World Cup Commentator

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Greetings. Have been watching the WC (both men's and women's) and loving it. So happy to have live international TT back again.

Can the ITTF please get us a better commentator? I am not sure who the guy is who is doing the commentary, but in my opinion, he is not that great. I don't want to pick on someone who's native language is not English as they are bound to understandably make some mistakes, but someone in his position as an "expert" really should know that a block or attack is NOT called a "push". He keeps using the term push incorrectly. Additionally, he should know that the German men's coach's first name is not Joergen. He also needs to keep track of the score in sets better. He actually said during one match that the match is "tied at 2 sets a piece and we are about to start the 4th set" when the score was really 2-1 in sets. More importantly, he really needs to enhance the viewing experience, rather than detract from it.

Maybe we have become spoiled over the last several years by having an entertaining and pretty knowledgeable guy doing the commentary (even though some people may not appreciate Adam's "quirkiness").....but surely the ITTF can do better, especially during this extremely high end tournament that seems to be very well run . Its pretty bad that I now prefers to watch the action with the sound muted.

Is it just me or do others feel the same way?

And, does anyone know why Adam is not the commentator?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The male voice is Wang Dong. He's worked as the announcer for ITTF before, WTTC 2011 for example. This dude is no small fry. He's worked for the USIA, ESPN and CBS, as well as the UN. He used to be an interpreter for Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China.

The reason he keeps using the English term "push" for "block" is because "push" happens to be the Chinese term for "block". 推擋(literally push-block) is often shortened to 推(push) in colloquial usage. This term dates back to the penhold era and is usually not used for the shakehand grip, where the term 平擋(literally flat-block) is used, but newcomers or outsiders often are not aware of the difference. For the push, the Chinese term is 搓(rub). Can't really blame him. When I first joined the English-speaking forums, I kept wondering what's wrong with these people, just like you here. Lost in translation.

Bobrow appears to be having fun in Taiwan currently. No idea why he wasn't invited. Perhaps they have to keep the foreign personnel to a minimum due to COVID-19 restrictions?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Feel like they talk about alot of other stuff

Reactions: Foxy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
It is certainly not the best but given the state of the world and the fact that we even have important matches to watch right now, I don't think it is the time to complain about the commentating. He was likely chosen because he was already inside China - ITTF is limiting how many people can enter the bubble especially from overseas, so bringing in a foreign commentator is at the bottom of their priority list. There was a mad rush by ITTF and CTTA to even pull off the "RESTART" on time given all the difficulties in running an international event during these times.

One small change he could make is to stop talking as points are about to start, he often carries his commentary into the start of the next point which is distracting.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Koreans call a push an attacking shot where you had been doing FH topspins, but now you "Pushed" through the ball to make a nearly no-spin attacking shot. That is a Korean push and in their TT English, this is prominent.

What USA TT people call a push is a non-attacking underspin shot... Koreans call that a "Cut".

What USA TT people call a Loop Koreans call a "Drive", but USATT people call a drive a very light topspin FH or BH shot.

Point is some nations' TT terminaology will not match USA TT English. I do not think that is a national or international crime, this stuff evolves locally on its own and ITTF or USATT does not have such command of local TT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
It is certainly not the best but given the state of the world and the fact that we even have important matches to watch right now, I don't think it is the time to complain about the commentating. He was likely chosen because he was already inside China - ITTF is limiting how many people can enter the bubble especially from overseas, so bringing in a foreign commentator is at the bottom of their priority list. There was a mad rush by ITTF and CTTA to even pull off the "RESTART" on time given all the difficulties in running an international event during these times.

One small change he could make is to stop talking as points are about to start, he often carries his commentary into the start of the next point which is distracting.

Some of the rule changes have been put in place over the past decade, in order to make TT more attractive to a broad TV audience.

If the ITTF is serious about growing this sport into something significant internationally (and not be considered by many to be a small marginal sport), then TV is definitely one of the keys to success. The real big money is in TV. Just look at international tennis, American football, baseball, NBA, etc. All of these sports have HUGE money and most of it is from TV revenues. If you want to provide an excellent TV experience for the viewer, then you have to have excellent commentary. That is a proven fact. So yes, now is the time to pay attention to providing an excellent TV experience. The consensus is that this guy (who may be very accomplished in many ways and might be a genius), is NOT providing a world class experience with his commentary. If you want serious success, then you can not be complacent about important details like this. And, this is not really a "complaint"...its something that needs to be addressed and fixed moving forward. After all, everyone wins if this sport grows in a major way. Enough excuse making and being satisfied with mediocrity.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
A big moan is following:

I really do not appreciate the ongoing waffle from the commentators.
I find it distracts and detracts from the play and is downright disrespectful to the players.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the male commentator is a nice guy and the female players he has by his side are great , knowledgeable players in their own right and I would love to hear what they have to say , maybe after the game with a cup of coffee or a energy drink BUT NOT DURING THE ACTUAL PLAY !!!

Ohhhhh that feels better now ;);)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I don't dislike the commentator per se. But his timing of starting new unrelated conversation between points creates unnecessary distractions. For example, there was a tense moment in the match between FZD and LYJ and suddenly the discussion veered towards about how Lily and other guys are influencing TT scene in the U.S. ;)

Reactions: DJ-RoGeRs-BS
This user has no status.
At least it’s not the announcer from T2 “Woah-hoh! That’s what we want to see!” Every time there is a long rally or lobbing.

Is there any chance that ITTF would post unedited videos to YouTube? It’s pretty annoying that they skip points and also annoying that the announcers get cut off mid sentence. Is the editing happening because they have some kind of exclusive TV deals with cable channels for the full content?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7malligk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
What USA TT people call a push is a non-attacking underspin shot... Koreans call that a "Cut".
same thing in Russian, we cut those balls. I couldn't care less if a commentator calls a drive a push, I have my own pair of eyes to discern the two. I made fun of him mixing up names (a common theme among the older commentators who fill in for an event or two) during women's cup, but then I learnt he isn't even a native speaker and now all I have is mad respect for the guy. He also offers some insights into the Chinese table tennis, and his conversations with Lily Zhang were very interesting to hear. Same with Liam. Asked him all the right questions. He also managed to stay remarkably unbiased towards China.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
same thing in Russian, we cut those balls. I couldn't care less if a commentator calls a drive a push, I have my own pair of eyes to discern the two. I made fun of him mixing up names (a common theme among the older commentators who fill in for an event or two) during women's cup, but then I learnt he isn't even a native speaker and now all I have is mad respect for the guy. He also offers some insights into the Chinese table tennis, and his conversations with Lily Zhang were very interesting to hear. Same with Liam. Asked him all the right questions. He also managed to stay remarkably unbiased towards China.

Nothing wrong re talking in between points........................about the game in process, it is the talking while the players are actually "at it" that gets on my wick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Some of the rule changes have been put in place over the past decade, in order to make TT more attractive to a broad TV audience.

If the ITTF is serious about growing this sport into something significant internationally (and not be considered by many to be a small marginal sport), then TV is definitely one of the keys to success. The real big money is in TV. Just look at international tennis, American football, baseball, NBA, etc. All of these sports have HUGE money and most of it is from TV revenues. If you want to provide an excellent TV experience for the viewer, then you have to have excellent commentary. That is a proven fact. So yes, now is the time to pay attention to providing an excellent TV experience. The consensus is that this guy (who may be very accomplished in many ways and might be a genius), is NOT providing a world class experience with his commentary. If you want serious success, then you can not be complacent about important details like this. And, this is not really a "complaint"...its something that needs to be addressed and fixed moving forward. After all, everyone wins if this sport grows in a major way. Enough excuse making and being satisfied with mediocrity.

I understand that but you are ignoring the entire point of my post which you replied to. Not feasible right now, for a variety of reasons that are COVID-related and not COVID-related.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I understand that but you are ignoring the entire point of my post which you replied to. Not feasible right now, for a variety of reasons that are COVID-related and not COVID-related.

interesting ZYU....Are you assuming that there are Covid-related reasons and non-Covid -reasons? Or do you have specific insider information that will back up what you are claiming? I am looking forward to learning from you what these specific reasons are and to see why they are absolutely justifying providing the world with a way less than excellent viewing experience due to inferior commentary.