Correct way to return a long under/side spinning serve

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Is it to try to topspin it? I can return a short ball just fine by just pushing it, but those spinning serves that lands deep are giving me problems when I try to push/block it

thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Watch pro games like Vladimir Samsonov's games with your favorite players and see how they handle Samsonov's serves which are frequently side under spins.

Last edited:
Reactions: tt_beginner
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
If you are a beginner then it’s very easy to understand. (Pardon me if I’m wrong but I just infer from your nick name) Most beginners cant serve heavy spin short since they haven’t trained to contact thin enough. So the difference is mostly in the amount of spin. The longer one just has more. You just gotta learn how to read the amount of spin on the ball.

For the side spin, contact on the side of the ball.

You need to be able to push it back first, or better, simply touch it first, before attacking it. Since it trains your feeling (of the spin, the trajectory, the contact point etc.).

It’ll take much longer time than you think. So be patient with your progress.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
thanks for advices, this is the first time I've encountered a long serve that has both side spin and underspin

time to practice reading serves then lol

I'm guessing if you can put overpower the spin on the serve it would be ok?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
If it’s not fast and you still cant push it back then the chance you can successfully overspin it easily is very low. Because you are not reading it very well. (You watch the tv and also people always tell you to attack any long balls. But you need to get your skills to a certain degree to do that. Not very much, but not beginner.).

If it’s a very fast serve then the back-spin will be relatively weak. The main challenge is in the contact point (the ball trajectory) as the back-spin could trick you a little, especially when the ball is fast.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
When you become better you can do this. Difficult in the beginning since you need good acceleration. Easier with more open angle and come more down and up. If you have good acceleration and do this the ball will just go out and up so i think majority of really good players close the angle and brush forward since they have so fast racket speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
Check these out -
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=769LF2WHSoI
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTreWPkuAv0

Revert if you have any further questions.
When you become better you can do this. Difficult in the beginning since you need good acceleration. Easier with more open angle and come more down and up. If you have good acceleration and do this the ball will just go out and up so i think majority of really good players close the angle and brush forward since they have so fast racket speed.
thanks, this is very useful, time to practice more [emoji3]