Sanwei Hynover Blade Review

Reposting this blade review in order for this to have a separate thread and would be easier to find using search engines.

Sanwei Hynover
Weight: 94 grams
Plies: 5 wood + 2 Carbon Kevlar layers (inner carbon kevlar)
Thickness: 6.34mm
Speed: Off+

TdXroKs.jpg

XAmMsS3.jpg

The Sanwei Hynover is an all out attacking blade designed by Sanwei for players who will not compromise power over anything. This blade is on the heavier side as it is advertised to have an average of 95 grams while mine is at 94 grams. This is a Hinoki outer blade with 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] layer Carbon-Kevlar weaving. The core looks like Ayous wood which is very thick. Its thick core is about 3.7 to 3.8mm. The blade has a crisp and medium stiff feel compared to pure carbon composite blades. I tested the Hynover with the Gear Hyper 38 degrees and Joola Dynaryz AGR just to test what it could do when paired with either Chinese or European rubber.

Speed & Control

This is the speed blade of the 2020 blades from Sanwei. This was built mainly for speed with some amount of good control but overall this is a very fast blade. Although not as stiff as pure carbon blades like Butterfly Schlager Carbon or any other Tamca blades, the Hynover is very fast in its own right. In fact, I could compare it to be nearing the speed of Butterfly Amultart. When I was using both the 38 degree Gear Hyper and the Joola Dynaryz AGR rubbers, I had to adjust my swings. Uusually I am the type of player who swings more due to being used to using rubbers that are tacky and not too fast in the forehand. Despite the Gear Hyper being a Chinese rubber, the speed of that rubber is actually equivalent to some ESN rubbers. On forehand drive drills, you have to lessen your swing wherein you only need a little movement from your arms due to the power of the blade that can be produced. When you are at middle distance, you will begin to notice the comfort of using the Hynover as I believe due to its power you would need to be at least middle distance to fully utilize its power and speed. I had to adjust my level of control on this blade near the table but starting at middle distance, you can control the blade even with full swings. Far distance from the table is where you would not need much effort using the 2 mentioned rubbers. Although being medium stiff, hard rubbers seem not an issue at middle distance so counter topspins middle to far distance from the table. In all honesty, I think it pairs well with ultra-fast rubbers if you have the skills.

Spin Drives, Smashing and Blocking

These 3 strokes are what the Hynover is best used at. If you are the type of player who likes to hit through the sponge of the rubber to get extra juice for extra power, then the Hynover is perfect for such type of play. When doing spin drives or blocking against someone using it, you can feel your blade shaken a little bit. When you know somebody who spin drives a lot or smashes a lot, you would not want to be on the receiving end when they use this blade against you. I also enjoyed smashing medium high topspin balls with the Hynover. It produces a sharp arc but easily clears the net. My smashes seem to be better with this blade compared to the Paramid blade by a huge margin. It could effectively still smash at middle distance with some reduction of threat due to the distance but still at that distance a lot of blades seem to lose power and speed already by a huge amount. Blocking on this is excellent sicne it is very stable to block with. Aside from the fact that this is a heavy blade, the combination of the different types of hardness on each layer of wood and composite material gives you a bit of a good feedback to block. When using this blade, due to its speed, active blocks and even passive blocks are already fast when being returned to your opponents.

Looping and Spinning

Despite being a fast blade, it could still loop underspin well. The hinoki outer layers and the carbon-kevlar has a bit of softness in it giving you some amount of “dwell” . It can do slow and spinny loops at delayed contact timing but I do not think this is the type of stroke that the Hynover was designed to do. It favors strong topspin strokes with emphasis on speed and power while not too much emphasis on spin. I mean this blade was made for speed, why use it on slow but spinny attacking loops. It has a low arc when looping underspin near the table. You could see that long and sharp trajectory of the blade.

Conclusion

I would highly recommend this blade for advanced level players who have the skills to do countertopspins middle distance and away from the table because this is where the blade really shines. This was made for people who have established their attacking strokes well and can control the blade when partnered with an offensive type of rubber. Overall, the Hynover is surprisingly good for its price compared to other much expensive blades with almost the same design.

Last edited:
Reactions: M.Hoang
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
BTW, the Hynover is 5 ply instead of 3. There is a thin birch layer under the top layer.

I think i pointed this out before that the blade it self is printed with 5wood plus 2 kev carbon and then the description is 3+2 but inreality this is a 7 ply blade with inner carbon layers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I think i pointed this out before that the blade it self is printed with 5wood plus 2 kev carbon and then the description is 3+2 but inreality this is a 7 ply blade with inner carbon layers.

Thanks. Actually it is printed 5 + 2 on the printing. But totally you are right about the structure.