How do rubbers/sponges lose their life

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Hello all

We may be able to play table tennis soon in my city. After months of no playing at all, I’m just wondering if I need to glue fresh rubbers or not.

I glued fresh Z1 amd Baracuda only 2 weeks before lockdown. It has now been 4-5 months, but they were really only played for two weeks.

How much life would the rubbers lost? Without being played

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If the rubbers were ESN rubbers which are usually pretuned before packaged at the factory, the boost effect will be long gone. The rubbers should be pretty fine though.

Rubber does oxygenate and that is where it loses some elasticity and some grip. That that should not be too noticeable. They just may not feel fresh out of the box.

I am not sure how much boost effect Baracuda has out of the package. But Z1 may have a more noticeable difference. Not really sure though. And, as said by Lodro, it is hard to say until you try them. And you can always reboost.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
If the rubbers were ESN rubbers which are usually pretuned before packaged at the factory, the boost effect will be long gone. The rubbers should be pretty fine though.

Rubber does oxygenate and that is where it loses some elasticity and some grip. That that should not be too noticeable. They just may not feel fresh out of the box.

I am not sure how much boost effect Baracuda has out of the package. But Z1 may have a more noticeable difference. Not really sure though. And, as said by Lodro, it is hard to say until you try them. And you can always reboost.

Does this then mean that Pre -boosted rubbers will loose their boost regardless of how one stores the blades, (or indeed the rubbers) ? Kinda like ""Use it or loose it """ ????

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Does this then mean that Pre -boosted rubbers will loose their boost regardless of how one stores the blades, (or indeed the rubbers) ? Kinda like ""Use it or loose it """ ????

If you vacuum seal the blade and rubbers, some of the boost effect will stay until you open the vacuum seal. But the thing about boosters: over time, they evaporate. That is part of why they work to make the sponge perform better. It is also why the highly flammable VOCs in speed glue, which have been banned, work so well but only work for a very short time.

Like, in the speed glue days, people would reglue every time they played. And the speed glue effect will last up to about 12 hours. But not much longer. But the effect of speed glue is so much stronger than the effect from booster oils. If you put speed glue on Sriver, it would feel freaking good till the speed glue effect dissipated.

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I played for an hour this morning.

To be honest, I cannot compare them to when they were fresh. It has been too long since I played. Unless I have another bat with fresh sheets to compare to side by side.

If anything, they felt pretty okay? maybe not as springy as they once were?:confused:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
If you vacuum seal the blade and rubbers, some of the boost effect will stay until you open the vacuum seal. But the thing about boosters: over time, they evaporate. That is part of why they work to make the sponge perform better. It is also why the highly flammable VOCs in speed glue, which have been banned, work so well but only work for a very short time.

Like, in the speed glue days, people would reglue every time they played. And the speed glue effect will last up to about 12 hours. But not much longer. But the effect of speed glue is so much stronger than the effect from booster oils. If you put speed glue on Sriver, it would feel freaking good till the speed glue effect dissipated.

thanks for that Carl

Does that mean even if a rubber just sits inside its packaging, its bound to lose some of its performance over time?
Cause I just realise there is a fresh sheet of Fastarc G-1 sitting in the drawer for at least 12-15 months.
Ther are a couple of holes on the plactic packaging, so its in no way vacuum sealed.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
thanks for that Carl

Does that mean even if a rubber just sits inside its packaging, its bound to lose some of its performance over time?
Cause I just realise there is a fresh sheet of Fastarc G-1 sitting in the drawer for at least 12-15 months.
Ther are a couple of holes on the plactic packaging, so its in no way vacuum sealed.

Yep.

So, I will give you a brief story. One time, I got a set of Tenergy (T05 on FH and T05fx on BH) from a friend who was sponsored. I knew he ordered them from Butterfly and they were shipped to him from Japan. A training partner had a set of the same rubbers sitting at home and he was waiting to put them on. My rubbers arrived and I put them on right after I got them. My training partner decided he would put his on when I told him I was putting my new set of rubbers on.

He wanted to feel my racket with the new rubbers since, all of a sudden we had the same rubbers on our respective rackets. He wanted to feel how my blade felt in comparison to his.

Well, when I tried his racket while he was testing mine, all I could think of was, his rubbers felt lifeless. Now, if I had not had the comparison of the rubbers on my racket, I would have thought his rubbers felt pretty good. But my rubbers felt sooooooooo much better, so much more alive, the difference was pretty stark.

If someone had told me I got the pro model and my friend got the commercial model, I would have believed them. But that would not have been true. What I think had happened, was, my rubbers came straight from Japan and the factory, and my friend's rubbers had been sitting on a shelf at location of the online vendor he got them for for months, before he ordered them. And then, he left them on his shelf for months. And so, they just were not quite as alive as a result of sitting on a shelf for however long they had been sitting on a shelf.

And Tenergy does not really have the kind of performance degradation that an ESN rubber usually has. Like, with most ESN rubbers, which come "pre-tuned", after approximately 3 weeks of play, the performance level drops off dramatically. Why don't those rubbers come in a vacuum sealed package? I have no idea. But, clearly they don't.

I like MXP. I actually like MXP better after the tuning effect has worn off. It plays nicely without the tuning effect. One time I bought 2 sheets of MXP and 2 Sheets of FXP (MXP FH, FXP BH). I used the first set and left the second set for when I was done with the first. I have no question that when I put the second set of Evolution rubbers on my blade, there was no longer any hint of a pre-tuning effect on the rubbers.

Does it matter? If you don't realize it is not there, I would not worry about it. The rubbers will still play okay. But that is just the way it is. And this is also why I just don't understand people buying used rubbers that have already been cut and used.

One last detail. If you have ever had a rubber-band this should help you understand the process of how the actual rubber molecules break down over time.

If you had a rubber-band sitting on a shelf for a year, it would work fine. Maybe not as elastic as when it was first made. But it would still do its job. But if you have ever left a rubber band stretched around something for years and years and come upon the rubber band, having broken, or, left a rubber band on a shelf for years and then went to stretch it and it did not really stretch anymore but snapped instead, that is the result of the rubber molecules oxidizing. Over time, when they oxidize, the rubber loses its elasticity.

So, with a 5 year old rubber, it will be more noticeable than with a 1 or 2 year old rubber. You can still play with the 5 year old rubber. A 10 year old rubber, you probably won't want to play with that.

But some people just won't notice these things and will still play with them. But, given enough time, most rubbers will eventually resemble anti-spin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Yep.

So, I will give you a brief story. One time, I got a set of Tenergy (T05 on FH and T05fx on BH) from a friend who was sponsored. I knew he ordered them from Butterfly and they were shipped to him from Japan. A training partner had a set of the same rubbers sitting at home and he was waiting to put them on. My rubbers arrived and I put them on right after I got them. My training partner decided he would put his on when I told him I was putting my new set of rubbers on.

He wanted to feel my racket with the new rubbers since, all of a sudden we had the same rubbers on our respective rackets. He wanted to feel how my blade felt in comparison to his.

Well, when I tried his racket while he was testing mine, all I could think of was, his rubbers felt lifeless. Now, if I had not had the comparison of the rubbers on my racket, I would have thought his rubbers felt pretty good. But my rubbers felt sooooooooo much better, so much more alive, the difference was pretty stark.

If someone had told me I got the pro model and my friend got the commercial model, I would have believed them. But that would not have been true. What I think had happened, was, my rubbers came straight from Japan and the factory, and my friend's rubbers had been sitting on a shelf at location of the online vendor he got them for for months, before he ordered them. And then, he left them on his shelf for months. And so, they just were not quite as alive as a result of sitting on a shelf for however long they had been sitting on a shelf.

And Tenergy does not really have the kind of performance degradation that an ESN rubber usually has. Like, with most ESN rubbers, which come "pre-tuned", after approximately 3 weeks of play, the performance level drops off dramatically. Why don't those rubbers come in a vacuum sealed package? I have no idea. But, clearly they don't.

I like MXP. I actually like MXP better after the tuning effect has worn off. It plays nicely without the tuning effect. One time I bought 2 sheets of MXP and 2 Sheets of FXP (MXP FH, FXP BH). I used the first set and left the second set for when I was done with the first. I have no question that when I put the second set of Evolution rubbers on my blade, there was no longer any hint of a pre-tuning effect on the rubbers.

Does it matter? If you don't realize it is not there, I would not worry about it. The rubbers will still play okay. But that is just the way it is. And this is also why I just don't understand people buying used rubbers that have already been cut and used.

One last detail. If you have ever had a rubber-band this should help you understand the process of how the actual rubber molecules break down over time.

If you had a rubber-band sitting on a shelf for a year, it would work fine. Maybe not as elastic as when it was first made. But it would still do its job. But if you have ever left a rubber band stretched around something for years and years and come upon the rubber band, having broken, or, left a rubber band on a shelf for years and then went to stretch it and it did not really stretch anymore but snapped instead, that is the result of the rubber molecules oxidizing. Over time, when they oxidize, the rubber loses its elasticity.

So, with a 5 year old rubber, it will be more noticeable than with a 1 or 2 year old rubber. You can still play with the 5 year old rubber. A 10 year old rubber, you probably won't want to play with that.

But some people just won't notice these things and will still play with them. But, given enough time, most rubbers will eventually resemble anti-spin.

thanks for that Carl, it makes a lot of sense

it actually reminds me of my partner's mini bat

its a toy sized bat with some used rubbersd on it

one is EL-S, one was Vega Asia

after 3 years, the Vega Asia is still actaully grippy on the top sheet, whereas the EL-S is smooth as an anti spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have the paddle I played with when I was in college 45+ years ago. The rubber is hard now. The top sheet is more like a frictionless anti. BTW, it is an old Butterfly Cypess X with Soft D13 on both sides.
The top sheet and sponge oxidize.
I can see where vacuum sealing a blade would delay or stop oxidation. I don't see where sealing will keep speed glue or any booster from evaporating. Evaporation will occur faster in a vacuum.
I really doubt the manufacturers boost rubbers that are sold commercially. Boosting only lasts for a few hours while the chemicals are evaporating in the sponge.
Nothing lasts forever.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I have the paddle I played with when I was in college 45+ years ago. The rubber is hard now. The top sheet is more like a frictionless anti. BTW, it is an old Butterfly Cypess X with Soft D13 on both sides.
I can see where vacuum sealing a blade would delay or stop oxidation. I don't see where sealing will keep speed glue or any booster from evaporating. Evaporation will occur faster in a vacuum.
I really doubt the manufacturers boost rubbers that are sold commercially. Boosting only lasts for a few hours while the chemicals are evaporating in the sponge.
Nothing lasts forever.

That is not true : Love lasts forever ;)

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Nothing lasts forever.

2BB1A9D7-B090-4B37-BDF5-C58B4D9F75B1.jpgF2772DB6-A56B-472F-974F-843B2E1D5EB8.jpg
Hi BB !!

above is XIOM Omega IV Europe, straight out of the sealed pack yesterday evening, looks like it’s been boosted or ‘factory tuned’ feels like it to!!!
Totally agree that the effect wears off reasonably quickly, depending how ‘fresh’ the sheet is from the manufacturers!! Could be 2 or 3 months, could be 2 or 3 weeks, etc hard to tell, especially if the change in performance is gradual, so it’s hard to notice!!!

Butterfly may be different (well sort of!!) hearing that Butterfly are ‘tuning’ rubbers and releasing only to the Japanese market or Pro players. This needs to be confirmed though, I could be wrong.
Chinese manufacturers all all tuning/boosting sponges in the factory for some (not all) of their products.
Manufacturers may also be treating the top sheets ??? MAY BE, ‘factory tuning’ is allowed by ITTF ‘personal’ boosting isn’t !!!!!! I’m not sure whether ‘tuning’ relates to sponge only, or if the top sheet is included??

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Modern boosters used by the factory tend to not evaporate that quickly. A trick is to store your blade in a plastic freezer bag. But many of us have not played in a really long time. So frankly, any rubber would do for me. It's going to be quite some time before I will be playing given conditions where I live.

Reactions: IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Modern boosters used by the factory tend to not evaporate that quickly. A trick is to store your blade in a plastic freezer bag. But many of us have not played in a really long time. So frankly, any rubber would do for me. It's going to be quite some time before I will be playing given conditions where I live.

Yeah feeling it regarding not being able to play. We have been lucky in the UK, been able to play for a couple of months.

All change from midnight tonight, LOCKDOWN V2 starting for a month :(:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Yeah feeling it regarding not being able to play. We have been lucky in the UK, been able to play for a couple of months.

All change from midnight tonight, LOCKDOWN V2 starting for a month :(:(

I bet you ordered the ESNs before last Saturday! Bit of misfortune

Status
Not open for further replies.