Men's World Cup 2020

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Terrible draw for the Taiwanese men, although maybe Lin Yun-Ju could pull off a surprise.
As someone who doesn't really follow men's table tennis, I wanted to try keeping up with the Men's World Cup this year.
Predicting semi-finalists seem a lot less predictable (read: less boring) than women's draws. Although I wonder how much of that can be attributed to unfamiliarity rather than volatility of the matchups themselves.

Niwa will always be the most interesting player for me to watch but something tells me going through 2 Korean men/Calderano won't be easy for him.

This user has no status.
I Saw some matches, I noticed some interesting thing.
It is just me or Ma Long's power on shots is decreased radically? In his match against jorgic the speed of his forehand was significantly slower compared to his opponent one.
I also noticed that harimoto is buff, he has develop some muscles, and his forehand technique is changed quite a bit

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It is just me or Ma Long's power on shots is decreased radically? In his match against jorgic the speed of his forehand was significantly slower compared to his opponent one.
I also noticed that harimoto is buff, he has develop some muscles, and his forehand technique is changed quite a bit

I think Jorgic just played at a higher level than expected. Chinese rubber is usually slower than European/Japanese rubber.

Harimoto I agree 100%.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I just watched the Rio Olympic MS Final. Ma Long was more muscular back then. It explains why his shot is slower and of lower quality as compared to his prime time.

In contrast, sure any boy would grow more muscular in their teen years. Harimoto will surely post a threat to the Chinese within a few years.

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Did Ma long play a lot better against Ovtcharov than against Jorgic?
I ask because ML played v. bad against Jorgic, even accounting for Jorgic's performance. Others have noted that he was severely lacking power, but also he just seemed slow, uncoordinated, missing a lot...
And sure, he's getting older, etc., but I'm just comparing to his matches in China 1-2 months ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Did Ma long play a lot better against Ovtcharov than against Jorgic?
I ask because ML played v. bad against Jorgic, even accounting for Jorgic's performance. Others have noted that he was severely lacking power, but also he just seemed slow, uncoordinated, missing a lot...
And sure, he's getting older, etc., but I'm just comparing to his matches in China 1-2 months ago.

Jorgic has a very awkward game (think Bojan Tokic of sorts). Dima is someone Ma has played many times and who the Chinese team know inside out. I suspect a rematch with Jorgic would yield a different result in margin of victory after the coaches find places for Ma Long to target.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
All true, but I also just feel like ML's level of play in this tournament is just not up to par. I just watched him against Ovtcharov and I didn't think he looked good there - backhand looked way too imprecise and tentative.
I don't see him seriously challenging FZD in this state, and he might lose to Harimoto. Of course, he can still play better moving forward.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
All true, but I also just feel like ML's level of play in this tournament is just not up to par. I just watched him against Ovtcharov and I didn't think he looked good there - backhand looked way too imprecise and tentative.
I don't see him seriously challenging FZD in this state, and he might lose to Harimoto. Of course, he can still play better moving forward.

I agree that he doesn't look as good as he did in the Chinese tournaments. But I don't think Harimoto will be a problem unless Harimoto has gotten much better. And against Fan he can resort to default tactics, but he has also ceded that Fan should win more often and is probably yop9ng to get lucky at the Oly6.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I agree that he doesn't look as good as he did in the Chinese tournaments. But I don't think Harimoto will be a problem unless Harimoto has gotten much better. And against Fan he can resort to default tactics, but he has also ceded that Fan should win more often and is probably yop9ng to get lucky at the Oly6.

Some players need few warm up tournaments to hit stride. It's been a disastrous year and for can go up and down because of it. Be interesting how these players perform at Grand Finals and Macau but just as keen see today's SF.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
On the chinese competitions a few months ago, Ma Long seemed to have a relatively slow start, than rose his level on the semis and finals. Maybe aging has made him take a bit longer than usual to reach his peak form during a competition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Ma Long has definitely upped his power in the match against Ovtcharov, compared to the match against Jorgic where indeed he did look a bit as if he was lacking power there to finish the rally and only by a margin he managed to win against Jorgic in the 5th game. From then on the 6th game was then easy for him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
On the chinese competitions a few months ago, Ma Long seemed to have a relatively slow start, than rose his level on the semis and finals. Maybe aging has made him take a bit longer than usual to reach his peak form during a competition.

We make it sound like early 30's is old. They are still young adults.

Its not likes its a physically demanding sport like soccer, basketball where super high conditioning is required. Sure fitness is required but honestly if they wanted to they could play entire tournaments in a day.

Timo and few other Europeans even older yet little coming back on them, probs because depth pool isn't as deep in countries they represent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Harimoto beating ML like a drum. ML's FH power is gone, BH unstable. Lots of problems with serve receive. Harimoto's BH wide to ML FH is killing him. This can easily end up 4-1 Harimoto.