A new blade for Dimitri Ovtcharov?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
In Dan's video (at 0:33s here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnoNipHJQXo) he says that Dimitri is using an "Innerforce Layer ALC style" blade. I assume that means he's using his old Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso with a Butterfly handle until Butterfly can make a new blade for him? In other words, a copy of the Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso (which, when it comes out, will obviously cost €1million!).

Has anybody here played with both of them (ie. the Butterfly Innerforce Layer ALC and the Donic Ovtcharov No 1 Senso) and able to comment on how they're different? I would've thought they're very similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vishal
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have experience with Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon (DWSUC). This blade is a inner carbon blade with limba top layers. I am writing this comment so as to share a common understanding of 'Senso' technology which Donic puts and markets in their senso line up of blades.
Senso blades come in two variants - V1 and V2. V1 => More speed and V2 => more control. But for Donic Ovt. Senso No.1 it is not clear which version (V1 or V2) it does belong to. Further, due to hollow handle you will feel that the weight of the blade tends to be more towards the head of the blade. When you put rubbers this feeling of the overall weight transitioning towards the head becomes more evident.
From the ball feel perspective, hollow handle increases the vibration on your palm. If you get used to this enhanced feel, then you will get to know exactly where you have contacted the ball on the blade as a good contact and a bad contact both have their unique feel.
From quality perspective, I believe that Donic blades are of very good quality. In fact, I feel that the process which they apply to glue to plies of the blade together, makes the blade more robust and can handle more bumps than other more expensive brands.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if you have further questions.

This user has no status.
Reactions: thomas.pong
I have experience with Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon (DWSUC). This blade is a inner carbon blade with limba top layers. I am writing this comment so as to share a common understanding of 'Senso' technology which Donic puts and markets in their senso line up of blades.
Senso blades come in two variants - V1 and V2. V1 => More speed and V2 => more control. But for Donic Ovt. Senso No.1 it is not clear which version (V1 or V2) it does belong to. Further, due to hollow handle you will feel that the weight of the blade tends to be more towards the head of the blade. When you put rubbers this feeling of the overall weight transitioning towards the head becomes more evident.
From the ball feel perspective, hollow handle increases the vibration on your palm. If you get used to this enhanced feel, then you will get to know exactly where you have contacted the ball on the blade as a good contact and a bad contact both have their unique feel.
From quality perspective, I believe that Donic blades are of very good quality. In fact, I feel that the process which they apply to glue to plies of the blade together, makes the blade more robust and can handle more bumps than other more expensive brands.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if you have further questions.
Isn't this blade a remade Ultra Carbon from donic before? Dunno if this was a sirnov or torben wosik blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I assume that means he's using his old Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso with a Butterfly handle until Butterfly can make a new blade for him?

Wouldn´t that be something, when after years of playing all sorts of different blades with a Donic handle he´d take the one that he "actually, finally, really, now we don´t mean really like we meant when we said really before, we mean really really" plays to Butterfly to start the same shit all over again "until they can make a new blade for him"?

Actually, they obviously did, as he quite freely showed his prototype during a store appearance in January, saying he had had it for a while. Similar to Harimoto but thicker core, enlarged head, longer handle. Of course the fine tuning might take a while, but I think this is more likely than him taking some bogus blade and even give it to people, then continue to play Donic.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Here's a photo of the Butterfly blade he's currently playing with:

94883709_230553118204122_2592836086891806720_o.jpg

ALC with customized hollow Viscaria ST handle.

I thought he was playing with ALC outer, looks like it here.
He definitely likes the hollow handle à la Donic.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Here's a photo of the Butterfly blade he's currently playing with:

View attachment 22435

ALC with customized hollow Viscaria ST handle.

I thought he was playing with ALC outer, looks like it here.
He definitely likes the hollow handle à la Donic.
Aarh Yeah, that's outer not inner [emoji848]

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
In Dan’s video he says he uses customized innerforce style blade. He doesn’t use outer alc blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think he changes grip to much for flates handle. That is why he want the handle so round.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Were there any more photos where that one came from?

I can't see the normal Butterfly ALC blue colour in the composite layer on that one, but it could well be just the angle or lighting in that image.

At this distance and angle, you mostly see the carbon and not the blue AL fibers so the ply appears black. This is common, even if you hold a Butterfly ALC blade flat and somewhat far in front of you. When you bring if closer, you can clearly see the blue fibers. By zooming on the picture you can kind of see them too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Interesting. It looks like a slightly thicker Viscaria which, if it's a Limba outer as well (which seems to have been DO's preference) basically means this is a Freitas ALC with a Donic Senso style handle.

But ... Dan's video definitely says "Innerforce ALC style" blade.

I suppose that means he's still experimenting with various options.