This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I like that they play to 5 points. Feels a bit like set to 11 compared to 21. Players need to be really focused all the time or they will lose. So games can go more either way if someone is a bit sleepy which I find exciting.

I still miss more of an expert commentator that could talk more about the technique and tactics of the players. Feel like Dan probably knows a lot an could do this more. Do not feel like commentators give so much when they scream and just comment what they see.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
This one gave me a racing heart

Based on before pandemics i thought DN would be an easy pass for the other top CNT, but wasn't the case AT ALL.

The rallies were exciting and camera angles did a good job showing them. Great match and congrats to CXT

Enviado de meu Redmi 7A usando o Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I think WTT Macao is a really good test event for WTT. The branding stuff is really good.
From a commercial point of view, some of the changes are probably a bit over the top.

Biathlon is maybe the sport that has changed the most. However, they have some core elements that never change. You start and ends with cross country skiing, with x shootings in between. Always 5 targets (never 3 or 4). Always a penalty if you miss (time or a small extra lap). In most cases you win if you cross the goal line first. The change is that everything is open, instant and in a standard frame. The sport is the same, even if it is a show indoors in Gelsenkirchen. (Yes. Indoors. Skiing. Shooting. 50 000 spectators)....

Table tennis has allready done these changes.
We play to 11, you must win by two.
After 20 -twenty - years we are finally close to telling the world that this is the format!
(No, we don't play to 21 any more.....)...

To keep the core of the game is important for commercial reasons! We need people to play tt in basements, in schools, on kitchen tables. To make it fun, you need to know how you play. First to 11, win by two. Easy.

If you need a short showcase: Play one game to 11, win by 2.

If you need to show exciting, important points on television: Keep the deuce at 10-10, win by 2.

The sudden death is for me the strangest change from a commercial view. Why reduce the amount of important and exciting rallys? Why not make the suspense last a litte bit longer?
This is not how you write a crime novel, or a film. You build, build, build, cliffhanger, suspense, release, tension, suspense..........................boom! As my grandmother said...., "it wouldn't have been a movie orherwise...."...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Ok here's a rant about them trying to be too innovative/creative when it comes to different camera angles.

The top view is completely pointless and stupid angle to even include at all. There's no need it, it just doesn't belong in table tennis. Luckily they didn't include any top views in Ma Long vs Jeoung Youngsik match.

There is however a good angle shown at 0:49 in the video below. That angle is pretty interesting to watch and should include it more often.

But the thing is that they show almost the entire match from the side!! Sure you can show the side from time to time, but most of the time this isn't really the best angle imo. Are the camera crew or whoever decides of these angles really that dumb? It seems they really haven't got a clue of what they are doing sometimes and are just trying too hard to be different etc. but sometimes it's the best to stick to what has always worked before and not try these stupid angles that you can't even see the players properly.

Because really the best angles in TT are the ones that Atas Newton described in this thread in the post #28.

Last edited:
Reactions: balazs1234
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Ok... that's it... who in his right mind really thought top view is a great idea. One of the most expensive and prestigious event to date and they're not only capture every single match from the side angle which you can't even tell how much side spin is on the ball on various stroke.

But here at 2:49 Ding Ning pulls off a decent ball rescue from far away the table.

Tell me how what the fu* is going on in their heads who decided to pick the worst camera angles in TT history. What a bunch of morons are in charge of that seriously.

If you think this is ok, please tell me exactly how the fu* you even can see Ding Ning one of the best shot in the entire match from this angle. Even if she was actually in the picture it still wouldn't be able to see it properly but the thing is - she isn't even visible in that shot at all!!! This is ridiculous seriously, it's the best shot of the match and she isn't even visible!!! What a joke whoever thinks top and side angles are awesome. What a joke!!!

ding.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Why can't they just keep the corner angle for most of the match which is actually good and watchable? But that angle is shown only like a few points of the match only.

Reactions: karupinkun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I honestly don't mind much the side angle as long as they transition to the 45º one when rallies start. A few rallies I was today had this and made it less weird to watch, but the top view is something that I just can't. Hope they'll come to their senses and listen to the feedbacks of people for the next tournaments

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
I honestly don't mind much the side angle as long as they transition to the 45º one when rallies start. A few rallies I was today had this and made it less weird to watch, but the top view is something that I just can't. Hope they'll come to their senses and listen to the feedbacks of people for the next tournaments

Agreed that 45º angle that is in the top corner of the arena is actually pretty good, and yet they show it only like a few points of the match? Where's the friggin logic in that.

They show the side angle like 90% of the matches on the other hand, all they have to do is do the opposite and just show the match in that 45º corner angle. They already started doing that side angle in the previous ittf world tours for some time now, but only seldom. Now in this event is like the entire match? It just doesn't make any sense that they think this is great, it's just not conducive to the people that are watching it at all.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
IMO T2 was much better. We do not need so many changes, just slight difference should be enough. It is a pity that they can collect do much money for single test event while other events are very poor.
This side view - I am wondering who came up with this idea, I would love to meet this person. Maybe never played TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
IMO T2 was much better. We do not need so many changes, just slight difference should be enough. It is a pity that they can collect do much money for single test event while other events are very poor.
This side view - I am wondering who came up with this idea, I would love to meet this person. Maybe never played TT

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!
this is not a rocket science. Do some "market research" on what the consumer wants... or ask the people that watch table tennis !!! You ever see a tennis or badminton on tv showing " Top view? or Side view????
when i go watch a table tennis match either an international event or your local tournament.. the worst seat or spot to view is the center spot / side view... Do you think i want to follow the ball left and right the whole match???? Or do you want to make table tennis to be view like a 1970"s video game "PONG"????
The only time sideview is good for is to see the player form on his or her stroke...
Whoever suggested or approved this sideview camera should be fired...
Please , stick with the Top rear 3/4 view.....

Reactions: bzing and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Totally agree!!!!!!!!!
this is not a rocket science. Do some "market research" on what the consumer wants... or ask the people that watch table tennis !!! You ever see a tennis or badminton on tv showing " Top view? or Side view????
when i go watch a table tennis match either an international event or your local tournament.. the worst seat or spot to view is the center spot / side view... Do you think i want to follow the ball left and right the whole match???? Or do you want to make table tennis to be view like a 1970"s video game "PONG"????
The only time sideview is good for is to see the player form on his or her stroke...
Whoever suggested or approved this sideview camera should be fired...
Please , stick with the Top rear 3/4 view.....

I am not finish yet...
The person that suggested this side view angle is getting a big bonus
because they took out the big score table and in a side view angle their are more visible spots for advertising Logo. More money for them to make then better viewing angle for the consumers....