I want to change my blade HL5. Could you help me please?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hello, they would be so kind to help me. Before I used the Donic Ovtcharov Senso Carbon and it was going well for me but I wanted a blade with more emphasis on the FH since I am FH dominant and I changed it for the Hurricane Long 5 but that was the worst decision I could have made, since my game I stagnant, I struggled foolishly for 1 year to try to control the HL5 my Backhand worked fine, but my Forehand was terrible, no matter how much I trained. My stroke is flat, I can close the angle of the shot and hit very hard, but I am not good at the Chinese type stroke from below and topspin, therefore I decided to change to a more rigid racket, the Donic Waldner Legend catches my attention due to its stiffness and because many reviews say that it is very linear, but I am concerned about the Hinoki and that the feeling will be very similar to the Hurricane Long 5. My style of play is similar to that of Wang Chuqin, I try to finish the point fast either from BH or FH. What's your opinion about it? Is the Waldner Legend a good blade for hitting hard and flat?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
maybe you need to highlight specific areas where you feel that you struggle eith HL5

Also, there will not be any blade that does "everything" you have to decide and olay accordingly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
maybe you need to highlight specific areas where you feel that you struggle eith HL5

Also, there will not be any blade that does "everything" you have to decide and olay accordingly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
The HL5 is no longer an option I already sold it. I'm not looking for a blade that does everything, I know that with my next blade I will lose effect and my serves will be worse, but I want to improve my Forehand, I'm just looking to know if the DWLC feels similar when playing HL5.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
If you want a blade that the composition is similar to the HL5 you should try Fang bo 2x (B2X), it's easier to use all the blade can give to you as the fibers are less dense comparing with the hl5, and when you feel you can use all the power the blade can give to you at every shot you should go to HL5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
If you want a blade that the composition is similar to the HL5 you should try Fang bo 2x (B2X), it's easier to use all the blade can give to you as the fibers are less dense comparing with the hl5, and when you feel you can use all the power the blade can give to you at every shot you should go to HL5.

I think that whole point of this thread is that he hates HL5. He likes to flat hit and smash. That is not something that either Fang Bo B2 or HL5 is good at...

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
this is my own two cents... or maybe just 1 cents. changing equipment will not helps your forehand looping problems.. you think your opponent will just hit to your backhand side only? Maybe invest on a coach or a training partner( with good forehand) to improved your forehand looping underspin ball and heavy topspin ball..

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I think that whole point of this thread is that he hates HL5. He likes to flat hit and smash. That is not something that either Fang Bo B2 or HL5 is good at...
Exactly.

Sounds like a linear 7-ply allwood blade might be what you're after. Perhaps something like the Tibhar Akkad? (https://ttgearlab.com/2018/11/03/tibhar-akkad-overview-lab-test/)
Because of where I live and personal preference I'd rather get a blade from the Donic.

buy the same blade that Mima Ito uses, she likes to flat-hit both FH and BH ;)
Because of where I live and personal preference I'd rather get a blade from the Donic.

this is my own two cents... or maybe just 1 cents. changing equipment will not helps your forehand looping problems.. you think your opponent will just hit to your backhand side only? Maybe invest on a coach or a training partner( with good forehand) to improved your forehand looping underspin ball and heavy topspin ball..
My Forehand is not bad, no problem they send the ball to the FH in fact it is what I look for in games, but I need a suitable blade for that to happen.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Next time I train with my practice partner I will record a video

That will be really useful. People mean well. But they are making recommendations based on what is in their head rather than based on seeing you play and what might actually be good for you based on how you play.

This user has no status.
How can you both: not be good at forehands and Chinese style looping
And
Playstype is like Wang LiQin.

I think you'll be fine with waldner legend carbon if you have the technique for it. It's hugely underrated. Great at flat hits and blocking because stiff carbon with hinoki and good dwell because hinoki. It's only big negative is the insane speed of it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
How can you both: not be good at forehands and Chinese style looping
And
Playstype is like Wang LiQin.

I think you'll be fine with waldner legend carbon if you have the technique for it. It's hugely underrated. Great at flat hits and blocking because stiff carbon with hinoki and good dwell because hinoki. It's only big negative is the insane speed of it

Well, one thing OP might be right about is that the points end quickly :cool:

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
You said you struggle with the forehand, struggle with topspin, and hit flat, so it is unlikely that your stroke represents Lin Gaoyuan's or Wang Chuqin's in any way. There is probably a technique issue at play here, and the blade choice likely will not matter, but I look forward to seeing the video that you will post, and we can make better suggestions after seeing that.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hinoki blades will feel totally different from the HL5. My Nobilis and HL5 are the total opposite.

So... on forehand you are only looking to block, push, and smash?
Why you say it feels completely different, could you give me more details about it please? Like which ball feels the most and which of the 2 is faster etc.

Basically yes looking to block, push, and smash, but also a blade that allows me to hit flat without as much difficulty as with the HL5 and that when I want to do an FH with lateral sidespin it works for me too, today I will upload a video and show what I say with examples.

You said you struggle with the forehand, struggle with topspin, and hit flat, so it is unlikely that your stroke represents Lin Gaoyuan's or Wang Chuqin's in any way. There is probably a technique issue at play here, and the blade choice likely will not matter, but I look forward to seeing the video that you will post, and we can make better suggestions after seeing that.
Maybe you're right, with today's video we can see if I'm doing something wrong.

BTW, what rubbers are you using the moment?
- Butterfly SK Carbon
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1 2.0
BH: Butterfly Rozena 2.1

I clarify that with this configuration I feel very good and this is my backup blade, the only problem is that it lacks power. It is the reason why I want to buy the Waldner Legend Carbón.

In about 7 hours I will be uploading a video vs a returnboard so that you have a clearer idea of ​​my FH

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Legend carbon is fast and stiff with a soft touch. Compared to FB carbon it feels like when you hit the ball it goes straight in that direction.
It also gets good spin on thin shots and backhands but it's way easy to overshoot when going for a big loop but it doesn't sound like it should be an issue. It suits medium hard tensor rubbers very well