playing with short pips

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
What helped me was to watch this YouTube video by Maxim Cerepnin (switch on the Close Caption for English subtitles):
https://youtu.be/C__FqO_IMZ8
and for a cost-effective tensor short pip try the Yinhe Uranus Pro:
https://youtu.be/B9ebClkEo68
which you can get from princett.com for $10.50.

Note that there are two versions of the Uranus Pro, with medium or soft sponge (probably similar to TSP Spectol Blue and Red), and there is a comparison review on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHssOAjYsw.

I used it on a simple 5-ply walnut blade (Yinhe Pro 5W) which has very good control (reviewed by yogi_bear 5 years ago ...) mostly for the backhand like Mima Ito. I also have rackets with other tensor short pips (Yasaka Rakza PO, Nittaku Moristo SP) and they play similar to the Uranus Pro to first order.

The tabletennis11.com blog has some reviews by Patrick Hrdlicka of the Nittaku Moristo SP, Yasaka Rakza PO, and TSP Spectol Red.

As far as I can tell, the Moristo SP, Rakza PO, and Uranus Pro play similarly with the Rakza PO being a little faster/less control, the Uranus Pro being slower/good control, and the Nittaku SP being good control/less spinny.
The key point is what to do with the short pips and watching Mima Ito videos helps there.
I played uranus pro before, yeh it's good but it has long trajectory I get more outside balls, the uranus poly has softer sponge shorter trajectory but less speed, both have high ball return in blocking, I prefer dms firestorm soft max, easier to play close to the table good for hits and smashes

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Very hard to give advice about pimples. Feel like they can be more different compared to inverted. How thick, high the pimples are, the grip, the spacing inbetween, in which direction the pimples go, and how the sponge is aswell. Djungle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
You think de spinlord degu is good to try this? I'm a bit hesitant to try the Moristo because it is expensive and its my first time trying something other then inverted. I don't know if i like it and it's just to try it.
I have not tried DEGU but I have used Spinlord Waran and think that would be an excellent intro to attacking Sp
I agree Moristo is expensive but is good value. Most of my playng career I played in large clubs, so if I was interested in a new rubber or blade I would ask a club mate to let me test it. Buying rubbers and blades you should not rely on advertising burb or hearsay but always try to get a handson opportunity
good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Try RITC 802-40 first because it is cheap. Then practice hitting through the ball with a more open angle and at peak or on the rise timing.
i agree its cheap and very easy to play with but imho think its too different in performance from the modern tensor sp
Just as butterly allround would be too far from tenergy

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Guys, Thanks for al the advice and the links to the video's. I ordered the Spinlord Degu 2.0mm. I was thinking about the Waran, but I first want to see if i like to feel and the playing style. The Degu video's and reviews i read gave me the impression that they would be easy to adept to. I didn't go for medium long because i don't want to be too disruptive. I Think the Waran, Moristo or maybe the medium ones will be a good next step if I like it and decide to stick with it.

In my club there are not many short pimple players and the ones that do play them FH. I think they need a different kind of rubber. So it's difficult to just try them.

I hope i can get used to it. I've always played inverted, so i'll need to adjust my mindset. Are there some good tutorials on how to play Short Pips BH? I've seen a few, but they weren't really good. The russian guy is nice, but he plays pimples both sides, so that's a whole other way of playing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I am coach for a player with degu. Think it will work fine. Soft But not so much grip i think so i think you can get some effect.

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
I am coach for a player with degu. Think it will work fine. Soft But not so much grip i think so i think you can get some effect.

Hi thanks. I was a bit hesitant for the Degu because the rubber was soft and I like to play with harder inverted rubbers.
But I'll try to keep an open mind and just see what happens. It's new gear and a new playing style so maybe it will be fine.

Are harder pimples better to block with or play aggressive drives?
It is not really my plan to start chopping, but hey who knows what happens when i slap it on!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Easier to smash everything with a little softer rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Is it the case that the thicker the sponge the slower the pimpled rubber and the more control there is? The same as with long pimples?

I don't think there are any modern short pips with dampening sponges...

That being said, if you smash hard all rubbers bottom out so there is little difference in speed. Plus, thinner sponges feel crisper. You'll have a harder time looping though.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I'm too late with this advice, but don't get 2.0. Ito plays with 1.8, so if 2.0 is too much for her ....

My other suggestion is not to choose a short pimple that is easy to adapt to coming from inverted. Unless you have a coach who will teach you short pips play. It's very easy with modern pimples to use them for topspin. And then you are playing basically with a really bad inverted because they don't make enough spin unless you have massive incoming backspin you can recycle.

Try to hit everything with the pimples. They are made to hit and they work great like that. Once you can hit then mixing in a topspin can be really effective because you opponent will have adjusted to the hit balls and wlll lift it. But if you find you haven't changed much from your inverted strokes and ball contact, don't be happy about that. Even though the ball will land on the table, you are using the short pips wrong.

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
I'm too late with this advice, but don't get 2.0. Ito plays with 1.8, so if 2.0 is too much for her ....

My other suggestion is not to choose a short pimple that is easy to adapt to coming from inverted. Unless you have a coach who will teach you short pips play. It's very easy with modern pimples to use them for topspin. And then you are playing basically with a really bad inverted because they don't make enough spin unless you have massive incoming backspin you can recycle.

Try to hit everything with the pimples. They are made to hit and they work great like that. Once you can hit then mixing in a topspin can be really effective because you opponent will have adjusted to the hit balls and wlll lift it. But if you find you haven't changed much from your inverted strokes and ball contact, don't be happy about that. Even though the ball will land on the table, you are using the short pips wrong.

Sounds like some solid advice. I mainly do pushing blocking and driving with bh. And maybe play 2 BH topspins in in a match. I 'm not worried about playing too much topspin.

I like to block agressive with BH, but sometimes overshoot. I think this wil be better with the SP. I'll probably need to adjust my drives to be more snappy and agressive. Have no idea about the pushes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Think thickness depends how you want to play. Believe more effect with thinner but thicker better if really offensive. I use short pimple on forehand and use max. Think anything other than max would be to slow and bottom out. Can imagine thicker makes it a little easier to get some spin and play a bit further away so maybe better for forehand shakehand?

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
a nice cheap alternative is the RITC 729 Friendship 802 Mystery III (Not the -40)......................and a small bottle of johnsons baby oil to ""boost""" or soften the sponge.
These are dirt cheap at Ali and the sponge is actually rated 35 unlike the -40 version which is H38

I was also "sucked -in" the short pimple phenomenon by watching Mima so I wasted a few bucks just for a bit of fun.
I go and play in a senior TT club some afternoons and use this setup to have fun and "handicap" myself a bit.

blade Sanwei J7
FH FS Mistery III-40
BH globe 999

to make it more interesting (I am not bull shitting myself into believing i am Falck ;)) I serve with the 999
and then twiddle. (Another new experiment)

have fun

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
a nice cheap alternative is the RITC 729 Friendship 802 Mystery III (Not the -40)......................and a small bottle of johnsons baby oil to ""boost""" or soften the sponge.
These are dirt cheap at Ali and the sponge is actually rated 35 unlike the -40 version which is H38

I was also "sucked -in" the short pimple phenomenon by watching Mima so I wasted a few bucks just for a bit of fun.
I go and play in a senior TT club some afternoons and use this setup to have fun and "handicap" myself a bit.

blade Sanwei J7
FH FS Mistery III-40
BH globe 999

to make it more interesting (I am not bull shitting myself into believing i am Falck ;)) I serve with the 999
and then twiddle. (Another new experiment)

have fun

That's what i'm aiming for. A fun new experiment. Maybe i'll stick with it if i like it. My guess is I'll hate it after 3 weeks of not getting a decent shot on the table :)

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
That's what i'm aiming for. A fun new experiment. Maybe i'll stick with it if i like it. My guess is I'll hate it after 3 weeks of not getting a decent shot on the table :)

I think you will be alright. It is a safe bet that if an old cripple like myself can play with a setup like that there is a fair chance that just about anybody will be able to do it.

Naturally it depends what level of play we are talking about. At pro level it took Mattias Falk a very long time to master his setup

CLV

This user has no status.

CLV

This user has no status.
Sep 2020
I think you will be alright. It is a safe bet that if an old cripple like myself can play with a setup like that there is a fair chance that just about anybody will be able to do it.

Naturally it depends what level of play we are talking about. At pro level it took Mattias Falk a very long time to master his setup

I'm not really aiming to go pro. I started playing a year ago after 20 years off not doing any sport. I used to be pretty serious as a kid training 15+ hours a week. So i have good fundalebtals. Now i'm in my mid 30's and need to do some kind of sport bacause i had some major health issues. I'm still competitive and serious about the game. But it's all for fun.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hope tabletennis can bring you better health. Good luck!

Reactions: Basmundo