Is Harimoto's screams disrespectful to the opponent?

Is Harimoto's screaming disrespectful to the sport and to his opponents?

• Total voters
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I don't know how you manage to embarrass yourself every single time you post.

There is a LONG HISTORY with STEEP COMPETITION for that title Mr. Zyu, I do not think dude is gunna even be able to fight for a participation medal there given what we have seen in the past unless he really steps it up... God forbid that...

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
There is a LONG HISTORY with STEEP COMPETITION for that title Mr. Zyu, I do not think dude is gunna even be able to fight for a participation medal there given what we have seen in the past unless he really steps it up... God forbid that...

In terms of sheer volume, someone else comes to mind... in terms of BS per post rate I must say we have an up and coming prospect here though:rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Has Michael Kitt ever played outside of his garage ?

btw who were the loud players today ?

I thought JWJ was louder than Harimoto, from the start.
(thats maybe why Harimoto didn't win, he was not as combative as usual)

But the "surprise" is that CHEN Meng was very vocal against Miyu KATO against whom she was struggling
KATO never chos (or only by accident). Nor does CHEN, unless she is struggling (which happens rarely). Is she trying unfair tactics to put more pressure on her opponents ??? is it what the Chinese coaches teach their players ????

Somehow people are obsessed with Harimoto but hes the most adorable and most fairplay player of them all.

Jang definitely turned it up late in the match when he smelled blood in the water, especially the 7th game. He was choing with equal ferocity to Harimoto. Personally I think he had every right to given the comeback. Chen Meng also got very loud late in the match with Kato and was doing so at the World Cup as well.

Don't worry, nobody will talk about that though :p

This user has no status.
Chorei is a winner's mentality.

You can watch the training video of myself with my coach. Its just training and I'm just an amateur, but he never forgets to chooo when there is a good occasion to do so...

and if you watch him playing in pro match, he is quite loud.

TLDR for guys like Hari or Oya, chorei is not acting, its the way they live their passion. I'm ready to bet Hari often choos while training, even if its multiball.

OTOH, i would make a point that CHEN or JWJ use the chos much more viciously... (and perhaps more effectively...)

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

You can watch the training video of myself with my coach. Its just training and I'm just an amateur, but he never forgets to chooo when there is a good occasion to do so...

TLDR for guys like Hari or Oya, chorei is not acting, its the way they live their passion. I'm ready to bet Hari often choos while training, even if its multiball.

OTOH, i would make a point that CHEN or JWJ use the chos much more viciously... (and perhaps more effectively...)

I guess Waldner and Persson never won anything.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think amateurs often dont appreciate that pro players experience of noise during matches is different from the ordinary.
I have been to many international events including 2 world championships 2 weeks of heaven twice!! (birmingham 77 and tokyo 83) The noise level is awesome with multiple tables in one hall. Especially during team events There will be non stop cheering squads from korea,Japan China sweden germany As a result the noise from the players is hardly noticeable and international players are hardened to it
On the other hand amateur players playing in small events are not acclimatised so they sometimes complain.
BTW if you havent been to a worlds event you should go it will blow your mind.
Any way though I am not shouter myself I would never want to lose the cheering squads as they add to the atmosphere
An international match with a single table is a liitle different, then the spectators should just cheer between points

I was also amazed by this at the 2017 WTTC. Of course my seats on one day were close to an entire regiment of ZJK fangirls.

This user has no status.

Nope he doesn't chorei when training :) I've seen him in training hall couple of times when he play world tour in Europe.

Confident Harimoto and Mima can somehow engineer a Gold Medal at Tokyo games next year?

I know Harimoto lost today but last 3 games have been really good, just needs fix up few things and some losses can turn into wins, will benefit off these losses in the long run

Harimoto is Chinese.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
I wasn't sure about Harimoto, what languages he speaks, that's why I didn't say it with certainty, though his last name is obviously Japanese.

In any case, all points I've made are valid. Proper logic would dictate to only loudly praise yourself in an individual game or sport when something eventful happens, like winning a close game, not 44 times per match. 1/44 is a micro step to victory, which is why it can be compared to boxing which is also an individual sport and can be won with about that many landed punches, and also has the element of people being self congratulatory early on but losing to the person who was not due to lack of focus. Tennis is the most direct comparison and they're generally super quiet after most points.

Don't know why I have to spell everything out for some of you. I'll go back to not posting anything...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I think it's ok to chole loud but not to the extent of distracting others around you, the match harimoto vsJWJj the crowd cheer every point JWJ makes, maybe crowds are also disturbed on screaming harimoto, when JWJ finally wins the match he screams on top of throat for the celebration

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

i used to like the discussions going on with that Archosaurus dude. I always had popcorn nearby

Aw man, I miss the days when Archo would compare playing TT to race car driving and explain intricate details about two things he had never actually done. :)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Miyazaki: A talent that only comes around 1 time in 100 years.

Yet here we are judging him with our paltry life experience? What have we done for table tennis, other than the constant nagging? Hidden serves, service toss, foot stomping, DHS for playing dealer, Butterfly for playing organ broker, ESN for playing Illuminati, and last but not least, shitty streaming/edits that you're watching for free?

This user has no status.
CHEN Meng chooing every point against SOLJA. She's struggling (down 0-2)... She even chooo'ed a serve miss from SOLJA at 3-5 in game 3.

But haters will stay haters. HARIMOTO is choooing genuinely. CNT is using CHOOO as a weapon as good professionals

Reactions: quanghuysk
Has Michael Kitt ever played outside of his garage ?

btw who were the loud players today ?

I thought JWJ was louder than Harimoto, from the start.
(thats maybe why Harimoto didn't win, he was not as combative as usual)

But the "surprise" is that CHEN Meng was very vocal against Miyu KATO against whom she was struggling
KATO never chos (or only by accident). Nor does CHEN, unless she is struggling (which happens rarely). Is she trying unfair tactics to put more pressure on her opponents ??? is it what the Chinese coaches teach their players ????

Somehow people are obsessed with Harimoto but hes the most adorable and most fairplay player of them all.
Bernadette Szocs screams a lot but i find her sexy ????

This user has no status.
Zeio if you think you should only comment on things you've done personally and not discussion can I recommend memoirs or a blog rather than a forum.

And yes choing is on the rise and should be curved a bit. It is a stupid way of degrading the skills required into screaming. It's just harimoto is the GOAT and world champ in situ of screaming men's with szocs for women. I don't complain much about her only because she isn't as good, ergo not as many matches to ruin.

Football has stopped the cheating divers with video ref and we should take similar steps to avoid table tennis becoming about seeing who can be the most distracting rather than skill.

I agree actually in his one match this tournament he was noteably more quiet than usual which was nice especially as he was dominating at first and still less loud. And actually JWJ was louder which sucked.

Jan 2018
Everyone is free to comment on everything but be prepared to get called out. You need a thick skin. That's the prerequisite to sharing your opinions in an international forum.