Avalox J-power vs. BT777

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I'm quite happy with my BT777. If there is any improvement I could think of, it would be in spin. I noticed a significant difference when moving from 5-ply to 7-ply. Especially underspin on serves, so I had to practice extra hard on that in the beginning to adjust.
SWAT can create more spin than both bt777 and bt555, so not all 7-plies are worse at it.
I'm quite satisfied with the stiffness and speed of bt777.
But I was thinking if something with hinoki outer would give me more spin than limba, so J-Power came to my attention. Though I'm not sure if all plies are hinoki or only the outer. But I would like to know from someone who has tried both what the differences are in terms of playing caracteristics.

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I've used the Avalox J-Tech which is the 5-ply version of the J-Power. If the comparison between the J-Tech and a typical 5-ply offensive blade (let's say the Xiom Offensive S) helps then I can say that the Hinoki outer definitely does allow for easier (note: "easier", I'm not sure about "greater") production of spin, and it creates a higher arc than a similar blade with a Limba outer.

How far that comparison will hold when applied to the 7-ply versions (ie. J-Power vs. BT777), I don't know.

One other point: Hinoki outer blades definitely have a distinct 'feel'. Some love it and some don't, but it's definitely quite different to Limba.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
I've used the Avalox J-Tech which is the 5-ply version of the J-Power. If the comparison between the J-Tech and a typical 5-ply offensive blade (let's say the Xiom Offensive S) helps then I can say that the Hinoki outer definitely does allow for easier (note: "easier", I'm not sure about "greater") production of spin, and it creates a higher arc than a similar blade with a Limba outer.

How far that comparison will hold when applied to the 7-ply versions (ie. J-Power vs. BT777), I don't know.

One other point: Hinoki outer blades definitely have a distinct 'feel'. Some love it and some don't, but it's definitely quite different to Limba.
Well, I guess that helps a bit.
So in your experience it's easier to produce spin, but might not be geater in the end in terms of maximum production. Is that what you meant?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Well, I guess that helps a bit.
So in your experience it's easier to produce spin, but might not be geater in the end in terms of maximum production. Is that what you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant.

Note, I'm also not saying that the maximum spin is lower with the Hinoki outer blade, merely that I don't know. Once you cross a certain threshold of spin (ie. when your training partner or opponent can't return your shot) then it's difficult to say whether whatever happens above that threshold is greater/lesser in either case.

I suppose the practical outworking of what I'm saying is that I found it easier to generate good spin on relatively low impact shots (eg. serves, slow loops, pushes, etc.) with the Hinoki outer blade than with a similar Limba outer blade. On high impact shots (ie. fast loops) I don't know if one produces greater spin than the other.

The main difference for me is the difference in feel between the two. I remember lending my bat (the J-Tech, I mean) to several players to try and some LOVED it and some didn't.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Yes, that's what I meant.

Note, I'm also not saying that the maximum spin is lower with the Hinoki outer blade, merely that I don't know. Once you cross a certain threshold of spin (ie. when your training partner or opponent can't return your shot) then it's difficult to say whether whatever happens above that threshold is greater/lesser in either case.

I suppose the practical outworking of what I'm saying is that I found it easier to generate good spin on relatively low impact shots (eg. serves, slow loops, pushes, etc.) with the Hinoki outer blade than with a similar Limba outer blade. On high impact shots (ie. fast loops) I don't know if one produces greater spin than the other.

The main difference for me is the difference in feel between the two. I remember lending my bat (the J-Tech, I mean) to several players to try and some LOVED it and some didn't.
Aarh okay thanks. I don't have much problem with spin on high impact. It's for serves I need it to be easier :)