvements already
- My footwork - I tend to jump a lot rather than playing around with my ankles(which is the right way isnt it) which is hurting my speed

- Not bending enough - I noticed I tend to not bend forward enough which hurts my balance while executing topspin. Need to work on that. I believe that should be resolves with the help of good stamina.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Well if you really want to boycott china dont buy any hurricanes or any other dhs, chinese equipment that makes tt cheaper.

China has Gnanasekaran by the "balls", so to speak. :rolleyes:

https://indianexpress.com/article/b...-boycott-sports-market-chinese-goods-6470214/
Table tennis star Sathiyan Gnanasekaran says India is self-reliant when it comes to racquets and tables, but “China manufactures balls almost like a monopoly”.

china-sports.jpg

Shanghai Double Happiness (DHS), he says, supplies balls for all world tour events, apart from World and Asian Championships. “All Indian players practise with the same set of balls to get used to the spin and bounce. At other levels, you see balls with different brand names. But even if you buy a set from Stiga (Sweden) or Stag (India), you will find that it is manufactured in China,” says Gnanasekaran.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

This is my day 3 of training. I am spending around 30 to 40 mins per day on fitness followed by shadow practice, multiball and 10 to 15 mins of stretching.

This is what was done today and here are the 4th Nov highlights of the multiball training.

30 freehand squats
109 - Forehand counter
61 - backhand counter

Running - 5 mins

Shadow practice

60 forehand
48 backhand
50 forehand counter
50 FH , BH
45 forehand topspin

- STAMINA! As you can see my shots suffer after a while because of stamina. My coach is working hard to improve my stamina and I am confident this should improve much more. Day 1 was even worse when it came to stamina and now I am seeing some improvements already
- My footwork - I tend to jump a lot rather than playing around with my ankles(which is the right way isnt it) which is hurting my speed

- Not bending enough - I noticed I tend to not bend forward enough which hurts my balance while executing topspin. Need to work on that. I believe that should be resolves with the help of good stamina.

nice to see how you're motivated. But to say it frankly, when u made reference to your previous level, i was expecting to see someone much much stronger on the video... Frankly, without being pretentious, i think i hit the ball better than you, and so do many others here in this forum, and some of us (including myself) train much more than 1.5 hours a day, and i've been also receiving for years 1:1 coaching once or twice a week for 7 years now...

Yep, i'm aiming for the highest level possible and i have dreams as well, but getting into the national isn't one... if i win some local tournaments in my age category and if our team goes top of our local league, i think that would already be great already and I can retire happy !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Well. This is just day 3.
Don’t worry. Week 3 it’ll be miles different. :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Yup, that's pretty much how it works. Making the B team could very well mean the beginning of the end.

There are 2 humongous 40-day closed-door national training camps every year, once in the summer and once in the winter, where the promising provincial players from all around the country get the chance to train with the national B-team members and hopefully catch the attention of the national team coaches.

At the end of it is a round-robin tournament among the bottom 8 national B-team members and the top 8 provincial players, where the top 4 finishing provincial players get promoted to the national B-team and the bottom 4 finishing national B-team members get sent back to their respective provincial teams.

The last segment of episode 2 of the "Table Tennis in China" series follows the one in summer 2013. See how many CNT players you can spot.

And I believe the provincial players who don't make it through in that tournament don't often get a second chance. Real dog eat dog world out there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Alright guys, I wont be updating until I reach a certain respected level because it seems like many are just fixated on my lofty goal rather than the journey of just coming back into the game after 15 years. I will update once I win some local tournaments and then post some videos of before after and then you're free to judge. I am contiuing to train 6 days a week 3 hours a day for few months before I can also train during 2nd session with other players.

Cheers!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
many are just fixated on my lofty goal rather than the journey of just coming back into the game after 15 years.
Sorry, but the title of your post clearly says about your aspiration, which is "reach the National Table Tennis Olympic Team". So, it's NOT about you just coming back into the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Amit Mehta is right, you want to join the national team.

So of course everyone is going for it, bacause that is your goal.

Can you play topspin? Against underspin?
What about your servers?

And i think for playing national is equipment a part too.
Know one plays on national level with a soft rubber.

Did you think about that too?

Maybe you should change the thread to something more real like playing 50/50 in my league.
Sorry to say that but i dont see you going very high at the moment.

If you upload in 3 weeks a video with a lot of progress i apologize but i dont see it.

Reactions: iamback
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
I think OP will see himself and his future better after completing a league/tournament season. Then he can estimate his progress better.

We see it now as Harimoto-Level-Hard. A very few people can success in such a short time.

If OP persists with high discipline and motivation, he can reach that level soon or later. But being in that team depends on coach.

I saw this exceptional kid (you can read the article with Google Translate); https://www.bttv.de/news/data/2017/07/28/13-jaehriger-sammelt-862-ttr-punkte-in-21-monaten/

Now his TTR is 1941. He is 1236th in Germany. In 5 years at a good club, from zero.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L09 mit Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020

30 freehand squats
109 - Forehand counter
61 - backhand counter

Running - 5 mins

Shadow practice

60 forehand
48 backhand
50 forehand counter
50 FH , BH
45 forehand topspin

cant watch the video its private

Reactions: Player Tim