Advice for son - new rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Hi,

My son has a Yasaka Sweden Extra with Mark V 2.0 on the FH and BH.

He'd been playing for about 9 months at a club up until corona hit and so apart from a bit of playing on our outdoor table his progress is very much on hold. I'd say he's at the stage of progressing but still very much learning his strokes as you'd expect.

For Christmas he's asked for some new rubbers so I'm after some advice on what to do. His current rubbers are definitely nearing end of life as I'd used the setup prior to him inheriting it.

I've had a look round and from what I can see I could either just get replacement Mark Vs or try something new which I'm leaning towards. I'm thinking of something like - Yasaka Rakza 7 (soft), DHS NEO Hurricane 3 or such like, but bottom line I'd like a recommendation for his next rubber moving on from the Mark Vs for use on the Sweden Extra.

I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Any help would be great.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Have your son used Chinese tacky rubbers? They are much different than other rubber type. Rubbers are all personal stuff. If he plays in a club encourage him to ask other players to give him a go with their setups and buy him what he likes... Or at least in general ball park of what he likes. 2* Rakza 7, Rakza 7 soft + 7, 2* Tibhar evolution (our kids use MX-P when they reach certain level), Mx-P + El-p all work lovely. If he likes chinese stuff than go for it. Jupiter 2 is best price to performance ratio. It is like 10$ bought from aliexpress. If he wants it, it is super cheap to try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Thanks for the reply.

He's not used anything apart from what he currently has and the problem with trying anything else atm is corona has closed his club and I'm not sure when its going to be open and when it does if they'll be encouraging "sharing"!

I appreciate its all personal so I guess at this stage I'm after more of a recommendation of what could be a good choice moving on from Mark Vs as he's progressing......unless the opinion is to stick with what he knows and just buy another pair of Vs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe he think it is booring but he will become a better player if he continues with rubber without built-in speed effect. Maybe you can buy something similar to Mark V so it still will be fun to get something new. I he really want with built in speed glue effect then i think proably Rigan would be better than Rakza.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
If he hasn’t been playing for a while then he will be even more frustrated with a rubber that plays much faster (Rakza 7) or much harder and tackier (Hurricane 3).

Get him an introductory tensor rubber like Xiom Vega Intro with max sponge thickness. It plays like a modern version of Mark V with better spin and speed but it will still be familiar enough that he won’t get frustrated. (I think Yasaka Rigan is similar)

If you insist on something faster than Vega Intro then maybe Andro Hexer Powergrip SFX or Butterfly Rozena. (They fall into the “intermediate” category)

Hurricane 3 will take a major adjustment to his technique and will be completely different. (And its too slow unboosted and paired with an Allround+ blade).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would suggest you just get Mark V again and if you wanted a little change, you could get Max instead of 2.0.

If he is not playing regularly indoors, at a club, with guidance (like a coach) as a result of CoVID right now, this may not be the time to make a big change. But a little more sponge might make the same rubber feel exciting. :)

says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
What Carl said. If you really want to change Xiom Intro is a solid rubber that goes well with YSE. He needs to use his strength to develop strokes rather than use the power from the paddle. If the ball goes out he will be afraid to hit hard.