How do rubbers/sponges lose their life

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Modern boosters used by the factory tend to not evaporate that quickly. A trick is to store your blade in a plastic freezer bag. But many of us have not played in a really long time. So frankly, any rubber would do for me. It's going to be quite some time before I will be playing given conditions where I live.
A volatile compound with larger molecules will dissipate slower.
Storing in a freezer bag may slow down the reaction but a vacuum will not help because that will make volatile compounds evaporate faster. It is the air/gas pockets in the sponge that make the sponge springy. That is why we put air in the tires and balls and not sponge or foam.

There was a TT device I have seen for sale where you put the paddle in side a case and pump it up. It would have been a good idea but the air in the sponge bubbles leaks out so fast.

I was at a place in Manchester MI that made 1 and 2 liter plastic bottles. They were tested by filling a few with hydrogen gas then the pressure was monitored over days or weeks. Hydrogen gas is a small molecule that can diffused through plastic much easier than the larger CO2 molecules that are used in soft drinks.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes, the freezer bag slows down loss of booster but doesn't end it. Diffusion into a small volume vs diffusion into an infinite volume.

Actually the thing I always disliked about MXP was the gradual loss of the factory booster. Its not a huge effect over say a month but noticeable. I prefer predictable equipment.

I can't agree at all with all written about the ESN "boosting" and I have argued here about that for years.
I don't know where from you buy your Xiom tensors, but I've never seen a rubber doomed like the picture in the thread. And Carl, you say that the boost effect flies away in a couple of weeks, but their is no way you could touch a Xiom rubber in less than 2 months after production. Think about that. I do always make my best to quarantee a fresh delivery for me, we are a small country, but we have good personal contact with the supplier and we always do care about quality and time of delivery.

To brokenball - sir, you are very well acquainted with the "tensor" matter and you have been in that discussion for many years, but still you speak nonsense.

About the "so called ESN boosting" - its not the kind of boosting like the usual boosting of chinese rubbers.
It's an integration of organic substances between the rubber molecules, not in the bubbles.
Different tensor families and different tensor generation use different organic substances in order to achieve different playing characteristics. These effect is much more constant and durable than the usual boosting. It can not go away for 6 months of shelf time. It goes away with playing, but not earlier than the very sponge lifespan as it breaks depending on the use intensity.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
To brokenball - sir, you are very well acquainted with the "tensor" matter and you have been in that discussion for many years, but still you speak nonsense.
What specifically doesn't make sense? This is yet another vague attack.

About the "so called ESN boosting" - its not the kind of boosting like the usual boosting of chinese rubbers.
It's an integration of organic substances between the rubber molecules, not in the bubbles.
What does this integration of organic substances do?
I would like to see a reference.

Different tensor families and different tensor generation use different organic substances in order to achieve different playing characteristics.
blah, blah, blah, go on.

These effect is much more constant and durable than the usual boosting. It can not go away for 6 months of shelf time. It goes away with playing, but not earlier than the very sponge lifespan as it breaks depending on the use intensity.
You are describing rubbers getting old. We know that.

Explain what the "boosting" does!
What you describe is just the process of making a sponge with different characteristics.
Explain why we don't use boosted sponges in our tires instead of air!

When air is compressed and immediately let to expand there is very little energy lost to heat.
Can the same be said for the "boosted" sponge?
Inquiring minds want to know.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
I can't agree at all with all written about the ESN "boosting" and I have argued here about that for years.
I don't know where from you buy your Xiom tensors, but I've never seen a rubber doomed like the picture in the thread. And Carl, you say that the boost effect flies away in a couple of weeks, but their is no way you could touch a Xiom rubber in less than 2 months after production. Think about that. I do always make my best to quarantee a fresh delivery for me, we are a small country, but we have good personal contact with the supplier and we always do care about quality and time of delivery.

Different tensor families and different tensor generation use different organic substances in order to achieve different playing characteristics. These effect is much more constant and durable than the usual boosting. It can not go away for 6 months of shelf time. It goes away with playing, but not earlier than the very sponge lifespan as it breaks depending on the use intensity.

Hi

rubbers were from TT11

the Xiom Omega Europe was ‘floppy’ as well, which is something I noticed when boosting other rubbers
the Hexer Duro wasn’t floppy

As for the ‘organic substances between the rubber molecules’ way over my head, but ‘ORGANIC’ is rubber isn’t it.??? Synthetic isn’t.
other thoughts of a modern meaning of ‘Organic’ with regard to the environment, screams as ‘Natural breakdown and decomposition.’ !!!!
Organic rubber, does decompose / oxidise becomes very brittle but over a fairly long time, a gradual process.

being skeptical would the ‘Organic substances between the rubber molecules’ have a short term positive effect but an enhanced negative effect causing the rubber to degrade quicker, lose those ‘positive’ Attributes and therefore result in more sales???

Attachments

• BEC74180-47CD-4C83-A30F-E7E9DDA1E75B.jpg
    BEC74180-47CD-4C83-A30F-E7E9DDA1E75B.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 184
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I am still waiting for langel to explain what nonsense I speak.
I am still waiting for langel to explain why sports shoes have air in their soles instead of sponge/foam.
To many just spout opinions without facts. The problem is that most people can't tell the difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I have a spare racket with T05, probably 2 - 3 years old. Originally the rubbers were just a few weeks old, but I managed to make a big tear in the corner of the rubber, which I glued back again and kept the racket for serve and feeling practice at home :) It served me well and I used the black side almost exclusively, letting the red one being unused. However, I noticed that the red side went almost completely blank/smooth. No discoloration, but moving a ball over the surface indicates 0 friction, just like antispin! Cleaning it did not help. The black side still has an ok grip. This racket has been just laying around on a table, rarely stored in a case/wallet as I usually do. No direct sunlight though.

Strange stuff, I got some Mark V rubbers that are probably 10 years old with decent friction left. Not so sure about the rock hard sponge though ;) A few rackets with chinese rubbers that also kept a decent grip, despite being a few years old.

I guess some rubbers just deteriorate faster than others. I wonder what the expected shelf life of a rubber is. I have not experienced this issue with T05 before, but obviously I usually change my rubbers more than often enough when playing actively.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Yup, since hard-headed engineer is too intellectual to understand COR, but not Effective COR, since he doesn't believe COR and mass are interdependent.

Either way, player experience would've settled this. Player experience, which is too much to ask for here. Enough time wasted. Have a nice day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Yup, since hard-headed engineer is too intellectual to understand COR, but not Effective COR, since he doesn't believe COR and mass are interdependent.
This is an outright lie. I have posted links to this many time. Go to the speed after impact
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution
Everyone can see the speed after impact formula uses the mass of the ball and paddle.
Now everyone can see that zeio lies. BTW, on mytt zeio calculated a speed after impact where the ball was going slower than the paddle because he used the conservation of momentum and not the COR. The speed after impact formula combines two formulas. The formula for COR and conservation of momentum.

Either way, player experience would've settled this. Player experience, which is too much to ask for here. Enough time wasted. Have a nice day.
Experience players are not calibrated machines. Given all the different opinions on what is faster or what has higher "throw" I don't have much faith in anything that can't be measured. Most people don't care how or why TT rubbers are springy they just play but if you are going to make false claims, I will correct you.

I still want to know what langel fills his tires with.
In hydraulics there are accumulators that store oil under pressure ( energy ). The bladders are filled with nitrogen
not TT sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I am still waiting for langel to tell me what nonsense I speak.
I still want to know what langel fills his tires with.
What does langel fill his football with?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed-air_energy_storage
Look under the section called adiabatic.
Since TT impacts are very short there is no time for any heat to be lost. Notice what is said about efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.