This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Let's play to 1 - very fast, everyone can win. Completly stupid event, overpaid with sponsors who have no idea what is going on. If there weren't so much money nobody would come.

I agree I was watching Calderano and Xu Xin last night and my impression was this is the stupidest table tennis concept I have seen in a while, Diamond events look better. Standard matches more entertaining. Japanese team isn't missing anything skipping this event

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIl_mJ3zK7B8WfRrXAI3f33XrDBm_Q-id
1080p video on YouTube is not bad for this. The 45 degree camera angle is pretty good, and side view camera is OK for highlights, but I still prefer the 45 degree look for match play.

This has the feel of T2, but the 5-point "battle" format allows for net clips and edges to have too big of an effect upon the games. And this happens quite frequently.

twitch.tv also carries a similar collection of match videos, but in 720p only.

I like Dan's commentary, and Cowan's commentary is decent too, though I have become used to Adam Bobrow's calling of the games and would like to have him back in the saddle.

Gab

This user has no status.

Gab

This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I like the new court design, the black floor, black table with orange edges, the orange ball, and so on. I think these changes are good and make table tennis renewed, more stylish.
However, I find some new rules confusing and pointless. Best of five, best of seven and best of nine games (final). Games with 5 points, 11 points, 8 points too? Sudden death yes but not in the final game... I think rules have to be clear and don't complicate the game more than necessary. I don't buy these changes.
Finally, about the camera angle, I think the side angle is interesting for replays and maybe some points. It shows a clear view of the table and allows the spectator to see better some footwork and movements, specially during the short game. I like it but not as the main camera angle. I totally agree with the ones who said that 45° angle is the best, even better than the back angle we're used to watch. It's fantastic. I hope ITTF chooses this 45° angle as the main one and keep this new side angle for replays.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Maybe a bit "off-topic" but I wonder if it would be nice , when playing with this new format, players
could wear individual dress style. They do that in Tennis etc.
One could get away from emphasizing countries and put more value on the individual players themself.

signed : brake down barriers ! (Just like in John Lennon's "" Imagine"")

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I like the new court design, the black floor, black table with orange edges, the orange ball, and so on. I think these changes are good and make table tennis renewed, more stylish.
However, I find some new rules confusing and pointless. Best of five, best of seven and best of nine games (final). Games with 5 points, 11 points, 8 points too? Sudden death yes but not in the final game... I think rules have to be clear and don't complicate the game more than necessary. I don't buy these changes.
Finally, about the camera angle, I think the side angle is interesting for replays and maybe some points. It shows a clear view of the table and allows the spectator to see better some footwork and movements, specially during the short game. I like it but not as the main camera angle. I totally agree with the ones who said that 45° angle is the best, even better than the back angle we're used to watch. It's fantastic. I hope ITTF chooses this 45° angle as the main one and keep this new side angle for replays.
Throughout the competition so far I hear the commentators saying many times that this event is sort of a test, see what works and what not for a new era of table tennis. I do hope this is true and they really drop some stuff that seems not to work very well, as you mentioned. For me it does look promising

Enviado de meu Redmi 7A usando o Tapatalk

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Fang Bo looks really bored and unmotivated against LYJ. He has won the first game though!

Dan’s comment is really good, probably because being an all round player himself. Fang couldn’t cope with Lin’s flick very well so his game resolved around avoiding that flick, so much that he made so many fail serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Games with 5 points, 11 points, 8 points too? Sudden death yes but not in the final game... I think rules have to be clear and don't complicate the game more than necessary. I don't buy these changes.

I actually quite like those 5 point games. They turn the heat straight on! I know I’m against the crowd here.

I think the problem is 5-sets of 5-points seems too short, and then they still leave towel time in... They probably could make a system like Tennis, like 3 sets of 3 games, 5 points in each game. Or at least 9 sets of 5 instead of 5. But these changes are bigger than they sound, especially regarding the fan’s reactions so I guess they’ll try a lot out over time to see how they work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Dan's commentary is pretty decent, good comments and insights etc. But can someone please tell Dan so that he can tell Jonny Cowan to stop doing all the oooooohhhhhh, aaaaaaahhhh whenever any players start doing looping game away from the table. How friggin annoying does he really not realize what he sounds like whenever he does that? And I think you can imagine what it sounds like.

And what a bunch of idiots (the camera crew I mean) for them thinking there's any benefit to watching the rally from the top view. What kind of morons that they think there is any purpose to top view at all? Watching it from a top view is just simply annoying there's absolutely no need for that angle to be included at all!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: deams59