Is Harimoto's screams disrespectful to the opponent?

Is Harimoto's screaming disrespectful to the sport and to his opponents?

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Does a boxer congratulate himself every time he lands a punch? Winning a point is only 1/44th of the work... A ping pong player should at least win a game before any form of celebration, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment and you look stupid. Preferably you should wait until the end of the match then scream all you like.

So, disrespectful? I don't know. Stupid? A little bit.

How could you ever compare boxing and tabletennis like that? It's the most stupid comparison ever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
by the way, Harimoto started to take boxing lessons (with a boxing world ? champion). He said it was helping his footwork.

Confident Harimoto and Mima can somehow engineer a Gold Medal at Tokyo games next year?

I know Harimoto lost today but last 3 games have been really good, just needs fix up few things and some losses can turn into wins, will benefit off these losses in the long run

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Confident Harimoto and Mima can somehow engineer a Gold Medal at Tokyo games next year?

I know Harimoto lost today but last 3 games have been really good, just needs fix up few things and some losses can turn into wins, will benefit off these losses in the long run

I think he is a serious contender. Despite his defeats against ML and the embarassing defeat today against JWJ, i think his TT level has tremendously improved compared to earlier this year. FZD seems to be above still.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
I think he is a serious contender. Despite his defeats against ML and the embarassing defeat today against JWJ, i think his TT level has tremendously improved compared to earlier this year. FZD seems to be above still.

Yeah agree, have to wait and see now with Covid situation and of Olympics will go ahead considering the current situation the globe is in

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
How could you ever compare boxing and tabletennis like that? It's the most stupid comparison ever.

No, it's not. I could compare to any sport or game in existence really, the same still applies. Think tennis, whatever, if your brain can digest that better. I just happened to have been watching Tyson highlights at the time of writing lol.

sorry qrong quote

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
What should be done?
Nothing major at first maybe some warnings after the game as he doesn't dima moan during the point so it would be unfair to do anything about fairly won points.

I suspect maybe they should withhold earnings if he gets more than x warnings at first. This shouldn't affect him as most his cash will be sponsorship, just to let him know it's serious.

How do define it as an issue? Well let's limit choing to a reasonable amount. So only maybe 4-5 per set at most. And volume wise he should get a warning if it could affect games on other tables significantly.

Maybe if fines don't work consider like football a system for disallowed entry to the next tournament of note after accumulated sportsmanship issues.

But I dont think it'd fair to remove points or results for sportsmanship issues as he still won the point fair and square.

I wasnt to point out I don't want him to be banned from anything just hopefully it wouldn't get to that point.

Withholding earnings will never happen. Nor will disallowing him to enter...this is the ITTF, not your local club tournament. Harimoto is likely their biggest cash cow right now, and they would have hell to pay with Butterfly, the JTTA, from a legal standpoint etc. until they have an established rule in place, and creating a rule around this isn't easy. At best, I would bank on unsportsmanlike conduct yellow cards, escalating if he continued to do so in a given match.

You also can't limit it per set, what happens if you go deep into deuce or there are multiple excellent points? I think the most feasible would be to do a volume limit but either way he would need to be notified prior to the match about new enforcement rules. And the same would have to go for everyone else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I think amateurs often dont appreciate that pro players experience of noise during matches is different from the ordinary.
I have been to many international events including 2 world championships 2 weeks of heaven twice!! (birmingham 77 and tokyo 83) The noise level is awesome with multiple tables in one hall. Especially during team events There will be non stop cheering squads from korea,Japan China sweden germany As a result the noise from the players is hardly noticeable and international players are hardened to it
On the other hand amateur players playing in small events are not acclimatised so they sometimes complain.
BTW if you havent been to a worlds event you should go it will blow your mind.
Any way though I am not shouter myself I would never want to lose the cheering squads as they add to the atmosphere
An international match with a single table is a liitle different, then the spectators should just cheer between points

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
Who doesn't celebrate between points among net sports?

The fans celebrate during the point multiple times.

Check out Carolina Marin of badminton.

Ha, it can depend on the sport. Volleyball for instance they definitely celebrate alot, but they're trying to keep team morale up and be supportive, but that doesn't exist in an individual sport or game. You'd instead be trying to pump yourself up. Does it need to be vocal every point? Does that make you play better? For some maybe, but there are very few examples of over the top celebration for minor accomplishments in most competitive play.

People just see others do stuff and then accept it as part of the culture of a particular game, no for particular reason other than to fit in. Cho is prolly the only thing Harimoto even knows how to say in Chinese.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
No, it's not. I could compare to any sport or game in existence really, the same still applies. Think tennis, whatever, if your brain can digest that better. I just happened to have been watching Tyson highlights at the time of writing lol.

If you don't see how celebrating in boxing compared to table tennis differs, then I'm truly sorry. Every point in table tennis is a "new point", you reset after every ball; this is not the case in boxing. If you don't get this, then I'm afraid it's pointless to even have this discussion.

Edit: What does table tennis and volleyball have in common, that boxing doesn't? A reset after every point.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
People just see others do stuff and then accept it as part of the culture of a particular game, no for particular reason other than to fit in. Cho is prolly the only thing Harimoto even knows how to say in Chinese.

I don't know how you manage to embarrass yourself every single time you post.

This user has no status.
Has Michael Kitt ever played outside of his garage ?

btw who were the loud players today ?

I thought JWJ was louder than Harimoto, from the start.
(thats maybe why Harimoto didn't win, he was not as combative as usual)

But the "surprise" is that CHEN Meng was very vocal against Miyu KATO against whom she was struggling
KATO never chos (or only by accident). Nor does CHEN, unless she is struggling (which happens rarely). Is she trying unfair tactics to put more pressure on her opponents ??? is it what the Chinese coaches teach their players ????

Somehow people are obsessed with Harimoto but hes the most adorable and most fairplay player of them all.

Last edited:
Reactions: iammaru and vvk1