playing with short pips

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Hi guys,

After watching Mima Ito play in the world cup I would like to try some short pips. I really love her style and would try it for fun.

I've never played with them before. Always played inverted. I like to try them in Bh. I have a good FH. I like to open with it, do one or 2 topspins and finish the point with a fast ball from fh or bh. I'm not so confident in bh topspin. But i like blocking with it. I dont really have a strong pushing game and i'm very bad at chopping.

I did some research on rubbers. But it's a jungle out there. I would like to try the spinlord degu. It is not too expensive and seems to be easy to start with and has some spin for pushing.

Got some advice for someone who wants to try an offensive short pip style? Maybe some good tutorials on youtube?

So far i got. Stay close to table and get the ball early.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Maybe try the inverted Nittaku Goriki Rapid first as a transition. Haven't tried it myself, but it's made as having some short-pips properties, but still being inverted.

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Are you good at blocking and smashing with the backhand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Blocking yes. And smashing, not really full on closing out the point. But i like drive agressive after some top spins to finish a point
hi clv
i am a long time sp user. If you want to emulate Mima ito you should avoid the old style sp like 802-40 and instead choose a tensor sp like flarestorm II perhaps or MORISTO which is what Ito herself uses
Moristo is very fast which enhances punch shots but is also capable of spinny topspin openers as well.
Sp is about using speed and touch to dominate opponents and take their time away. Its important to have a consistent block while also maintaining an aggresive attitude.
The advantage of sp is that it enables you to punch through the topspin of opponents and play earlier than with reverse so must be happy to play close
good luck!

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
hi clv
i am a long time sp user. If you want to emulate Mima ito you should avoid the old style sp like 802-40 and instead choose a tensor sp like flarestorm II perhaps or MORISTO which is what Ito herself uses
Moristo is very fast which enhances punch shots but is also capable of spinny topspin openers as well.
Sp is about using speed and touch to dominate opponents and take their time away. Its important to have a consistent block while also maintaining an aggresive attitude.
The advantage of sp is that it enables you to punch through the topspin of opponents and play earlier than with reverse so must be happy to play close
good luck!

You think de spinlord degu is good to try this? I'm a bit hesitant to try the Moristo because it is expensive and its my first time trying something other then inverted. I don't know if i like it and it's just to try it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
802-40 is so hard, atleast those i can buy from european stores. Easier to start with something softer.

This user has no status.
I use to play with SP, and tried many, many different ones before settling on one that suited my game best. My preference is another rubber from Spinlord: Waran (not Waran II).

According to Spinlord, Degu is spinier, whereas Waran is faster. Here is what they say on their site: "Like Degu Waran is very insensitive to incoming spin. When comparing Waran to Degu, Waran is much better for fast attack, but Degu is superior for topspins. Also the Degu is a little bit easier to play although the control of the Waran is still very high.

Sounds like Degu would be better suited to your present game since you like to topspin, and are not looking for an all out attack rubber, although that's exactly what Mima Ito does. Having said that, every short pip rubber will be inferior for looping compared to inverted, as that's not what they are designed to do...

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
I can loop with the BH, i'm just not really confident with it. Also i'm getting older and have some physical limitations due to back surgery. I used to be able to fh topspin from bh site, so didnt have to use bh topspin, and still get the block to my fh side. But i'm just not fast enough annymore.

I'm not the best pusher. So looking for something that's not to sensitive for incoming spin. So i can be agressive from service return with bh. Also to block really agressive so i can take over the rally.

I was looking to start with the degu because they say its ez to transition from inverted. If i like it, i would try waran or moristo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Would you have problem moving the legs due to the back? Need to move pretty good to be able to play aggresive with short pimple, so you can hit at the highest point. Proably do not need to move as much with short pimple on the backhand but if you have somewhat big problems moving so you have trouble hitting at the highest point or/and are playing passive on the backhand side i think you might consider a short pimple with less grip so you will get some effect and can easier play different lengths.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think the beat would be if he could try some other players short pimple before buying. Hard without any preference. Think if he is more passive he could probably benefit from short pimple with less grip or middle pimples. Never played with middle pips. Maybe you can advice him?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Middle pimps are definitely more effective and weird balls if you are going to block a lot, and not attack full time.
Spinlord Keiler are very easy to use. I would recommend getting 1.5mm for more nasty slow knuckle balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
What helped me was to watch this YouTube video by Maxim Cerepnin (switch on the Close Caption for English subtitles):
https://youtu.be/C__FqO_IMZ8
and for a cost-effective tensor short pip try the Yinhe Uranus Pro:
https://youtu.be/B9ebClkEo68
which you can get from princett.com for $10.50.

Note that there are two versions of the Uranus Pro, with medium or soft sponge (probably similar to TSP Spectol Blue and Red), and there is a comparison review on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHssOAjYsw.

I used it on a simple 5-ply walnut blade (Yinhe Pro 5W) which has very good control (reviewed by yogi_bear 5 years ago ...) mostly for the backhand like Mima Ito. I also have rackets with other tensor short pips (Yasaka Rakza PO, Nittaku Moristo SP) and they play similar to the Uranus Pro to first order.

The tabletennis11.com blog has some reviews by Patrick Hrdlicka of the Nittaku Moristo SP, Yasaka Rakza PO, and TSP Spectol Red.

As far as I can tell, the Moristo SP, Rakza PO, and Uranus Pro play similarly with the Rakza PO being a little faster/less control, the Uranus Pro being slower/good control, and the Nittaku SP being good control/less spinny.
The key point is what to do with the short pips and watching Mima Ito videos helps there.

Last edited: