Blade to start in penholder?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Hello I have 5 years of playing ShakeHand and I tried the penhold and I loved it I even feel that I am better than with ShakeHand, but I only used normal blades and I did not use one of PH so I want to buy one, which you recommend to start in the penhold, I currently use Hurricane Long 5.

I am evaluating these options:

- Stiga Intensity NCT Ch.Pen
- Stiga Offensive Wood NCT Ch.Pen
- Tibhar Stratus Power Wood Ch.Pen

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Maybe hurricane H301 because you used long 5 and liked it? Similar blade and was told it was more suitable for penhold than long 5. Also price point seem to be around blades you named. I do encourage you to presue penhold and hope your good experiences last as it is a dying breed and different style but very much exciting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Maybe hurricane H301 because you used long 5 and liked it? Similar blade and was told it was more suitable for penhold than long 5. Also price point seem to be around blades you named. I do encourage you to presue penhold and hope your good experiences last as it is a dying breed and different style but very much exciting
I will see your suggestion Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Just dont get too excited, I it happens to everyone, they hit couple balls penholding (?), and they just think its so great, and after some matches it starts to get sad.

That’s true. I am a penholder. Changed to SH and now back to PH. PH style requires a high level of technique and mentality in match. To succeed you will need a fair amount of regular coaching

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
That’s true. I am a penholder. Changed to SH and now back to PH. PH style requires a high level of technique and mentality in match. To succeed you will need a fair amount of regular coaching
It's okay if it doesn't work for me, I'll have the HL5 anyway. But for now I am looking for blade suggestions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
You don't need any suggestion, the best blade is the blade that fits your style. For example, today I played with a 5$ blade from AliExpress and a pair of rubbers that cost 7$ and will upload soon my video IMG_20201114_135756378.jpgIMG_20201114_135731366.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
It's okay if it doesn't work for me, I'll have the HL5 anyway. But for now I am looking for blade suggestions.

If you are used to Long V you can get a Fang Bo ALC or H301. They are both inner ALX similar to Long V.

However, I find that I prefer outer alc when playing PH as you will find that you trade some power for flexibility in PH.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I think you should start with a 5-ply all-wood OFF- penhold blade as it is a very particular and demanding style/technique that is quite different from shakehand, so that you can really experience the feel and touch required.

I'd suggest the Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive C-Pen for exemple, or the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood you mentionned.

Last edited:
Reactions: alas26
This user has no status.
get a ma lin extra offensive, slow enough to start with and fast enough for anyone, only reason to change is if you're bored. cheap and litrally perfect for penhold.
My advice: Make sure you have a massive forhand loops and serve. Always play with the mindset of how you will work your opponant onto a forehand loop without them getting there first.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
So, this is how I've been penholding this Saturday, with a 10USD combo - both the Boer blade and Kokutaku 868 are very cheap and I also had AliExpress/seller coupons :D

https://youtu.be/1qOEp2b1XeY

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

It looks like you generates lots of power. Good news!! You should try a H3 on FH in the future.

Reactions: Aurelian Mihai
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
I agree that Ma Lin EO is a good starting point without a high price to pay.

Happy Penholding!

Will you be a “modern” penholder utilizing Bh side (RPB)? Or are you planing to stay “traditional” one sided
I'll try to play the modern style.